Trigger reset

Steelharp

I see a lot of discussion regarding trigger reset. Most centers around complaint of long resets, and the marvels of short ones. I can understand this making a difference with range shooting... but tell me honestly. Any of you that have been in a true SHTF/combat/any "need to survive" scenario... has reset mattered to you? I would think (not having been there, thank God) that with adrenaline pumping, eyes dilating, heart pounding circumstances, trigger reset would be totally ignored. Your finger is going to go all the way back and forward in the trigger guard repeatedly with no regard whatsoever to where the reset click is.

So, what's the big deal about it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of discussion regarding trigger reset. Most centers around complaint of long resets, and the marvels of short ones. I can understand this making a difference with range shooting... but tell me honestly. Any of you that have been in a true SHTF/combat/any "need to survive" scenario... has reset mattered to you? I would think (not having been there, thank God) that with adrenaline pumping, eyes dilating, heart pounding circumstances, trigger reset would be totally ignored. Your finger is going to go all the way back and forward in the trigger guard repeatedly with no regard whatsoever to where the reset click is.

So, what's the big deal about it?

Don't know about real life situation, but the Kel-Tec PF9's I had would give me problems when rapid firing. As I went quicker my fingers didn't seem to be as flexible and tighten up. When this happened I didn't always let out far enough and would get dead pull. I can only imagine in a real life situation where motor skills are even more diminished it would be worse.

The danger with a long reset in a high stress (when you are trying to eliminate a threat as fast as possible) you can end up short stroking the trigger and not letting it go out far enough to re-set (I've seen this a ton of times when people are amped up and trying to go fast). This is why for many a heavy trigger is helpful because the amount of force pushing on your finger to reset the trigger is increased. But it is still better to have a short re-set and a heavier trigger. IMO

I don't agree. A short reset equals faster follow up shots with a minimal of movement that could upset the gun/sights while a long reset equals the chance of short stroking the trigger and considerably more movement to upset the gun/sights...

Plus, once you develop the muscle memory with a shorter reset, you won't want to go back to a longer one, since IMO instead of just feeling long, it'll also feel sluggish and require your brain and trigger finger to relearn it. YMMV.

Also, from what I've seen in matches (granted the clock does not equal introducing the stress of a SHTF scenario, but it sure teaches a lot...), when rarely you see guys with guns like Sigs and such with longish resets, you see them short stroke the trigger and get caught in "trigger freeze" more than you'd think, sometimes repeatedly, it's not a myth.

Edited by CK1

Trigger reset is a draw back on DAO pistols. I favor a DA/SA like the PT 140 from Taurus, rapid fire is flawless in a single action pistol. When the trigger has to move a full pull to reset you may have problems in stressfull situations.

Guest 70below

I can't comment on real life situations, but I would hazard to guess that the trigger reset would have a lot to do with training and muscle memory. Someone that is well trained will frequently have their body respond in the way it has been trained to respond when placed in stress. Much like a fighter or law enforcement officer is trained, repetition will allow the body to react in a consistent way when placed in hazard.

When I was trained working in a correctional and transport environment, my muscle memory for trigger pull was based on a Glock 22 trigger. I have a hard time rapid firing a long trigger pull without consciously thinking about each trigger pull.