WADDAYATHANK?

Guest Bonedaddy

Guest Bonedaddy

:death:Any opinions on those cheap Savage semi-auto .22's Wally World sells for $127 there abouts? Been thinking about getting one and slappin' a decent scope on it to tap on the occasional coyote out in the cow pasture this winter when the babes are born. Sometimes the shot may be 2-300 yards. Will it get it done?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. A .22LR isn't nearly enough for a yote(or any other animal for that matter) at that range. Not accurate enough and not enough power. You might be able to hit a yote at 200, but the odds of actually killing it humanely(or even inhumanely) would be extremely slim.

Let me elaborate: As the "sniper" for a small town police department, I was the only one tasked with controlling the groundhog population around town. I used a Ruger 10/22 for this purpose. I got what I thought were sufficient rounds to take out the hogs with head shots, and the danged things bounced off of them at 50 yards or so. I had to buy some hyper-velocity rounds, (I think they were "Viper" rounds), to do the work. If groundhogs are that tough at 50 yards, yotes would be impossible at 200-300.

Guest jackdm3
Haha cmon now, back to the OP I'd look into .204 ruger or .223 remington for your stated distances. Might even move up to .243.

Haven't priced any rifles in forever. Can he get a cheap .223 caliber/calibre without going full-out AR?

what is that? a 20mm, because it sure looks bigger than .50BMG.

there was no rep at the table on sunday at the show when I was there

25mm only available to the millitary. So that's our hard earned tax dollars going to pay $200 for a practice round. Hate to see what the payload round costs.

Just an aside, the Barrett rep didn't seem to be happy to be there. Had a "you can't afford my stuff, so don't ask any questions" attitude. I found this shocking considering my possitive experiences with their upper management, in the past.

Guest bkelm18
Haven't priced any rifles in forever. Can he get a cheap .223 caliber/calibre without going full-out AR?

Oh yeah. There are bolt actions for sub $500. I think you can find a Ruger Mini-14 for sub $500.

Let me elaborate: As the "sniper" for a small town police department, I was the only one tasked with controlling the groundhog population around town. I used a Ruger 10/22 for this purpose. I got what I thought were sufficient rounds to take out the hogs with head shots, and the danged things bounced off of them at 50 yards or so. I had to buy some hyper-velocity rounds, (I think they were "Viper" rounds), to do the work. If groundhogs are that tough at 50 yards, yotes would be impossible at 200-300.

I agree with your assessment of the .22LR. I shot a couple of groundhogs about 50 yds. with one. They died, but not right then and there.

My next move was to a Ruger 77/17, .17 HMR. WOW, what a difference. I've literally tuned 15 lb.er's for a flip at 60-70yds. I also shot a coyote at about 100yds., but it won't drop him DRT.

My next step was to a 22-250. Haven't had a chance at a coyote yet, but what it does to a gallon jug of water at 200yds. makes me think it will do the job further than I shoot.

But the .22LR definitely better for beer cans @ 50yds. :D

That's what I was thinking. You can get a rossi pretty cheap!

Dick's or Academy puts a Rossi, H&R or a NEF single shot on sale practically every week usually for around $100.00. But buying from them's a bitch, you have to sign your life away in paperwork.

Only ones I've seen there are well over $600, and that's the basic wood ranch rifle.

- OS

I was burning time in a Walmart up in Northern KY a few weeks ago when I saw their Mini-14. I thought the tag said 489ish, but I could be wrong. It was just the basic wood, but after checking online prices just now I better get it if it's $489!

I'll be up there again next week, and I'll have to step into Wallys to double check that price. :D