AK 47 Shooting Issues

Guest KarlS

I have what should be a minor issue with one of the AK47's I have. The Romanian SAR1 with full stock is an absolute killer to shoot! Honestly there have been 4 or 5 besides myself that have shot it and handed it back and said no thanks. ??? The pistol grip hand gets hammered so hard with sharp vibrations that literally after a couple of mags your hand is rendered useless. It'll take the better part of a half hour to get the feeling back in your hand. The Hungarian I have is a folder and I could shoot it all day long and when folded you're relying more on the pistol grip than the other.

Anyone ever heard of this before? I know there's some AK junkies out there that have an answer for a fix. What the H is it?

Also mag questions. I just bought 2 40 round pre-ban unused metal 40 rnd mags for $22.50 each. What determines it's pre-ban? He may have more should I buy more at that price?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kennymc
I have what should be a minor issue with one of the AK47's I have. The Romanian SAR1 with full stock is an absolute killer to shoot! Honestly there have been 4 or 5 besides myself that have shot it and handed it back and said no thanks. ??? The pistol grip hand gets hammered so hard with sharp vibrations that literally after a couple of mags your hand is rendered useless. It'll take the better part of a half hour to get the feeling back in your hand. The Hungarian I have is a folder and I could shoot it all day long and when folded you're relying more on the pistol grip than the other.

Anyone ever heard of this before? I know there's some AK junkies out there that have an answer for a fix. What the H is it?

Also mag questions. I just bought 2 40 round pre-ban unused metal 40 rnd mags for $22.50 each. What determines it's pre-ban? He may have more should I buy more at that price?

Usually means the mag was made/imported prior to the 94 assault weapons bill. Means nothing to you now because you live in the mostly free state of TN. As far as imported AK mags never had date stamps during the ban, they just stopped importing them, had to get the 10 single stack mags.

Some people are also referring to newer non-ban compliant items as pre-ban (should be called "no-ban"), this is deceptive to people in occupied territories.

Not a terrible price for a new steel 40 rounder. You can get 30s for under $10 online.

Oh, you live in New Hampshire I guess. Sorry. I don't think yall have any wacky gun laws either.

Edited by kennymc
I have what should be a minor issue with one of the AK47's I have. The Romanian SAR1 with full stock is an absolute killer to shoot! Honestly there have been 4 or 5 besides myself that have shot it and handed it back and said no thanks. ??? The pistol grip hand gets hammered so hard with sharp vibrations that literally after a couple of mags your hand is rendered useless.

Is your spring kinked or shortened? Did someone drill out your gas hole to "help" it cycle?

You SAR1 should be easier on the hand/shoulder than the AMD.

Does it hurt the whole hand on the pitol grip or primarily the trigger finger? Some Century SAR rifles are known to have "trigger slap" which causes the trigger to reset forward very sharply and hurts primarily the trigger finger.

The easiest fix if trigger slap is the problem is to replace the hammer, trigger, and disconnector (fire control group) with a quality US made replacement like the TAPCO G2 set.

Is your spring kinked or shortened? Did someone drill out your gas hole to "help" it cycle?

You SAR1 should be easier on the hand/shoulder than the AMD.

No kink and same length as the other. Gas hole looks fine. Yes it should be much easier having a full stock.

Does it hurt the whole hand on the pitol grip or primarily the trigger finger? Some Century SAR rifles are known to have "trigger slap" which causes the trigger to reset forward very sharply and hurts primarily the trigger finger.

The easiest fix if trigger slap is the problem is to replace the hammer, trigger, and disconnector (fire control group) with a quality US made replacement like the TAPCO G2 set.

I'll shoot it over the next couple of days as long as we miss the snow storm. As I recall it was mainly around the trigger finger and thumb. I'll try to identify it more closely. Trigger slap problem makes sense.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree that this sound like trigger slap which is caused by a crappy Century Arms fire control group. The best fix is to replace the FCG (about $30), or you can grind down part of the existing FCG to help eliminate the problem. There is a tab on the back side of the disconnector that should be removed.

At one point, there was a good tutorial on how to do this on gunsnet,m but it looks like it is gone. This might help though:

Trigger Slap

I can always try grinding the tab off first. If I screw it up I can always buy the kit. Yep looks like crappy parts! They sure differ alot. Nice link Auburn. Thanks

Think I'll order the Tapco anyway. The reviews are all good. I'll check the reciever to determine whether it's single or double hook and order it. I'll re-post when I'm done and let you all know how I made out. I came to the right place.

Edited by KarlS
addition
I can always try grinding the tab off first. If I screw it up I can always buy the kit. Yep looks like crappy parts! They sure differ alot. Nice link Auburn. Thanks

Think I'll order the Tapco anyway. The reviews are all good. I'll check the reciever to determine whether it's single or double hook and order it. I'll re-post when I'm done and let you all know how I made out. I came to the right place.

If you do decide to alter the original parts, make sure to test fire with 2-3 rounds in the mag.

People FLIP when they hear full-auto.... :D

If you do decide to alter the original parts, make sure to test fire with 2-3 rounds in the mag.

People FLIP when they hear full-auto.... :D

It would get my attention. Thanks for the advice. I have ordered the G2 kit already and hope to have it in by the end of next week if shipping gets it here in time.