Roane County Burglar Shot Dead

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HARRIMAN — A homeowner fatally shot a 19-year-old Rockwood man during a burglary, and authorities have charged an alleged accomplice in the break-in.

Michael S. Johnson died at the Roane Medical Center of injuries sustained about 7:55 p.m. Sunday after he entered through a window of the home at 419 Old Valley Road, according to a report filed by Roane County Sheriff’s Office Detective Greg Scalf.

Authorities arrested Preston D. Harvest, also 19, of Harriman and charged him with attempted aggravated burglary and vandalism. He was being held today in jail in lieu of $52,000 bond.

According to Scalf’s report, the homeowner alerted authorities that someone had broken into his home and he believed he shot the intruder. Responding officers located Johnson and Harvest, but the report did not state where they were found.

“Mr. Harvest admitted to RCSO deputies at the scene that he and the shooting victim had planned on burglarizing the resident’s home earlier that day, and added that later they had come back to the home and had attempted to force the homeowner’s front door open,†Scalf wrote in the report.

Harvest said he waited outside as Johnson entered the home through a window. A few moments later Harvest said he heard gunfire.

Scalf said crime scene investigators determined there was physical evidence confirming the homeowner’s version of what occurred and that Johnson was shot inside the home.

Johnson’s body was sent to the Regional Forensic Center in Knoxville for an autopsy.

Roane County Sheriff Jack Stockton was unavailable today for comment because he was engaged in the probe, his office said.

Once the investigation is complete the results will be sent to the District Attorney’s Office for review, Scalf noted in his report.

I think if things like this happened a higher percentage of the time breaking into house would happen less often

It happens way more than is reported. The problem is that defensive uses of guns are almost never reported outside their local area, while unlawful shootings often make national news. But there's no bias in the media.

HARRIMAN —

Johnson’s body was sent to the Regional Forensic Center in Knoxville for an autopsy.

wonder what the point of this is???? he died from a gunshot wound, end of story. why spend taxpayers money for autopsy. Medical examiners findings "subject died from gunshot wound" and "a little lead poisoning". B)

wonder what the point of this is???? he died from a gunshot wound, end of story. why spend taxpayers money for autopsy. Medical examiners findings "subject died from gunshot wound" and "a little lead poisoning". :taunt:

Not sure if there is some official policy on this but it does give the ME some practice. ;)

Guest bkelm18
wonder what the point of this is???? he died from a gunshot wound, end of story. why spend taxpayers money for autopsy. Medical examiners findings "subject died from gunshot wound" and "a little lead poisoning". :taunt:

Pretty sure it's the ME that determines the exact cause of death and determines whether it is consistent with the going theory, ie. self defense.

Another great ending yesterday in Chattanooga.

12/20/2009 - Registered Gun Carrier Shoots Home Invader - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

Police said a registered gun carrier used his weapon on two men carrying out a home invasion at his residence on Sunday.

One of the home invaders is listed in serious condition at Erlanger Hospital following the incident at 6207 Stockton Dr.

According to the homeowner, Marcus Grier, he stopped by his home briefly to use the bathroom. He said he had his gun with him at the time of the home invasion.

While at home, he said he heard someone enter his residence. He was met by two armed men who told him to give them his money.

Mr. Grier told police that he began firing at the pair and shot at least one of the suspects.

A short time later, one of the men, Leon McKinney, showed up at Erlanger suffering from several gunshots wounds to his chest and legs.

The second suspect is still unknown, but investigators are working to identify him.

I'm not completely sure about Tennessee law but in most states, an autopsy is required by law in every case where the death is not already known to be of natural causes and/or where a crime was involved.

Well, he burglarized the wrong house, naturally he got his ticket punched.

There, does that count?

Another great ending yesterday in Chattanooga.

12/20/2009 - Registered Gun Carrier Shoots Home Invader - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

Police said a registered gun carrier used his weapon on two men carrying out a home invasion at his residence on Sunday.

One of the home invaders is listed in serious condition at Erlanger Hospital following the incident at 6207 Stockton Dr.

According to the homeowner, Marcus Grier, he stopped by his home briefly to use the bathroom. He said he had his gun with him at the time of the home invasion.

While at home, he said he heard someone enter his residence. He was met by two armed men who told him to give them his money.

Mr. Grier told police that he began firing at the pair and shot at least one of the suspects.

A short time later, one of the men, Leon McKinney, showed up at Erlanger suffering from several gunshots wounds to his chest and legs.

The second suspect is still unknown, but investigators are working to identify him.

I saw that article as well, and was glad to hear that the gun owner gave the guy more than what he bargained for. Justice was served. I have my permit and keep my gun on or very near me all the time, even when at home. I sleep with it in arms reach.