Permit info needed.

I need some info on obtaining a TN carry permit. So far I have gotten several different responses to my question.

I recently relocated to Knox area from Fl. I have a current Florida CCW permit. Now that I am a Tn resident I want to get a Tn permit. So far I have been told everything from, "You don't need a Tn permit just keep using your Fl permit until it expires" to " You have to take the entire class over and submit everything" to "I don't think you need to take the class and fingerprints just pay the fees and submit paperwork."

I am starting to get tired of running from Motor vehicle people, to courthouse, to sheriff dept., to gunshop trying to find the real answer.

Anybody having experience trying to convert a license from another state with info is welcome to chime in.

As near as I can tell, all that I need is to do the safety portion and pay the $50 renewal fee. I think?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest someguy12341

I didn't see an answer to this in the State Dept. of Safety's FAQ, but here is their contact info:

http://state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

If it's me, I'd call them direct and see if a) they can give me specifics, and :D if I can just mail the info to them so I don't have to wait in line somewhere (although my gut feeling is you're still going to have to go through the DL station... I could be wrong.) Hope this helps.

BTW, please post what they tell you, so we'll all know the correct info. Good luck!

Guest tjbert47

If your current permit is valid you will be treated as a renewal.

Just take $50 and your filled out application to any drivers license office.

Tom in TN

If your current permit is valid you will be treated as a renewal.

Just take $50 and your filled out application to any drivers license office.

Tom in TN

Actually, it is treated as a renewal in terms of the fee, but he does need to take an approved course since FL does not require one. Here is a link to the TNDOS requirement: http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/apprequirements.htm#FL

Florida

• Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, and pay the applicable renewal fee.
    (Florida requires fingerprinting but does not require a safety course.)