Took a new shooter out today...thanks to all of you who helped!

StPatrick

This post is just a general thank you to all the TGO members who have answered so many of my questions over the last several months. In half a year, I've gone from someone who had never fired a handgun before to that "ragged hole" guy you see at the range (if I could just get rid of the blasted flyers). A great deal of that is thanks to the guidance I got from so many who post here.

Today, I took my younger sister to the range for her first time. The RSOs at the Stones River TWRA range were fantastic, and so were all the other shooters there. They made her feel welcome and invited to a place that can be very intimidating for a first-timer. She had a great time, and is now a permanent convert to our side - she even said that the "mystique" was gone. For the cost of about 200 rounds between the two of us, she no longer sees a gun as anything other than plastic and steel, and realizes she is its master. In other words, Awesomeness. It's probably the best $60 I've spent in ages. She is now certified paper-plate accurate, and can load, unload, and make safe most pistols.

Thanks to all of you who helped make it possible for us to have such a great day. TGO members played a big part in making her first shooting experience very positive, enjoyable, instructive, and safe.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

CollinP2, what were you shooting? I didn't get to talk to many people today, but if you were the guy to my right with the Walther and the M&P, nice shooting.

On most occasions out there, I see maybe one or two good shots if it's busy, but today was a good day. I saw a "regular" (the 1911 / large-frame revolver guy who makes one big hole at 45', and walks with a cane), and a couple guys on down the line were doing some impressive rapid fire drills with Glocks. There was zero spray and pray. The total experience could not have been any better.

I agree 110% about the range staffers. The RSOs could not have been any friendlier or more encouraging than they were.

I love Chicago, but I'm glad I've lived down here for the last 15 years. There is no way we could have had her first shoot up there, and had it turn out so well.

Edited by StPatrick