President Obama's Nobel Prize Remarks

Conservative praise for Nobel speech - Yahoo! News

An excerpt:

“Whatever mistakes we have made, the plain fact is this: the United States of America has helped underwrite global security for more than six decades with the blood of our citizens and the strength of our arms,†Obama said. “The service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform has promoted peace and prosperity from Germany to Korea, and enabled democracy to take hold in places like the Balkans.â€

Wow.......I disagree with a lot of his policies, but I appreciate these comments at least. He even had the fortitude to deliver this speech to a room full of fawning, pacifist, peacenik Europeans. :rock:

Some pretty interesting analysis in the article I linked, too.

Here's a good one....

Added Walter Russell Mead, Henry A. Kissinger senior fellow for U.S. foreign policy at the Council on Foreign Relations: “If Bush had said these things the world would be filled with violent denunciations,†said “When Obama says them, people purr. That is fine by me.â€

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest That Guy

I hear ya. I, too, was taken off-guard when I heard this. However, it's the least he could do. If he said anything to the contrary after increasing troop levels, he would sound like (even more of) a buffoon. The guy is calculated and must have an ulterior motive.

Despite the truth is this utterance, he is still, at best, an ass-clown.

Guest Muttling

I loved his speech......

He won the Nobel PEACE Prize, but his words spoke of the necessity to fight those who oppose peace and spoke to the decades of America being the primary warrior in the fight for peace.

I'm hoping that many of the voters were rolling their eyes in disbelief. They are in big need of a reality check!!!!!

For those who say he didn't deserve it, I agree wth you and so does Obama. He took this opportunity to get the word out that defense is a critical part of peace, and wouldn't have been given this much attention had he said it on another stage. He did well.

This is what I see.

“Whatever mistakes we have made, the plain fact is this: the United States of America has helped underwrite global security for more than six decades with the blood of our citizens and the strength of our arms,†Obama said. “The service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform has promoted peace and prosperity from Germany to Korea, and enabled democracy to take hold in places like the Balkans.â€

Sorry he still hates this country and always will until the government has its fingers in everything

Big deal. Every president since FDR has been saying the same thing: That war is necessary to fight evil and promote safety and security throughout the world, and the world has America to thank for it. He knows that the Europeans already love him, he's just trying to curry favor at home. Talk about being slick.

Big deal. Every president since FDR has been saying the same thing: That war is necessary to fight evil and promote safety and security throughout the world, and the world has America to thank for it. He knows that the Europeans already love him, he's just trying to curry favor at home. Talk about being slick.

It was almost certainly the most bellicose acceptance speech in the history of the Peace Prize.

Yep, those Europeans really ate it up, especially the 6,000 that marched in a protest to his hotel right there in Oslo after his speech.

- OS

Guest bkelm18
Yeah, I see what you mean, since no mistakes have ever been made by US Government entities.

- OS

But... but... but.... :crazy:

How can we hate the gov't because it's imperfect yet get mad at the man for saying so?

Sorry guys. I don't buy it. If things he said in his speech this time were so great then why doesn't he say the same things all the time? The man will say whatever it takes to get him through the moment.

"Faith without works is dead" and here lies the problem with politics today. We rise or fall in the moment based on an empty speech. Evidently we (Americans in general) are incapable of judging a body of work if the mouth is smooth enough. "A flatterer's words lead to destruction".

IF you remember Reagan was not considered a great speaker until the end of his presidency. Reagan was a great orator because his deeds gave his words power. Churchill the same way. Even in a negative sense Hitler and Stalin.

Obama knows what to say to keep people watching the right hand while the left stays it's course. We would be better off if we never listened to another political speech again. I think the Robes Pierre would agree. :crazy:

I would rather look at what he has done lately than what he says.

If he was consistent with that type of speech it's one thing. I think he's testing the waters to see which rhetoric works the best for the polls. If not that then it was an accident and he'll go back into apology mode. Saying what you want to hear is a politicians stock and trade. Living it and meaning it is altogether different.

I'll tell you why he made this particularly worded speech. His latest poll numbers just came out and he was at 47% approval rate. This is the lowest of any president this far into their term. EVER!

He's looking at 2012 and thinking "I won't be able to pull it off".

Yup. And he's already been campaigning for 2012 since Nov. 5, 2008. This will be the longest Presidential campaign in history, breaking the record of the last one for the 2008 election. Only this time, instead of having $800 million in funny 'contributions' to use, he's got a huge portion of $700 BILLION from TARP that is unaccounted for. Just saving it up for the right time. :rofl:

If he was consistent with that type of speech it's one thing. I think he's testing the waters to see which rhetoric works the best for the polls. If not that then it was an accident and he'll go back into apology mode. Saying what you want to hear is a politicians stock and trade. Living it and meaning it is altogether different.

Call me a traitor, but isn't that a good thing?

If the people are telling him that he's not doing a good job in the approvals, then that would mean he's listening, and could (pardon the word) change some of the crap that he has done...

Call me a traitor, but isn't that a good thing?

If the people are telling him that he's not doing a good job in the approvals, then that would mean he's listening, and could (pardon the word) change some of the crap that he has done...

FOLLOW ME...

hg2.jpg

I'm hoping that was sarcasm or you need a nap. I don't think he's "seen the light."

No, wasn't sarcasm.

He seems to have changed his stance on the war some, for one.

At lease to me anyway.

IIRC, but didn't he have the stance of reducing troop counts TGTAFO there?

But hasn't he instead increased troop counts?

Don't get me wrong, now. I hate the guy just as much as anybody, but I don't look at my feelings to judge a persons actions.

Probably because when he became POTUS he was told what was happening. Similar wording between Bush and Obama. I really don't care what the community organizer thinks, it can't be good.

No, wasn't sarcasm.

At lease to me anyway.

This quote from Smith explains that pretty well -

Obama knows what to say to keep people watching the right hand while the left stays it's course.

The General asks for 60,000, Obammy sends (or promises to, as no one has gone anywhere yet) 30,000. Now if the General had thought he needed 110,000, he would have asked for 110,000. Generals don't ask for 60,000 in the hopes of getting 30,000. They ask for what they need. Obammy is doing ALL troops a dis-service by further endangering their lives by only partially fulfilling the necessary troop level. Second-guessing your generals when you have never even held a job at McDonald's is not a good thing. He's playing with people's lives.

Edited by mcurrier
additional comment added
No, wasn't sarcasm.

At lease to me anyway.

IIRC, but didn't he have the stance of reducing troop counts TGTAFO there?

But hasn't he instead increased troop counts?

Don't get me wrong, now. I hate the guy just as much as anybody, but I don't look at my feelings to judge a persons actions.

Actually, Obama never campaigned on pulling the troops out of Afghanistan. He campaigned about pulling out of Iraq. The left wasn't paying attention to that one.

Guest Muttling
"Faith without works is dead" and here lies the problem with politics today. We rise or fall in the moment based on an empty speech. Evidently we (Americans in general) are incapable of judging a body of work if the mouth is smooth enough. "A flatterer's words lead to destruction".

IF you remember Reagan was not considered a great speaker until the end of his presidency. Reagan was a great orator because his deeds gave his words power. Churchill the same way. Even in a negative sense Hitler and Stalin.

Obama knows what to say to keep people watching the right hand while the left stays it's course. We would be better off if we never listened to another political speech again. I think the Robes Pierre would agree. :D

I would rather look at what he has done lately than what he says.

I didn't realize people considered Reagan or Stalin really good speakers. Let me note, however, you can't get the job of president without being a good speaker so I'm not saying Reagan was bad....just not that great at it.

Reagan is remembered for what he accomplished and his many flubs are forgotten. The best example would be his sound check where he jokingly said "My fellow Americans, I've just signed legislation outlawing Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes." That's a screw up that ranks on the John Kerry level for putting your foot in your mouth.

Churchill was a really good speaker....when he was sober. Hitler is likely the BEST orator of all time. I don't speak German, but you can feel the energy from his speeches even if you don't speak the language.

Obama is pretty good, but he's coming into a playing field that is sick of the GOP and Bush's attitude of "it's our way or nothing", "you're either with us or you're against us", etc. Bush, Chenny, and Rumsfeld's insane level of arrogance has made it easier for him to be well recieved.

I didn't realize people considered Reagan or Stalin really good speakers. Let me note, however, you can't get the job of president without being a good speaker so I'm not saying Reagan was bad....just not that great at it.

Reagan is remembered for what he accomplished and his many flubs are forgotten. The best example would be his sound check where he jokingly said "My fellow Americans, I've just signed legislation outlawing Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes." That's a screw up that ranks on the John Kerry level for putting your foot in your mouth.

Churchill was a really good speaker....when he was sober. Hitler is likely the BEST orator of all time. I don't speak German, but you can feel the energy from his speeches even if you don't speak the language.

Obama is pretty good, but he's coming into a playing field that is sick of the GOP and Bush's attitude of "it's our way or nothing", "you're either with us or you're against us", etc. Bush, Chenny, and Rumsfeld's insane level of arrogance has made it easier for him to be well recieved.

Amazing! Even though you missed the point entirely, it is interesting to watch your mind work. BTW - Reagan is referred to as The Great Orator.