Gonna be a good Christmas afterall

For the past few years, I've been worrying like something crazy about my mother.

As she gets older,and her health going down hill, I worry more and more about not only her well-being, but also her safety.

At this point it wouldn't take much of any force at all from an able-bodied aggressor to afflict some serious harm to her.

Something as simple as a mere shove could put her on the ground,and in her condition,she would be in a life and death situation.

Now,for the past 3 years or so, I've been trying to talk her into getting a gun,at my expense, for her protection.

Each time I bring the subject up, she says she's just not comfortable with a gun.

She's far from being an anti,mind you, but she just isn't comfortable with one of her own.

Anhoo...So, I'm sitting around the house earlier today looking at, and playing with the the NEF shottie (using that word just because of the 'Pet Peeve' thread ;P ) and trying to figure out why exactly I bought such a creature.

I mean I don't hunt.I can't take any critters with it living here in the city, and I really have no interest in a break-open single shot.

Then it hit me! This would be a great gun for Mom to have for her protection.

It's lightweight, short, and so easy to use a cave man could do it!

Didn't really care what her thoughts on this was gonna be, as I was gonna force-feed it down her throat if she tried to turn it away.

Now to my surprise, as soon as I handed it to her, and told her "happy Festivus" and "this is yours",her face lit up like a beautiful Christmas tree!

No doubts. No resistance. Nothing but joy and acceptance.

I give her a brief instructional on how to use it (as if it takes an Encyclopedia to learn about break-opens) and tell her to take it, and play with it for a while to get the hang of it a little.

Now, skip ahead several minutes, and I come back in the house to see hows shes doing with it, and I get an even bigger shock.

I ask her for sure that she will keep it handy and just not stuck in the closet to which she replies," Yea,I like it. But I wish you'd given me a handgun instead!" :poop:

As I sit here and type this, I cant help but to laugh at her for the endless resistance over such a large amount of time when all it would've taken was a measly 85 dollar bill to get her to want something for protection :D:stare:

Ohwell, I'll remember that little trick next time I suppose.

At this point I'm just happy she want's it :P

Edited by strickj
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 22-rimfire

Good story. I don't worry about my Mom since she is now in heaven. But my wife.... now that is a problem. She will not touch a firearm, period. I guess she feels I'll be around if there is ever a problem. But I have told her that the shotgun at a particular location is loaded and all you have to do is push the safety off and pull the trigger. I wonder if she would even do that however. Yes, I showed her how several times.

Sounds like you Mom is a candidate for a Glock or DA revolver.

I'm sure glad I could help out.

Just please be sure to put a nancy pad on that thing for her.

It is a beast even with 2 3/4 shells.

I was wondering why I acually got rid of it, But now I'm really glad I did.

O & congrats on the conversion.:rant:

Thanks again man!

At this point it looks like she will be shooting it "granny style" with it under her arm as she's unable to get it fully shouldered well.

So you're getting her a handgun for Christmas day right? :eek:

Looks like she is now wanting my snub nose.

Don't know how I feel about that.

Kinda like loosing close friend. On one hand you're sad and miss him, but on the other you're happy he's in a better place.

Strickj, don't look at like losing a friend. Look at it like your best friend is protecting your momma 24/7!

Besides,it really is a loaner as you will get it back after your mom passes. I might not have been very delicate in wording but it is the reality.

I can't think of a better way to show your mom how much you love her.

Strickj, don't look at like losing a friend. Look at it like your best friend is protecting your momma 24/7!

Besides,it really is a loaner as you will get it back after your mom passes. I might not have been very delicate in wording but it is the reality.

I can't think of a better way to show your mom how much you love her.

Damn, I barely can type this I'm laughing so hard!