7mm vs 30 06

my82cam

Guest 70below

I think you'll be very happy with that rifle.

I always had a 30-06 and my buddy always had his 7mm, we both came back after successful hunts each year, and neither ever coveted the others rifle, we were satisfied with our rifle and how it performed, so there was no need to really weigh one against the other. He used 175gr SP's in his 7mm, while I used 180gr, at the muzzle our ballistics were really similar, and our on field results were about the same. Yes there probably were some benefits to each....but we were used to what we had so it didn't really matter.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davidz71
all right guys, lets get something started on the 7mm rem mag vs the good old 30 06. which is your favorite or better in your eyes? i have heard a couple of old guys state that the 7 mm is to skinny and the bullet doesn't expand on the small deer here in tn and just puts small holes in them. than i have heard other guys say it just knocks them over! i lean more towards a 30 06 but want some of your inputs on the idea.

I had a 7mm mag. in Ruger M77 persuasion and reloaded for it using 140 gr. Nosler Partition bullets. I took several deer with it but found that the darn 24" barrel kept hanging up on tree limbs. I sold it and bought a Rem. 700 BDL in 7 mm Express Remington (280) and have used it yearly since 1979. I prefer the 140 gr. bullet weight but have used 150 gr. a number of times. I also like the 22" barrel the 700 came with. Oh, Sierra 140 SBT bullets (reloads) leave 1" to 2" exit wounds depending on the distance I have shot deer in TN. and TX.

Three guys in our hunting camp use 270's With 130 gr. bullets and one use to. He said that he would hit deer, they would fall down and get up running. We pretty much think he gets buck fever and doesn't make a good hit. This guy switched to a 7mm Rem. mag and does a better job. Also, one of the 270 users switched from 7 mm mag to 270 due to weight of the rifle/length of barrel and he has killed several deer this year, one a nice 8 pt. buck.

My take is that a deer would not know the difference when hit by any of the cartridges mentioned. If you have the loading equipment for 30-06 then that is what I would go with. A 150 gr. bullet would be just the ticket unless you liked slightly heavier bullets. You could work up a good accuracy load under max. and it would be effective. The key with any of these is proper bullet placement.

well, i won the auction on the 30-06 remington buckmaster. can't wait to get it and shoot it! i do prefer the 168 gr berger bullets over the 150 gr bullets. mainly because my remington 700 shoots great with them and i'm hoping my new one does as well. i plan on getting a H S precision stock, bipod and a 6-14 leupold vx-ii. right now it is going to get my leupold 3-9 until we move and i save up all the money to finish it. i will post pictures when i get it done! thanks for all the advice