Range report needed: guns and gear expo,

Because I am done going back and forth with you in this thread. Not worth the time or effort. Also, as mentioned, this is not the place for it. Another thread, yes, but not this thread. I forgot that the original poster was just a dude asking a simple question, not an organizer asking for peoples advice or views of the event in an "official" capacity.

Edited by Ben
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were scheduled to be there, but had to cancel a day or two beforehand. I was sick, and didnt want to drive two hours to stand around all day then go sit in a motel or drive another two hours home. The other two guys that were going with me (one of which doesnt even work for us) couldnt handle it by themselves.

So I suppose I'm one of those major vendors that canceled for "BS" reasons. Judging from that tone, I doubt I'll be supporting this further on round two.

I'm sure the show itself was pretty good.

Ceraldi and I drove in from La Vergne. To be honest, I was somewhat disappointed.

Ceraldi was looking for a specific flashlight (streamlight polytac LED). We figured odds were it would be there. All we could find were surefires. We ended up driving back to the outpost afterwards and bought it there.

I think the event was over-hyped. It was quality merchandise (I bought a new knife), but the small size, and the distance to the expo made the whole thing a bust.

Move it a bit closer to Metro cities (Murfreesboro would have been a good choice if you were looking for smaller markets) and back-up the hype and the next one will be worth going to again.

If you want us to put on a show next time with a room full of the same overpriced vendors that are at most of the local shows, we'll make an adjustment in our theory of operation and stop trying to innovate and just give you guys another show to complain about.

^^^^Do not want this ^^^^

I was unable to get out of some prior commitments to attend the show but the only reason I was going to go was I heard it was NOT going to be the same old thing. I very rarely buy at the normal gun shows as there aren't any good deals.

I would much rather there be a limited supply of dealers that are interested in dealing and have good quality guns for sale.

Mark

Guest clsutton21
We were scheduled to be there, but had to cancel a day or two beforehand. I was sick, and didnt want to drive two hours to stand around all day then go sit in a motel or drive another two hours home. The other two guys that were going with me (one of which doesnt even work for us) couldnt handle it by themselves.

So I suppose I'm one of those major vendors that canceled for "BS" reasons. Judging from that tone, I doubt I'll be supporting this further on round two.

I'm sure the show itself was pretty good.

He wasn't saying you guys canceled for BS reasons. I know who he was talking about because I was present during most of the conversations. I'm not gonna name them here. Rest assured, he knew you guys couldn't make it for real reasons. We were all sad though that we could visually and physically molest your wares. :popcorn:

As for everyone else saying this was a BS event...how many first shows have you been to for any other expos? The first Guns and Gear Expo was officially supposed to kick off in March, everything was ramped up so that there could be an earlier show to make sure that everything would be running perfectly smoothly in March; it's just going to take time to get everything working in a better order. I can assure you that there will be more advertisement, more vendors, and more to buy/sell/trade come March. All of the kinks are being ironed out and all problems are being addressed in preparation for the next show, everything from a giant restroom sign to more vendors. Like they said, it was a first show and it will just take more time...it will get better and bigger with time.

The only two things I could suggest is trying to get a Tannerite vendor :hiding: and a few billboards for next time.

Edited by clsutton21
Guest ArmyVeteran37214
He wasn't saying you guys canceled for BS reasons. I know who he was talking about because I was present during most of the conversations. I'm not gonna name them here. Rest assured, he knew you guys couldn't make it for real reasons. We were all sad though that we could visually and physically molest your wares. ;)

I agree and to think otherwise would be :up:!

He wasn't saying you guys canceled for BS reasons. I know who he was talking about because I was present during most of the conversations. I'm not gonna name them here. Rest assured, he knew you guys couldn't make it for real reasons. We were all sad though that we could visually and physically molest your wares. :up:

As for everyone else saying this was a BS event...how many first shows have you been to for any other expos? The first Guns and Gear Expo was officially supposed to kick off in March, everything was ramped up so that there could be an earlier show to make sure that everything would be running perfectly smoothly in March; it's just going to take time to get everything working in a better order. I can assure you that there will be more advertisement, more vendors, and more to buy/sell/trade come March. All of the kinks are being ironed out and all problems are being addressed in preparation for the next show, everything from a giant restroom sign to more vendors. Like they said, it was a first show and it will just take more time...it will get better and bigger with time.

The only two things I could suggest is trying to get a Tannerite vendor ;) and a few billboards for next time.

If that is truly the case then I apologize. I'm still getting over the crud, so I'm a little edgy atm.

Guest HexHead

Move it a bit closer to Metro cities (Murfreesboro would have been a good choice if you were looking for smaller markets) and back-up the hype and the next one will be worth going to again.

The problem with Winchester isn't even so much how far down I24 the exit is, it's the 40 miles or so from the interstate to get there.

Guest clsutton21
The problem with Winchester isn't even so much how far down I24 the exit is, it's the 40 miles or so from the interstate to get there.

If you take the exit for Hwy 64 you miss all the traffic and you get the Hwy speeds all the way there from I-24

Very true.

Also, Nashville has many more attractions if people do end up staying and making a weekend out of it. Gun show by day, honky tonks by night!

Guest HexHead
If you take the exit for Hwy 64 you miss all the traffic and you get the Hwy speeds all the way there from I-24

I'm sure that's how my GPS took me the last time I was there as it's set for "fastest route", but it's still about 40 miles from the interstate.

I missed this one because I couldn't make it, but I'd like to attend future ones. I really applaud David and Joe for what they're trying to do, but after reading the several threads, I'm going to try and offer some helpful ideas.

From the pics I've seen, the location itself was dark and very depressing looking inside. I've worked enough retail over the years to tell you that's not a good combination to get people excited and spend their money. If they're going to stay in Winchester with this, then maybe find another place like an auditorium? Maybe there's a space at the Rescue Center Joe had the focus group at that he could make arrangements on? That was a really nice facility.

As for staying in Winchester, I'd move it out of there period for two reasons. One, that 40 miles or so off the interstate thing I was talking about above. Second, holding it in Winchester, with Hero-Gear being such a big factor in the exhibition could give the impression that it's just the Hero-Gear road show. And that could be a problem in attracting other competing vendors.

Edited by HexHead
I'm sure that's how my GPS took me the last time I was there as it's set for "fastest route", but it's still about 40 miles from the interstate.

I missed this one because I couldn't make it, but I'd like to attend future ones. I really applaud David and Joe for what they're trying to do, but after reading the several threads, I'm going to try and offer some helpful ideas.

From the pics I've seen, the location itself was dark and very depressing looking inside. I've worked enough retail over the years to tell you that's not a good combination to get people excited and spend their money. If they're going to stay in Winchester with this, then maybe find another place like an auditorium? Maybe there's a space at the Rescue Center Joe had the focus group at that he could make arrangements on? That was a really nice facility.

As for staying in Winchester, I'd move it out of there period for two reasons. One, that 40 miles or so off the interstate thing I was talking about above. Second, holding it in Winchester, with Hero-Gear being such a big factor in the exhibition could give the impression that it's just the Hero-Gear road show. And that could be a problem in attracting other competing vendors.

it's less than 20 miles from I-24 to where the expo was held by way of highway 64

Guest Crunchman

I've waited to make my comments just so the air would clear a little. I work a lot of shows, mostly R&K and a couple of small independents. I wanted to work this venue because it was "not your Daddy's" gun show. It most definitely was not the old tried and true concept. New vendors, company reps, 1st class wares, knowledgeable people, and a great friendly staff. If you were looking for cheap stuff, this was not the place to be. If you were looking for reasonable prices on great stuff, then you should've been there.

As a vendor, I can see a couple of things that were needed. More signage! There should have been signs along the highway directing people to the Expo, plus billboards in high traffic areas. Flyers should have been at the area hotels and motels, stores, heck, anywhere that would let you put them up. The other thing was the facility itself. It needs to be cleaner and better lit (I know, I read and heard what happened to the lights). Combined with the overcast weather, the interior was nearly gloomy.

On a positive note, this was an excellent first time show! I look for it to only get better. We will be coming back, if they will have us.

Unfortunately I didn't get to go, but I will make a few observations.

1. It seems that most folks had very high expectations and that should say something for the kind of product the organizers are known for. (HG, TGO,.....)

2. The location seems to have been a bit of a hindrance for attendees (it was for me), but I imagine it was better suited for the folks putting it on. Being the first one that is completely understandable.

3. Although not all the vendors showed, it seem to have been what it was supposed to be for the most part.

These things are incredibly hard to organize and put together and I imagine there is quite a learning curve. That being said, I bet the few details that created negativity will be addressed and the details that could put the event over the top will be evident at the next event.

From what I've heard it sounded like a really good idea and will only get better as the learning curve diminishes. Some of you guys are pretty harsh and lead me to believe you haven't organized or lead in a major event along these lines. If you had you would be praising the event that it didn't have more problems than it did.

Guest Bronker
Unfortunately I didn't get to go, but I will make a few observations.

1. It seems that most folks had very high expectations and that should say something for the kind of product the organizers are known for. (HG, TGO,.....)

2. The location seems to have been a bit of a hindrance for attendees (it was for me), but I imagine it was better suited for the folks putting it on. Being the first one that is completely understandable.

3. Although not all the vendors showed, it seem to have been what it was supposed to be for the most part.

These things are incredibly hard to organize and put together and I imagine there is quite a learning curve. That being said, I bet the few details that created negativity will be addressed and the details that could put the event over the top will be evident at the next event.

From what I've heard it sounded like a really good idea and will only get better as the learning curve diminishes. Some of you guys are pretty harsh and lead me to believe you haven't organized or lead in a major event along these lines. If you had you would be praising the event that it didn't have more problems than it did.

Ever the voice of reason...I'd say that's an accurate detail of the situation.

• Administrator

Random points worth mentioning...

We had two excellent vendors that we were excited to have present who had to cancel because of health reasons. Health reasons aren't "BS" and I know that Joe did not mean to imply that either of those two were guilty of that. A person cannot help it when illness throws them a curve.

That said, it did screw us badly when Guns & Leather had to pull out, but take that as a compliment if you will. We had anchored a large part of the show floor on G&L because we knew they'd bring the noise. Losing them when Daniel got sick caused a lot of panic.

But we love Daniel and wish him the speediest of recoveries as he continues to fight syphilis. I understand that his nose looks almost normal now. ;):P

Ben @ Israeli Combat has a reason to be upset. Sorta. I did tell him we'd do everything we could to make people aware that he would be available for training sessions. I personally dropped the ball on that. The only excuse I can give is that if anyone saw me at the show, they saw me running my ass off taking care of things all over the show, pretty much every second of it.

Joe and I also forgot to do the FREE handgun raffle that we had intended. The plan was just to have people register for the drawing, and I didn't even think about it until about 1pm on Sunday. :D

We had a pretty good plan for the show. It lasted until about 9am on Thursday, December 10th and then went completely out the window when we started doing serious triage to the show format.

Anyway... I f'ed a few things up. I'll try to do better next time.

Guest clsutton21
Random points worth mentioning...

Joe and I also forgot to do the FREE handgun raffle that we had intended. The plan was just to have people register for the drawing, and I didn't even think about it until about 1pm on Sunday. :D

Do I mail my entry to the Ronin Group or Hero Gear?

Guest Bronker
Shaddup non attendee

I was up til 0400 building stage props at my church for the childrens' christmas play...

Is this where you want to be when Jesus comes back...? Making fun of His servants working for the children?:D

He's everywhere you know?

You heathen:D

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

i took Exit 127 off of 24 and didn't drive more than 20 more miles. Pretty simple and straight forward way of getting to the expo.

Edited by StreetWK05