Which shotgun?

flyanything

I'm thinking about getting my wife a shotgun to give me for Christmas. I like everything tactical. I would prefer pump action. Short barrel. What would be your recomendation for one not too pricey, just reliable? The shotgun is about the only thing I don't have. You can say cannons, but I have them too.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drewsett

I got the Maverick 88 by Mossberg...it came with the 18.5 barrel and was a little over 200 OTD at Academy...you'll have plenty of money left over for accesories :bs:

Guest HexHead
I got the Maverick 88 by Mossberg...it came with the 18.5 barrel and was a little over 200 OTD at Academy...you'll have plenty of money left over for accesories :)

That's what I plan to get. Not like I'm gonna be shooting skeet with it. :bs:

I have an O/U for that. :drool:

870, at the local sportsman's warehouse you can get the Remington factory HD Express 12g or 20g for $299 it comes factory with an 18inch barrel and mag extension. I've owned one while the action wasn't as smooth as my old wingmaster's it was still a reliable no matter what I fed it.

Guest That Guy

I agree; the 870 is an inexpensive, tough, and very reliable pump-action. I've had others. Got a 1300 defender, which I love. But the 870 has become my go-to shotgun. As for the tacticool, they are like to Honda Civics of the shotgun world; everyone makes something for 'em.

Another option would be a Serbu..'cause she REALLY loves you. At least that could be your excuse. LOL.

Guest mikedwood

With a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 either one you can do whatever can be done to doll up a shot gun. Which ever you choose get one of those two for the best options as far as stocks, rails, barrels, shot shell holders. Whatever you can do to one you can do to the other.

I could be wrong on this but I think the extension tubes are easier to add to the 870.

• 2 weeks later...
Benelli Shotguns | Benelli M4

Benelli m4. Pumps sound good. Try shooting while moving. If you haven't noticed I don't like being a bullet magnet.

If I can't shoot accurately while evading the threat why bother. Next time you're training set up targets and get off the X while firing. The result may open your eyes. JMHO

Total pistol grips are for punks who like to look cool but usually end up with lead in their a**.

Dude...wtf?

get off the X? do you sell t-shirts too?????

I just got a Pardner Pump from dicks for $219 and it is excellent. It is a clone of the 870 and takes all the same accessories. Great bargain. I did a little research before getting mine and I didn't find anything negative. BTW I've had 870's and 500's and for Pardner is not a lesser. Here's my thread. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/show-tell/31979-new-shotty.html

You another 12 yr old aint your dude, DUDE

Yep have a t shirt. Ever tried moving and shooting accurately or just call people dude while standing and shooting stationary paper.

I smell a troll....and how about lookin me up one day and callin me a 12 year old to my face.....THEN TRY TO GET OFF THE X!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aint gonna happen....DUDE!!!!!

Oh...and by the way....when you try to get off the X....dont worry about me drawing on you....I wont need to.

Edited by titan14

And what part about realistic practice is moving while shooting.... WHEN A SHOTGUN IS USED IN THE HOME. Not on a gorram battlefield. You're going to be in familiar settings, a generally confined space, in which you aren't going to be combating the entire gorram taliban. You aren't going to be on an open range, you're going to be IN YOUR HOUSE. In which case, you should be more focusing on basic marksmanship training, or if you're crazy, you can do some "clearing" training, which would be more useful.

Now, as for the OP. Any major reputable shotgun will do. Mossberg, Remington, Maverick, Pardner, Charles Daley, there are many. They'll all do you good. They all have their own qualities, and features. I suggest that you research exactly what you want to do to it. You can do just about everything to any of them, except that the Mossberg 500 series of shotguns have no magazine extensions, the tubes are sealed. You would have ot replace the whole tube. The 590 series, on the other hand, can have an extension. And, they sell several models with them installed already. The 590 is more expensive, though.

And if you feel like an auto, there are plenty of those as well.

Above all, I suggest you handle all of them, and pick the one that FITS YOU BEST. Fit is the most important thing in a shotgun.

LOL another bad guy behind a computer screen.

A couple times playing with simunitions taught me that dudes like you usually lose but will be glad to prove that to you if you would like. Keep your family troll name to yourself.

Now on to better things if you are not training to move and shoot why train at all. Standing still in a bad situation = bullet magnet. Distance and accuracy is your friend. If you are not utilizing both it will cost you dearly. JMHO

I think when he talks about move and shoot he meant you MOVE to the ditch while your buddies/family SHOOT. Get off the X! :)

Guest Jack Brickhouse

I saw some very nice looking tactical Charles Daily at Gun Show back in the late spring and they were $100.00 cheaper than the 870's. I must admit I went with an 870 only because I don't know anything about Chales Daily.