P32 for concealed carry?

Guest Satt

I am waiting on my carry permit to arrive in the mail and while it is on it's way I have been considering the type of gun I want to carry. I was thinking mostly the Kel-Tek P32. I have held it at Fugate Firearms and immediately liked it. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this gun and could give me any thoughts about it.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason, I had a P-32. It worked fine and is a good size for a concealed carry. Personally, I prefer something with a bit more penetration than a .32 Auto, but some very knowledgeable packers like them just fine.

Have you looked at the Kel-Tec P3AT, .380 Auto? It's essentially the same size as the P-32 but has a bit more power. That's what I have ended up with and like it a lot.

I looked at the P3AT but many people on the web have said it has way too much recoil compared to the P32. I want to be able to practice without my hand going numb. LOL. I don't know for sure though because I have never fired either one.

I have a P32 and find it very handy to carry in the summertime when wearing shorts and t-shirt. I use an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. When the weather cools off, I switch back to my Glocks. Yes, I do feel undergunned with the P32, but its better than going unarmed. My P32 has been 100% reliable.

Guest rockytop
Jason, I had a P-32. It worked fine and is a good size for a concealed carry. Personally, I prefer something with a bit more penetration than a .32 Auto, but some very knowledgeable packers like them just fine.

Have you looked at the Kel-Tec P3AT, .380 Auto? It's essentially the same size as the P-32 but has a bit more power. That's what I have ended up with and like it a lot.

+ 1 on Mars experience, and I don"t think the recoil is very strong on the P3AT.

P32s are fine...

But, if you carry it, carry FMJ ammo... the .32acp hollowpoint ammo currently on the market penetrates little more than half as far as most agencies consider to be effective, and the FMJ ammo does. Practice, aim carefully, and hit a vital spot.

I would seriously advise you to get a steel compact revolver in .38special or .32 H&R as a first SD gun... that, or a mid/full-size 9mm semi-auto. Convenience when carrying is better achieved after proficiency is attained with a manageable tool, plus, you'll have a gun which is easy to shoot that you can keep for a long time, even after you're carrying something else.

P32s are fine...

But, if you carry it, carry FMJ ammo... the .32acp hollowpoint ammo currently on the market penetrates little more than half as far as most agencies consider to be effective, and the FMJ ammo does. Practice, aim carefully, and hit a vital spot.

I would seriously advise you to get a steel compact revolver in .38special or .32 H&R as a first SD gun... that, or a mid/full-size 9mm semi-auto. Convenience when carrying is better achieved after proficiency is attained with a manageable tool, plus, you'll have a gun which is easy to shoot that you can keep for a long time, even after you're carrying something else.

Not bad advice.

I found the P32 hard to shoot with a really lousy trigger. The only advantage to the gun is its size. Maybe price as well. After that its all downhill.

I'd recommend the Polish P64 with a trigger job over the kel tec any day.

I have one but I do not carry a hand gun. The P32 has function fine for me and I only purchase FMJ's as mentioned in other posts. I only take it out and shoot for fun. I purchased a 10-rnd mag with a nice extension and it fits my hand very well. It was a little hard to find the 10 round mag. You can get a pocket clip for these but like I said, I do not carry. I have a buddy that has the 3PAT. It functions well for him. The early production models of the 3PAT had a known feed issue so be careful to check this out.

I had a gen 1 P3AT and now have a gen 2. The Gen 1 needed a bit more polishing of the feed ramp and/or break in than the current model. I've had no feed problems with the current one or after about 100 rounds and a fluff & buff on the gen 1. In short, if there was a feed problem, they fixed it.

As to practice with these...of course you should practice, but these are not target pistols. They are designed for close range self-protection. at 5 to 12 feet, you don't need practice so much as presence of mind to make the shot.

But you need to get what you are comfortable with, otherwise you won't carry it. I went through a North American .22 lr revolver, Beretta Tomcat (.32 Auto) and P-32 before settling on the P3AT. Any of them would work fine.

Guest Boomhower

I just recently acquired a P3AT, as per Mars's advice, and love it. I was advised of these same issue's but also limp wristing these little guns, and that was the only issue I had with it. Straight out of the box, I put 6 out of the 7 rds. well inside of an 8" plastic plate, and the one that got away was the first shot. I was just blowing one off to acquire a feel for the recoil of the gun. I put somewhere between 50 to 75 rds. thru it that session and had 3 or 4 FTF's (refer to the limp wristing issue). Once I tightened up my grip, I never had another FTF.

I did find recoil a bit snappy with the P3AT, but I can only get 2 good fingers on the grip. After about 3 shots, I have to reposition my grip. That's the only down fall that I have been able to find with this little guy.

Concealibility is excellent. I carry it everyday now, and honestly forget it is there a lot of the times. Although this is bad for when you are not suppose to be carrying, (ie: restaurants that serve for consumption, work place if yours is like mine, federal buildings, etc.). I try to keep my mind on it when I do carry it, in case I ever need it. I don't need my mind forgetting that I have it with me.

Here's a pretty good comparison of the P32 and the P3AT.....and here's another good comparison of the P3AT and it's bigger brother, the PF9 in case you would like to consider a little more caliber in a smaller gun, although the PF9 comes close to getting you out of a pocket size gun IMHO.

Concealibility is excellent. I carry it everyday now, and honestly forget it is there a lot of the times. Although this is bad for when you are not suppose to be carrying, (ie: restaurants that serve for consumption, work place if yours is like mine, federal buildings, etc.).

I do that all the time when I'm not "working". Did it twice in about two hours in two states during Bristol's Rhythm & Roots Reunion. But you will hopefully remember you have it if you see metal detectors.... :D

Have been wanting to purchase a 1911 but I'm thinking of going with one of these for carry purposes. I like the idea of pocket carry, especially during the holidays. You got to watch hugs from family members, if they go low, you can be made.:doh: Some family members don't have a clue.:D

The 1911 is more of a "just because I have to have one" My XD would be my primary carry, and the Kel Tech would be my "work", around family and don't want to scare them piece and BUG.

I am leaning toward the PF-9.

How much are ya'll seeing them run for?

I got to play with a H&K P30 today. It has most of the advantages of the USP in a variant 3, which is how I have the USP 40 set up. That's a de-cocker but no safety. I really like the de-cocker beside the hammer on the rear of the handgun.

P30_links.jpg

It has both exchangeable backstrap inserts and also grip shells.

backstrap.jpg

The DA trigger is much better than the USP - quite good in fact and SA is very nice indeed.

It would obviously make a good carry weapon. Only disadvantages are that it is 9mm and of course the price. Like most (all?) H&K products, the more you learn about it, the more you understand that price.

Guest canynracer

I plan on the pf9 for short term, till I can muster enough cash to get the M&P compact. jsut cant decide if I want the 40 or the 9mm m&p...I am leaning toward the 40 seeing that I will still have the pf9, and the Sigma 9VE... :)~

Is the life expectancy of the Kel Tecs a problem? They report a 6,000 round lifetime on their website (http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/faq.php). At 100 rounds per month for proficiency, you have 5 yrs of life for around $300. For those that own them, is this accurate, and is it worth it? I would like to own a nice pocket gun, but that has me wondering. A J-frame S&W seems like a good deal considering life expectancy of the gun.

I don't find that I put many rounds through the P3AT. It's just not intended as a plinker or target gun. For it's intended purpose as a self-protection weapon and for the normal 5-12 foot range of use for such incidents, you don't need much practice.

I could see shooting the PF-9 more often but I look at it also as an IWB carry gun. The caliber goes up, but the shooting range doesn't for self-protection use.

For only about $500 more you could get the P30 I mentioned above and not have to worry about service life. :)

Canynracer, if I was going to carry an M&P it would be in a sidearm holster. I don't like Glock/M&P/XD type pistols for IWB use for a number of reasons. [Gotta find a bunker emoticon :rofl:] So I'd go in a 40 S&W caliber for it if I was carrying it for urban protection. I like 9mm for IWB or rural protection or general shooting.

I don't find that I put many rounds through the P3AT. It's just not intended as a plinker or target gun. For it's intended purpose as a self-protection weapon and for the normal 5-12 foot range of use for such incidents, you don't need much practice.

I could see shooting the PF-9 more often but I look at it also as an IWB carry gun. The caliber goes up, but the shooting range doesn't for self-protection use.

For only about $500 more you could get the P30 I mentioned above and not have to worry about service life. :)

Canynracer, if I was going to carry an M&P it would be in a sidearm holster. I don't like Glock/M&P/XD type pistols for IWB use for a number of reasons. [Gotta find a bunker emoticon :eek:] So I'd go in a 40 S&W caliber for it if I was carrying it for urban protection. I like 9mm for IWB or rural protection or general shooting.

Ok, I will bite, why not IWB for Glock/M&P/XD?:rofl:

I agree...

Blocky, squarish pistols are not conducive to comfort in the waistband... plus, the Glock and M&P have fairly light triggers with no safety (at least the XD has a grip safety, which would provide more than adequate protection). Using a rigid holster which protects the trigger solves the second problem, but accentuates the first.

I agree...

Blocky, squarish pistols are not conducive to comfort in the waistband... plus, the Glock and M&P have fairly light triggers with no safety (at least the XD has a grip safety, which would provide more than adequate protection). Using a rigid holster which protects the trigger solves the second problem, but accentuates the first.

IMO, and I base this on what I wear everyday, that doesn't have to be the case. I wear the CTAC and have no problems with comfort. My clothes are a size bigger than I need, I have about a 33" waist, my clothes are 34". I was lucky in the fact that I already was buying the 34" because the 33"s are just too hard to find consitently, but I digress. With the combination of the good holster, the properly sized pants, I have had no problems with comfort, with the exception being, after a good meal that I happen to overeat, you know the kind, where you have to unbutton:D

The CTAC is rigid so it does protect the trigger, and I have the XD so the grip safety is there.

I have taken a fighting pistol street course (drawing and firing, moving and firing, mulitple targets, behind cover, etc) and used my CTAC, shot close to 500 rounds that day and have become quite accurate in drawing from my IWB holster and quite fast. It has taken practice though.

Problem with IWB: The last two months my waistline.....well has increased ever so slightly:D, Some brands of clothing make it harder and more uncomfortable to wear. But since the baby is here, I can stop sympathy eating;)

Ok, I will bite, why not IWB for Glock/M&P/XD?:)

I assume because they are blocky.

But I IWB my Smith 19 2 /12 inch often with no problem. And I am not exactly Kate Moss thin. With IWB holster quality is paramount. A cheap holster will be excruciating while a good/expensive one will be well worth it.