What is your pet peave

This thread has declined soo much that it reminds me of one of mine.

Why does everyone refer to Mont Eagle as Mont Eagle Mountain? The "Mont" at the front tells you it's a mountain. They don't call Mont Blanc: Mont Blanc Mountain or Mount St. Helens: Mount St. Helens Mountain.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Monteagle Mountain is the local name given to a stretch of Interstate 24 near Monteagle, Tennessee that passes over the Cumberland Plateau. Being part of the plateau, it is not technically a mountain, but appears that way to motorists crossing over it. It is frequently referenced as one of the most treacherous stretches of interstate in the United States, especially in inclement weather.

The historic name for this "Mountain" is Bear Mountain. From this traditional name are also expanses such as Bear Hollow which is located on US41 between Monteagle and Tracy City.

The area was settled in May 1870 by John Moffat, a native of Glasgow, Scotland, with his wife and children. It would later would become Moffat Station and still later, the city of Monteagle.

Why does Taco Bell say "carne asada steak?" :screwy:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going the other way. We need to make the name shorter.

Burner? No

Heater? No.

Waterer? No.

H2O'er? No.

Warmer? No.

Boiler? Maybe, though it never boils.

Thermal? You could never wear a water tank for long. Like a barrel/suspenders.

Guys. Help me out here.

UBG (Utility Bill Generator)

The truthis that English is a bunch of "foreign" languages fuzed into one. The Britons, the French (the first true king of England was William the Conquerer, from Normandy France), the Angles, the Saxons all had a part to play. Those foreign phrases and words are idioms, which mean they have no good translation to "English". Therefore, they are English because they are part of our common language. Hey, the French have to use the term Le Big Mac.

Yeah, I know all that. I'm just talking about people throwing it in to seem smarter or whatever. The example I gave translates perfectly.

je ne sais quoi.... I don't know what

I guess saying "It has a certain je ne sais quoi" sounds better than saying "It has a certain... I don't know what?"

I saw a "Drive Thru" sign at a McDonalds in Brazil.

I don't like Big Macs... think I'll have a Royal with Cheese.:screwy:

Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest jackdm3

Wiki says all the countries of the world have gone metric except U.S., Liberia and Burma. The phrase should be updated to "Desperately clinging to my guns, my bible and the standard measurement system."

It looks like the thread has detoured, but I'll reply to the original anyway:

"Shotty or Shottie" for Shot Gun.

"Tranny" for transmission"

Text-speak in the real world.

"clip"

Handgun cartridge names with numbers that have little to nothing to do with their actual sizes.

Guest jackdm3

160 grain or 185 grain, etc. when to me the "grain" should refer to how much powder or type of powder is in the casing and not the weight of bullet itself. How many other things do we refer to its weight in grains, on a daily basis? At least that's the way the Walmart man explained it.

In the movies, when they rack the slide everytime they enter a room or unholster a weapon.

Haha, I can't remember what I was watching, but someone had the slide locked back, inserted a full mag, dropped the slide, then racked the slide. I was cracking up :rolleyes:

Guest Caveman
Haha, I can't remember what I was watching, but someone had the slide locked back, inserted a full mag, dropped the slide, then racked the slide. I was cracking up :rolleyes:

And they never seem to run out of ammo. Gotta love Hollywood.

Guest jackdm3

I don't remember the whole movie, but "Way of the Gun" had the two guys operating in more real-world scenarios, like racking between the knees when injured.