New nighthawk 1911

Daniel

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
It ain't pretty but if it shots like most nighthawks it'll be great

Yep. As for the finish, unless your job requires you to wear a ghillie suit, I think any gun being in camo is stupid. Especially handguns in like digi-camo.

I guess I'm just not a mall ninja tacticool kind of guy?

Guest HexHead
It comes in black too. I couldn't justify that price tag but I bet it shoots awesome.

They do. Back when I had my two Kimbers, I couldn't fathom that a gun that cost around $1000 more than both of them together could be that much better. Or more importantly, that I'd be able to appreciate the difference.

I got to handle several of them at the NHC booth at the NRA convention last year and was really impressed with how smooth they operated and how great the feel in your hand was. Even my wife said she could see why they cost that much after basically looking at every handgun at the show. (We were looking for one for her.)

I ended up calling them a couple of days later and ordering one built to my specs. About 14 weeks later my pistol came. Yeah, I could tell the difference from my Kimbers. Since it's a Commander size I took it to the range with my Pro Carry II. I fired a magazine through the Kimber, put it down and fired a magazine through the Nighthawk. First time I shot it and the group was half the size of the Kimber. That Kimber was sold at the next Goodman show.

About 6 months later I made the mistake of taking my other Kimber, a Royal II to the range with my NHC and was again convinced I didn't need it any longer either, so I traded it at the next Goodman show for a Colt Python.

So yeah, they are worth it and even I could appreciate the difference.

They do. Back when I had my two Kimbers, I couldn't fathom that a gun that cost around $1000 more than both of them together could be that much better. Or more importantly, that I'd be able to appreciate the difference.

I got to handle several of them at the NHC booth at the NRA convention last year and was really impressed with how smooth they operated and how great the feel in your hand was. Even my wife said she could see why they cost that much after basically looking at every handgun at the show. (We were looking for one for her.)

I ended up calling them a couple of days later and ordering one built to my specs. About 14 weeks later my pistol came. Yeah, I could tell the difference from my Kimbers. Since it's a Commander size I took it to the range with my Pro Carry II. I fired a magazine through the Kimber, put it down and fired a magazine through the Nighthawk. First time I shot it and the group was half the size of the Kimber. That Kimber was sold at the next Goodman show.

About 6 months later I made the mistake of taking my other Kimber, a Royal II to the range with my NHC and was again convinced I didn't need it any longer either, so I traded it at the next Goodman show for a Colt Python.

So yeah, they are worth it and even I could appreciate the difference.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a "custom" 1911. I appreciate the fact that Nighthawks are far better than the Kimbers. But in trying to decide between the other brands (Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, and Brown), I'm having trouble distinguishing between a $2500 pistol and a $3500 pistol (i.e. why are the Nighthawks so much more than the Wilsons). Once you get into the custom lines, the price points quit making sense to me even though I can definitely see the difference from the non custom jobs. Please, someone enlighten me (this post is not the least bit sarcastic, I really want the information so I can make an informed decision).

I've been toying with the idea of buying a "custom" 1911. I appreciate the fact that Nighthawks are far better than the Kimbers. But in trying to decide between the other brands (Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, and Brown), I'm having trouble distinguishing between a $2500 pistol and a $3500 pistol (i.e. why are the Nighthawks so much more than the Wilsons). Once you get into the custom lines, the price points quit making sense to me even though I can definitely see the difference from the non custom jobs. Please, someone enlighten me (this post is not the least bit sarcastic, I really want the information so I can make an informed decision).

I have owned them all, Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, and several Ed Brown's my Nighthawk was the most expensive the reason for that was that I ordered it exactly the way I wanted it complete with Ed Brown parts built in and it was built by Ron Phillips (no longer there) If you want the best of those named I would suggest to go with Ed Brown. My $2700.00 Nighthawk was built with all Ed Brown hard core parts, I find that most Nighthawks, Wilson's are overpriced. The Les Baer is the best in terms of price but the finishing leaves much to be desired when compared to Ed Browns. Any of these pistols mentioned would serve you well but for fitting, finishing and the best looking of the bunch, Ed Brown hands down, if all of these things are important to you they are worth every cent, and I would not spend $3500.00 on a 1911 unless it was a Full House custom pistol which none of these are for that kind of money, talk to Ted Yost, Jason Burton, Chuck Rogers, Paul Liebenberg they will build you a gun that warrants $3500.00 or more, but you will have a serious wait time involved. If you want to spend less than $2000.00 in my opinion at $1800 (price I was given) the Les Baer TRS is damn hard to beat, I sold one over a year ago but recently ordered a new one

Edited by willis68
Guest HexHead
If I get a high end custom 1911 I'm thinking it'll be one of Hero Gear's. I have a hankering for a Springfield Loaded Micro or Loaded Champion on the mean time.

I shot the H-G pistols at the focus group meeting for their ARs a few months ago and they are very nice, especially at the price point Joe's got them at. I was pretty impressed with them.

I would love to be able to pony up the dough for a Nighthawk (or Wilson, etc...) one day, but I just won't allow myself to do so. I know that I'm missing out. :cool: That particular gun, however - it just looks stupid. I'd give a friend hell for buying that, if I had any friends that actually had money to spend in that manner. I sure don't. :D

I shot the H-G pistols at the focus group meeting for their ARs a few months ago and they are very nice, especially at the price point Joe's got them at. I was pretty impressed with them.

Yeah I did pretty good with the full size, Joe turned around and put 5 rounds in 3 holes to make me look bad. :D