Keep it handy!

Guest Guitarsnguns

Guest Guitarsnguns

Things happen VERY quickly, and a carry weapon that is not at your fingertips is going to be useless in most cases. This week my wife and two sons were attacked by an aggressive dog. My oldest (17yrs.) received deep puncture wounds in his foot and a toenail ripped off before my wife was able to deter the animal. She has a carry permit, and conceals a S&W airlte .38 in her purse, which was only useful as a little extra weight as she beat the dog with said purse. She now carries in a pocket holster. The moral of the story is...In real life situations where deadly force might be required to protect yourself or your family, there will likely be no warning, and a gun that can not be put into action instantly is not an asset at all.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guitarsnguns

Yes, dog has been dealt with. The owner is my sister, and untill this incident, the dog had been a trusted family pet with no history of agressive behavior. Just goes to show ya'. My son is recovering well. Thanks.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I am glad you son is recovering. I was bit by a dog as a child.

Not to make light of this serious situation, but I found your phrasing:

"She has a carry permit, and conceals a S&W airlte .38 in her purse, which was only useful as a little extra weight as she beat the dog with said purse."

To be amusing. Reminds me of a benny hill sketch, and I heard the music in my head.

Yes, dog has been dealt with. The owner is my sister, and untill this incident, the dog had been a trusted family pet with no history of agressive behavior. Just goes to show ya'. My son is recovering well. Thanks.

OOPS!

Sorry I blasted your Sis. :screwy:

If this case is the first and is unusual, then I'd be looking and trying to determine exactly what set the dog off? Just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Guest Guitarsnguns
OOPS!

Sorry I blasted your Sis. :screwy:

If this case is the first and is unusual, then I'd be looking and trying to determine exactly what set the dog off? Just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

No offense taken. Nobody is sure why the dog reacted the way it did, but we are very sure it will never happen again.:D

Guest Muttling

I'm glad your son is ok.

On a readiness note, I was always trained to do 2 things. 1 - Keep your weapon accessible. 2 - Keep your fighting hand free.

I'm right handed and carry on my right hip. My keys, change, wallet, etc. go in my left pockets. My groceries are carried in my left hand. You're screwed if the weapon is accessible, but the fighting hand is occupied.

I'm glad your son is ok.

On a readiness note, I was always trained to do 2 things. 1 - Keep your weapon accessible. 2 - Keep your fighting hand free.

I'm right handed and carry on my right hip. My keys, change, wallet, etc. go in my left pockets. My groceries are carried in my left hand. You're screwed if the weapon is accessible, but the fighting hand is occupied.

This is a very good point I have found myself either carrying my 4 yo son in my left arm(I'm a lefty by the way)or I will tote bags in my left hand and I will quickly change arms or hands.ALWAYS keep your fighting hand free.Things happen fast.:D

I'm glad your son is ok.

I wasnt trained, but I do carry everything the same way with the same mindset(if you can't reach it, its worthless).

Its weird how family dogs can be. I was attacked by a German Shepard when I was young. the dog was trained by metro police. It decided to play with me by knocking me down and trying to scratch my face and throat off. Not fun getting stitched up at 7years old thats for sure. Glad hes alright.

Glad your son and wife are ok, and no serious injury happened. I hope you got your son checked out by a doc. I was attaked by a dog a few years ago, but it was my own fault for wondering on its property while trying to do my job. My wife is a animal control officer, and we have seen this numerous times over the years. I will only guess at the breed, and I would be surprised if it wasn't one of the three that are on the tip of my tongue...

Thanks for posting, valuable lessons to be learned. If the tool is not accessible it is worthless.

Would your wife really have killed a family member's dog? I would have a problem doing that myself unless the dog was known to be unstable and or vicious.

Sometimes we never know what sets a dog off. Last year about this time I was at a Christmas party where an 11 year old was bitten by the host's 20lb terrier type dog. The dog had shown no prior signs of aggression to anyone there, had made his rounds among all attendees with the usual sniffs and wags. The kid lives with a 90 lb German Shepherd and does just fine around my 90 lb GSD, so it was not a fear of dog type thing??????

We were all seated around tables when the 11 YO jumped and cried out that the dog had bitten him on the leg, definitely unprovoked, no eye contact or anything like that. Inspection revealed a puncture wound but since the dog had all his shots it was dropped at that.

Glad all turned out well for your family.

oldogy

Things happen VERY quickly, and a carry weapon that is not at your fingertips is going to be useless in most cases. This week my wife and two sons were attacked by an aggressive dog. My oldest (17yrs.) received deep puncture wounds in his foot and a toenail ripped off before my wife was able to deter the animal. She has a carry permit, and conceals a S&W airlte .38 in her purse, which was only useful as a little extra weight as she beat the dog with said purse. She now carries in a pocket holster. The moral of the story is...In real life situations where deadly force might be required to protect yourself or your family, there will likely be no warning, and a gun that can not be put into action instantly is not an asset at all.

I'm not so sure how instant a pocket holster is going to be.

Guest Guitarsnguns
Bet I can draw with mine and fast as anyone with a IWB and it for sure would have to be quicker than in the purse.

Personally, I use a pocket holster too. My pistol fits very comfortably in my right fromt pocket, and I can draw it in a flash except when seated. In seated situations, I will chose a breast pocket or some other easy to get at location. For me this is a nice balance of maximun concealment and utility.

Guest Guitarsnguns
Thanks for posting, valuable lessons to be learned. If the tool is not accessible it is worthless.

Would your wife really have killed a family member's dog? I would have a problem doing that myself unless the dog was known to be unstable and or vicious.

I agree oldogy, and she would most likely not have opted for the gun; however, It was a real lesson in concealed carry usefulness because violent attacks generally come out of nowhwere when you least expect it.
Guest Guitarsnguns
Sorry to hear about your son. I was bitten on the rear end once by a german shephard as a kid. I stupidly tried to run and he got me just as I was leaping the chain link fence. Anyways, before everyone goes off half cocked and blames the pit bull in the mix let me say that I have owned several pure breds over the years and never once have they ever looked at me or any other person the wrong way. Mine would lick you to death and constantly wanted attention. They minded well and did what they were told and caused no problems what so ever.

I also have a problem with the stereotyping of breeds as inately aggressive. (Mostly due to insurance companies risk ratings) I have had dogs my entire life and several were on the top 5 killer dog list. Those "killers" happened to be the finest animal companions and protectors out of all the other breeds. I find that dogs will do what they are conditiones to do. It just so happens that those certain breeds are frequently trained to guard, attack, fight and generally be aggressive.

Guest Muttling
The dog was a mutt of some kind, but did have some pit bull in the mix.

I want you to listen to me. I am going to say this again. Muttling did not have sexual relations with that pit bull. I never told that dog to lie, not a single time. Never. These allegations are false.