7mm vs 30 06

my82cam

all right guys, lets get something started on the 7mm rem mag vs the good old 30 06. which is your favorite or better in your eyes? i have heard a couple of old guys state that the 7 mm is to skinny and the bullet doesn't expand on the small deer here in tn and just puts small holes in them. than i have heard other guys say it just knocks them over! i lean more towards a 30 06 but want some of your inputs on the idea.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have hunted with both and killed with both. I currently have the 7mm and I know you may not need the extra "knock down" and that we can kill with the .223 but it would be nice to have when "Big Boy" comes walking out.

The attached link has the rifle trajectory table that may help you decide (the 7mm has the better MPBR and more energy).

You can't go wrong with either so if you were to run across a used 30-06 in a deal I would not hesitate to get it.

Rifle Trajectory Table

The reality is there is very little difference between most of the top calibers to shoot deer inside of 250 yards. The 7mm is .284 with the normal bullet weight being 140 grains(.32 oz). The 30 calibers are .308 with bullets in the 150-165 grain range(.34-.38 oz). The 270 is .277 with the normal being 130 grains(.31 oz). Velocity and point blank range on most of these from the 25-06 to the 300 mag run in the 2700-3000 fps range and can be zeroed to hold dead on to 270+ yards.

Bullet construction, shot placement, accuracy (due to practice & equipment quality) are far more important than caliber even in the 6mm and up class IMHO, I don't care for the 22 calibers for deer.

I have hunted with both and killed with both. I currently have the 7mm and I know you may not need the extra "knock down" and that we can kill with the .223 but it would be nice to have when "Big Boy" comes walking out.

The attached link has the rifle trajectory table that may help you decide (the 7mm has the better MPBR and more energy).

You can't go wrong with either so if you were to run across a used 30-06 in a deal I would not hesitate to get it.

Rifle Trajectory Table

I totally agree. I too have owned, hunted, and taken game with both of them. Here are my personal thoughts ....

Long range: The 7Mag is a hands down winner here. I have taken mule deer in Colorado with this rifle, and it's definitely a winner.

Versatility: The '06 leads here. There are many, many different ways to load the '06 and unlimited bullet types and weights. No brainer.

Availability: Once again, the '06 rules. Easy to procure both rifles and ammunition, and MUCH easier to sell if the time comes.

Just my thoughts. :)

I have both. I use my 7mm when i hunt fields for the longer shots. When i hunt the woods i use my 30-06 it is easier to scope in deer in the woods with. I have killed deer with both at close range (under 100yards) and at long range (over 200 yards.) hope this helps

They're both excellent, versatile rounds. Ammo is readily available in either most anywhere in the world.

There is no difference in options for quality rifles as every manufacturer builds on both platforms. They are both very accurate for their intended uses, hunting. If you want a classic, older rifle then the nod goes to 30-06 for what is on the market.

I have both and pick up the 7mm more often. I like the flatter shooting round and find it to have a slight edge on the game I hunt at some of the yardages I hunt them. For deer from a stand around here, I think it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

They are both classic rounds and I pretty much stick to classic rounds. I don't much go for the plethora of wildcats or newer oddities on the market.

It's an debate which will never end along with the other debates that carry year after year. In truth many rounds are so similar that you will not notice the difference in them unless you really hunt a great deal in different environments and on different types of game.

7MM has a touch more kick to it, i think people would rather buy a 06 to shoot a lot because of ammo and less reecoil.

Exactly. Much cheaper and less recoil. Not only that but also barrel life comes into play. IF you're shooting a lot of rounds you simply don't want to use 7mm rem mag. The barrel heats up very quickly.

I personally know a lot of competitive shooters. None of them that I can think of shoot a 30-06. I'm sure there are some that do. However it hasn't been the standard for many years.

Mot serious competitive shooters I know shoot the 308. It is cheaper still and has even less recoil and is even easier on the barrel. Though some long range shooters use 7mm or 300 rem mag, neither is really intended as a target or competitive cartridge meant for a lot of shots fired during a day at the range.

When it comes to accuracy they are all accurate in potential. That depends on the quality of the rifle, the barrel and the shooter. And it is also makes a difference in what you want to use the rifle for. I use mine for hunting. I don't necessarily want the perfect benchrest gun. I also don't want a tactical rifle. I won't be attempting a head shot, I have more room to work with than that. I am more concerned with general accuracy, consistency, dependability and weather resistance. I like rugged, stainless guns which are often not the best shooters. They have synthetic stocks because I may be in the desert, or in the mountains or on the tundra, in rain or snow, cold or heat and humidity. My nicest guns don't go into the field with me. My guns for field use are also all on the same platform, with the same trigger and the same type of scope. At some point I may decide to change platforms to something else and if I do I will sell all of what I have in that and change to all of the other.

Edited by Warbird

I have never been without an 06. Currently have 3. If you did the stupid thing like forget your ammo chances are you'll find the 06 in that country store that may have only a few boxes of ammo. Right now I have no form of magnum rifle and strictly use the 06 for deer, bear, and If I get drawn for moose. If I wanted a magnum rifle for lower 48 hunting it would probably be some form of 300 mag.

7mm owners tend to like their rifles and the caliber has a good following. I have never owned one but have witnessed performance on deer, elk, sheep and caribou in our hunting camps. I personally did not care for some of the results. Many like them for long range shots but I've seen sheep taken at at rediculous yardages with an 06. I'm afraid if I had both in the safe the 7mm would stay home.

what do you mean you didn't care for some of the results with the 7mm?

Pass throughs or minimal expansion on lighter skinned animals using heavier grain bullets. On the other hand I've seen some of the lighter bullets destroy some serious meat. You asked which one for deer and I'll stay with 06 anyday.

i think i'm leaning towards a 30 06. i have all the reloading stuff for 06 and it is a great round. i will be hunting more deer than elk so i think 06 should be a better buy for me. i already have 2 30 06 but wanted to get a gun to beat up in the woods that i plan to do some long shots with as well. i will let you guys know what i get....when i get the funds...hopefully sooner than later!

I'd posted this elsewhere when the question came up:

"To me the beauty of the 7Mag is that, IMHO, it really hits the sweet spot with the balance of bullet weight, velocity and SD/BC. For the vast majority of NA game 150gr is plenty (especially with todays premium bullets) without being too big. This means it can be driven out of a 7Mag at the magic 3000fps and be big enough at the front end for most anything (in NA) yet small enough at the back end for almost everybody assuming a rifle of reasonable weight. It also means a bullet with a SD over .260 and a BC over .400. For the sake of comparison the venerable 30/06 doesn't have a load listed on the Barnes site (comparing TSX's here) where a bullet with those stats can be driven over 3000fps. (just so it doesn't sound like I'm getting too excited over the 7Mag let me point out the good old .270 is right there with it's best numbers and seems badly overlooked by a lot of todays hunters)

I'm not about to say there's anything mystical or amazing about the cartridge(or caliber for that matter) or get too caught up in the ballistic gack but rather pointing out that if one were to sit down and try to come up with a useful bullet weight with really good ballistic and sectional density numbers that can be thrown at 3000fps that makes the trajectory flat, the energy ample and the recoil manageable you'd be hard pressed to do much better than what the 7Mag does."

For a true "all rounder" the '06 probably has an edge if you found yourself in need of thowing larger bullets (180gr+) but if we're talking deer there's no need for it. Actually the 7mag or '06 are way plenty for deer at any "normal" range with the 7 having a slight advantage if you are determined to shoot long distances with any regularity. (Your favorite stand overlooks a beanfield for instance)

Honestly, for deer sized game a .308 (or 308 based something, 7-08/.260) or .270 is plenty.

I have a 7 rem mag and it will kill deer with one shot. I also have a 30-30 that will kill deer with one shot. Both work in this part of the country just fine, unless you are sitting in a big box stand across a bean field.....in which case i'd use the 7 mag. 30-06 is probably just about as good, with a tad less kick, less noise, and cheaper to feed. If I was not given the 7 mag, and had to choose between the 30-06 and 7 mag, I would take the 30-06. Deer in the South are not big animals and spot lighters have easily killed them with 22LR's. I would feel comfortable deer hunting here with a 243....it all boils down to shot placement.

well, here is the gun i'm looking at getting, i sold my beater gun(remington model 7 in 308) and i'm buying this gun...

Remington 700 .30-06 Sprg 3006 24in Brl Realtree : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

I'm going to call and talk to them before i bid, but it seems like a good buy and it has scope mounts already, leupold duel dovetail, and it should have the Xmark trigger group.

i have a leupold vx-1 4-12 x40 that i'm planning on putting on there if i win the auction. the longest shots i can take is 300-400 yards so i really don't see much need to get a 7mm, please i have a ton of brass and bullets for the 06, so i think this is my best choice.

i already have 2 30 06 and really enjoy them...one reason i was thinking of the 7mm was because i already have 2 of them and wanted to try something different..but like my friend is teaching me....don't try to reinvent the wheel. lol