Kimber Owners

Guest Oaklands

Guest Oaklands

I recently sold my SA XD45 I bought earlier this year to fund buying a used Kimber SS Pro Carry II. I'm hoping it will arrive next week before Christmas.

Are there other owners of the particular gun on this forum? If so, please share your opinions and how you like or dislike the gun.

Thanks...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stainless? or SIS? I have a Kimber Pro Carry II in .45.

It is black and I put rosewood grips on it.

This gun's nicknamed Eeyore.

I call it that because I think it is a jacka$$ and must be depressed since I choose my Beretta over it everytime.

I know it is a nice gun and is very accurate but I just don't like it very well(smaller grip than I like,don't like the safety features,etc...

It is a good concealed carry and the personal issues I have with it would not matter if I HAD to use it for defense.

I just don't have fun with it at the range.

I sure hope you have a better relationship with yours.

My husband loves this gun and has agreed to buy me another to replace it and he will take it over.

I only shoot .45 but evidently this 1911 model just is not for me.

I expected more from a 'Kimber'

If your going 1911,i would stay SA. Kimbers are about Flash more than functionality.

:D ..........and Glocks are more about functionality than flash right!!

I owned one until I passed it to a friend to fund another toy. I enjoyed it. Put about 3K worth of rounds through it. Good choice in a defensive pistol for carry or home.

SA552500.jpg

SA553069.jpg

SA553063.jpg

Just a suggestion to not waste cash, if you're planning on carrying it, get a good holster the first time and get a double mag pouch to match.

Guest TnDeerHunter

I like a Ford truck over a Chevy, All 1911's are good some better than others. I have 3 Kimbers I have not had any problems with any of them. Dollar for dollar I agree a Dan Wesson is hard to beat.

Guest Oaklands

kwi45919 has the one I am getting. I have read about some issues people have had with it, but others love it. Most of the people who had issues really liked them once they worked through it.

As to a Dan Wesson. Yep, I was looking for one of those first, but could not find one in my price range. I would have made it my first pick.

All of my guns are matte or blued, so I wanted to add something different to my collection.

If you get right down to it, the best buy for the money are the Bersas I own. Easy to conceal, very accurate shooters and a great buy. I'm going to the range this weekend to try out my new American Classic II Deluxe.

I have a 1st generation 4" Pro CDP and it is my carry gun. I believe a .45 is the best choice for carry and this gun shoots very accurately and I have not had a problem with it. I have Glocks, Berettas, H&K's, FN's and Sig's.

I like them all and they all shoot very nicely and accurately.

Ill just say i prolly would have stayed with the SA.

If your going 1911,i would stay SA. Kimbers are about Flash more than functionality.

I guess you mean flash at the end of the barrel perhaps. I carry a Kimber Pro CDP II as my EDC and as far as functionality goes, after 6 to 7 hundred rounds, every time I pull the trigger it goes boom and does it accurately. How much more function do you need?

I recently sold my SA XD45 I bought earlier this year to fund buying a used Kimber SS Pro Carry II. I'm hoping it will arrive next week before Christmas.

Are there other owners of the particular gun on this forum? If so, please share your opinions and how you like or dislike the gun.

Thanks...

You may find some more friendly opinions of Kimbers on this 1911 forum. On the Kimber sub-forum anyway.

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

For around the same money, I prefer a Dan Wesson over a Kimber.

I've shot both (and own a DW), and I'll attest to that statement. I'm not a Kimber "hater", but in all honesty - they're a pretty gun that gives owners a sense of, "I made the right choice, by spending $1000.00 on this" kind of ownership experience. I do not like them, simply because I've had reliability problems with the ones that I've shot (TLE II and Custom II). I'll forever own a SA, DW, or Colt, over a Kimber. Anyday. The fact that I've talked to several gun store owners (not just some guy behind the counter), and have gotten the honest opinions of them, only helps to solidify my opinion of why I'll never own one. There are so many other better guns out there for the money, and brands like STI, higher-line Springfields, Dan Wesson, and even some Para Ordnance pistols (yeah, some don't like them, but my SSP outshoots almost anything in my collection, including my Pointman 7) are better choices for the smart money.

Some just like to be in the "Kimber" club, though. Good for them.

Guest That Guy

Don't have a pro-carry II; My Kimber is a Custom (5") TLE II that I've had some work done to. Good call on the SS because Kimber's finish is not the best. Less than a year and I could see holster wear. Also, I was shocked to find out that only a few (like 2 or 3) models feature a SS barrel. The rest are polish carbon-steel, which is much more susceptible to oxidation. Those two factors alone prompted me to send mine off for some work.

The finish is a non-issue for you, but I would consider getting a SS drop-in or having a match barrel fitted. But all-in-all, nice shooters and 1911s are great carry guns!

Edited by That Guy

So far my Pro CDP has not give me a bit of trouble. I have about 500 rounds with no problems at all. I also read the mixed reviews but found a deal on this used one I could not pass up. So far it has been great.

I will trade it one of these days, but it will be to move up to one of the custom makers. Maybe even a Hero-Gear.:D

Guest HexHead

I had a SS Pro Carry II as my main carry gun for about 18 months. It was the first of my two Kimbers. I only had one FTRB within the first 50 rounds and after that it ran flawlessly. I used Wilson 47D mags in it and I'd strongly recommend them.

I ended up selling it for three reasons. It was the same size as my Nighthawk and the NHC shot groups half the size, I prefer a bushing and didn't like having to use the "pin" or a paper clip to field strip itl and I really didn't like the workings of the Swartz safety. You have to be careful not to depress the grip safety when removing or reinstalling the slide, or you risk shearing off the piston and making the pistol inoperative.

Regardless of my personal feelings about it, it's a quality pistol. Enjoy it and shoot the hell out of it. :D