CC extra magazine

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
I've only been carrying a few weeks. G23 in a crossbreed supertuck. works great but I'v not found a comfortable/convenient way to cc an extra magazine.

what do you do? just one in the pocket?

Whether the experts tend to agree with that or not, that's what I tend to do. It goes in my weak-side, front pocket, by itself. I try to keep keys, etc. in a pocket away from it.

Whether the experts tend to agree with that or not, that's what I tend to do. It goes in my weak-side, front pocket, by itself. I try to keep keys, etc. in a pocket away from it.

Okay, scrunch down, pull you spare mag out.

I dont normally carry a spare either. If I cant hit them before I empty one mag, I need to get to the range more.

Salt Lake City Trolly Mall.

The most likely problem with an autoloader is a bad/faulty magazine. You don't get to decide when, where, or how it fails. Extra mag is just a little (more) insurance.

I often wonder how many people who claim if they can't hit them in one mag have considered the idea of a failure to stop, more than one hooligan, or heaven forbid under the extreme stress of trying to not die they just might not be up to their square range shooting standards?

Salt Lake City Trolly Mall.

The most likely problem with an autoloader is a bad/faulty magazine. You don't get to decide when, where, or how it fails. Extra mag is just a little (more) insurance.

I often wonder how many people who claim if they can't hit them in one mag have considered the idea of a failure to stop, more than one hooligan, or heaven forbid under the extreme stress of trying to not die they just might not be up to their square range shooting standards?

We could also always beard body armor.

I think everyone should do what they feel comfortable with.

Two spare mags carried SOB in a Galco mag holder for whatever my primary gun is that day.

carry spare mags

always carry them in the same place

TRAIN by relaoding from your mag holder, even if on the range.

Ditto, anything can happen. Spare mags are just a bit more insurance from Murphy. Pick your favorite holster manufacturer and I'm sure they have a good mag pouch thats usable.

Guest Bronker
I think he means that if you are squatted down, it is going to be hard to draw a mag out of your front pocket.

Gotcha...thinking / hoping that if I'm squatted down in an attempt to take cover, I'm in full deployment of all of my options already. That's the plan anyway. Like I said, certainly is not the best carry option, but there are worse ones.

Guest Muttling
I think I've accepted that if I need more than the 17+1 rounds my 9mm holds, that God didn't intend for me to live through that gunfight.

I would just look for a mag holder that you can slip on your belt.

Matthew

+1

I carry a J frame and only carry my speed strip when wearing a jacket. If I can't hit them in the first 5, I deserve to loose.

I think he means that if you are squatted down, it is going to be hard to draw a mag out of your front pocket.

That would be correct. The "normal" result of crouching down is the non-shooting knee up effectively locking the front pocket. That would be why it is a good idea to train yourself if doing a reload with retention to stick the mag in your back pocket.

I usually just slip it in the left rear pocket (don't like front pocket, since it would be harder to access while crouched down, and you better believe I'll be crouching if it's bad enough to need a reload...), but I occasionally use a mag pouch, especially in the winter, when clothing is easier to provide room for one.

I always carry a spare reload, an 8 rd Wilson mag for my 1911 or a speed strip for my J frame. With any luck I will never have to use my gun at all, but if I do I hope to have more ammo than I need. I carry the spare mag in an Uncle Mikes' single mag pouch, it is plastic and open top, makes for a quick reload. I use the same gear for IDPA, so I stay sharp using them. I shot a match recently with the 5 shot J frame .38 using speed strips to reload, that is a real eye opener about what you can and cannot do with a snubby. The shooting part is fine, but the reloading is slow.