Fred Thompson - Meet the Press - Nov 4, 2007

Guest db99wj

Fred Thompson was on Meet the Press with Tim Russert this morning. Here is the transcript excerpt when he was asked about Virginia Tech. This section is on page 3 toward the bottom.

MR. RUSSERT: And we are back. Senator Fred Thompson is our guest.Virginia Tech, last April 32 killed, terrible tragedy. You had a radio report back at that time, and I’d like to share it with you and our viewers. “Virginia Tech,” the “administrators overrode Virginia state law and threatened to expel or fire anybody who brings a weapon,” on the “campus. Many other universities have been swayed by an anti-gun, anti-self defense ideology. Whenever I’ve seen one of those ‘Gun-free zone’ signs, especially outside of a school filled with our youngest and most vulnerable citizens, I’ve always wondered exactly who these signs are directed at.”

My sense in reading that is that you would be in favor of licensed citizens of Virginia, students, including students, to carry concealed weapons on a college campus.

MR. THOMPSON: It would have to be consistent with campus rules. I don’t think that all students need to be carrying weapons on the school campus. What I would, I would feel more comfortable with, if a child of mine was on campus, when I read about these people, 30 people or so being lined up and systematically killed without anybody apparently around to do anything about it, I think some, some thought really needs to be given as to who should be properly qualified and permitted and, and armed on campuses and other places where large people gather. But...

MR. RUSSERT: But you would, you would allow a campus to bar their students from carrying concealed weapons?

MR. THOMPSON: Yeah, it, it would have to be consistent with state law and, and, and school rules. And different schools would have, you know, the, the freedom to, to have their own rules as, as, as they see fit.

The whole transcript of the interview. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21623208/
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it, it would have to be consistent with state law and, and, and school rules. And different schools would have, you know, the, the freedom to, to have their own rules as, as, as they see fit.

I believe his comments are consistent with a Federalist ideology. What I see he said is that he would leave it a local matter. And more importantly is what he did not say. Notice he did not say he was against it. You think Guiliani or the Dem's would have answered in a manner that Fred did? You know darn well they would have come out dead set against it.

Guest CrazyLincoln
I believe his comments are consistent with a Federalist ideology.

Don't you mean Frederalist? ;)

I think I'll coin that if no one's taken it all ready. I'm a Frederalist all the way!

Guest Hyaloid
MR. RUSSERT: And we are back. Senator Fred Thompson is our guest.Virginia Tech, last April 32 killed, terrible tragedy. You had a radio report back at that time, and I’d like to share it with you and our viewers. “Virginia Tech,†the “administrators overrode Virginia state law and threatened to expel or fire anybody who brings a weapon,†on the “campus. Many other universities have been swayed by an anti-gun, anti-self defense ideology. Whenever I’ve seen one of those ‘Gun-free zone’ signs, especially outside of a school filled with our youngest and most vulnerable citizens, I’ve always wondered exactly who these signs are directed at.â€

My sense in reading that is that you would be in favor of licensed citizens of Virginia, students, including students, to carry concealed weapons on a college campus.

MR. THOMPSON: It would have to be consistent with campus rules. (1) I don’t think that all students need to be carrying weapons on the school campus. What I would, I would feel more comfortable with, if a child of mine was on campus, when I read about these people, 30 people or so being lined up and systematically killed without anybody apparently around to do anything about it, (2) I think some, some thought really needs to be given as to who should be properly qualified and permitted and, and armed on campuses and other places where large people gather. But...

(3)MR. RUSSERT: But you would, you would allow a campus to bar their students from carrying concealed weapons?

MR. THOMPSON: Yeah, it, it would have to be consistent with state law and, and, and school rules. And different schools would have, you know, the, the freedom to, to have their own rules as, as, as they see fit.

(1) So who gets to choose who gets to carry... why are our colleges allowed to decide who gets to exercise their rights? They are fervent 1st A advocates, unless you disagree with the predominant liberal ideologies. I bet if the Koran had a provision in it that stated the followers of Islam MUST be armed with a firearm at all times, they'd allow it to encourage 'diversity'... but I digress...

(2) "and other places where large people gather".. I assume he means large gatherings, not obese people :). But, wait a minute, a TRUE Federalist would want people armed when and where they desired. They would not predicate the ability of the populous to bear arms based on how many people are there. Who gets to decide who is 'properly qualified and trained'? You have to be able to see 20/200 and pull a trigger, or you have to be able to see 20/10 and shoot 2" groups at 50 yards, off hand? Sure doesn't sound like a conservative Federalist response to me. Sounds like a wishy washy politically correct answer.

(3) The President really doesn't have the power to change this stuff anyhow, but I was a little taken aback by his response. Basically, "the different schools have the ability to have their own rules as they see fit" NOW, that's why they make their asinine regulations.

I wonder how Ron Paul would have answered... oh, that's right, we aeren;t supposed to know about him. :lol: