Red Dot Accuracy

WME

I have an AR with a Aimpoint Comp M2 Sight and I can't do better than about 6 inch groups at 100 yds. I don't have any magnifier and wonder if maybe I could do better if I had 3x or so? I can do sub one inch groups with my Savage 223 bolt action using a 3x9 on the 3x setting. Is it just me or my rifle? What should I expect with the AR? I only have about 300 rnds through it so maybe I just need more practice.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an AR with a Aimpoint Comp M2 Sight and I can't do better than about 6 inch groups at 100 yds. I don't have any magnifier and wonder if maybe I could do better if I had 3x or so? I can do sub one inch groups with my Savage 223 bolt action using a 3x9 on the 3x setting. Is it just me or my rifle? What should I expect with the AR? I only have about 300 rnds through it so maybe I just need more practice.
I personally think you should expect a good AR to shoot 2-3 MOA or better at 100 yards with quality ammo from a rest. You didn't mention how you are shooting. From a rest? Offhand? Kneeling? Prone?

More rounds down the pipe and more practice will help. Also, how many different types of ammo have you tried? It could just be that your AR doesn't like what you're feeding it. More magnification will always make shooting at a distance easier too. Can you put a scope on your AR to try it out with the same ammo and see if it does much better?

A good AR should do about 1-1.5inch groups at 100yds. The biggest thing is how you are shooting. If you are shooting while running down a hill, then 6" at 100yds would be phenomenal, but 6" off a rest, you might have an issue. Aimpoints are BA, so I'd think that you should be doing less than 3" off a rest.

Guest Marine03

You also need to remember that the "dot" depending on the model is 2-4moa. The more area the dot covers the harder it is to find the exact same aiming point. So between the 2-3moa rifle and the 2-4moa scope it could easily account for the 6moa group. Shoot it with iron sights from the prone or bench and see what your group is. That will give you a good baseline to go off. Then see what your red dot gets from the same positions.

What marine03 said. Besides, a red dot (2-4 moa) is not intended for precision target shooting @ 100+ yds. Fast acquisition, minute of critter accuracy under 100yds is its best use. My AR with a 4moa Aimpoint rings a 6" gong target at 100yds offhand easy. That is the accuracy I bought it for. For more precise shooting at 100+ yds I would suggest putting a decent scope on it and trying different ammo. If I did my part that should tell if it is rifle or sighting system. If your Aimpoint is 4 moa and you plan in keeping it on your AR, I would try using the lowest brightness setting and use the top of the dot as a finer aiming point. I hope this helps.

Guest HCRoadie

I concur with all the above. Try iron sights with the same technique you used with the Aimpoint. Maybe start at 50 yards. Remember to only change one factor at a time. It is the ONLY proper way to trouble shoot any issue. Weather it is with guns, cooking, or sound systems,( my three passions). The Aimpoint, without magnification, is just an electronic equivalent, accuracy wise, of iron sights. I am sure you will get the hang of it.

Guest HexHead
You also need to remember that the "dot" depending on the model is 2-4moa. The more area the dot covers the harder it is to find the exact same aiming point. So between the 2-3moa rifle and the 2-4moa scope it could easily account for the 6moa group. Shoot it with iron sights from the prone or bench and see what your group is. That will give you a good baseline to go off. Then see what your red dot gets from the same positions.

That was the problem I had with a red dot when I had my SIG556. The smaller dot was too small for me and the larger one covered up too much of the bullseye to really know what I was aiming at. I ended up switching to a Trijicon optic with the red chevron. It was very easy to put the top tip of the chevron on target repeatedly to shoot decent groups. I like the chevron much better than the dot.

Guest HexHead
I haven't shot my AIMPOINT 2X with 2MOA dot, BUT when I do I'll let you know my results ???

That is a 2x optic, not a magnifier with a regular one right? If you add a magnifier to a regular red dot optic, I'd imagine the dot will also be magnified. I'm guessing it you have like a 2MOA dot Eotech for instance and add a 3x magnifier, you now have a 6MOA dot?

the aimpoint c2 or ml2 that you mentioned you have is a 4moa dot. add that to the basic 2 moa carbine and you get 6 moa groups. remember that sight is meant for shooting at people not points. if you want more accuracy, get a more accurate sight. id recommend switching to an EO Tech as they have a 1moa dot in a 65moa circle. very fast and accurate. the Trijicon is also a great option with the red chevron reticle.

Guest davidz71
Try turning the dot intensity down to where it is just visible. When it's on full power the dot it much bigger.

Smaller the dot, smaller POA.

I should have thought about this when I test fired 23.8 through 25.2 gr. H335 with 62 gr. FMJBT this past Monday. The setting was low but after testing, I set the intensity to the very bottom and could see a dot I was shooting at much better. Oh, in my 16" AR, the 24.6 and 25.2 gr. loads gave just a hair over one inch groups at 50 yards. I realize I could have done better with the Eotech set at the slightest setting or obviously a scope with cross hairs.

Guest ChattanoogaPhil
That was the problem I had with a red dot when I had my SIG556. The smaller dot was too small for me and the larger one covered up too much of the bullseye to really know what I was aiming at.

For those who are looking for the disappearing bullseye behind the red dot.... you can always use 6 o'clock regardless of the size of your dot to keep things visible and tight.