Sig P239 IWB

StPatrick

Gents,

I'm getting ready to make the leap and get my HCP. My intended carry piece is a Sig P239, SA/DA, 9mm (picked up on the TGO trading post, BTW, thanks Silver). I've heard and read many good things about various holster options, but never where said holster is positioned, or when different "X O'clock" positions work better than others.

As the subject line mentioned, I'm leaning towards IWB, since I generally don't wear baggy clothes, and my shirt is tucked in 95% of the time.

With that preface, here are my questions:

1: What positions (2:00, 5:00, etc.) work best for a right-hander, and in what situations? What are their drawbacks?

2: Is there a holster that can do it all, or is it better to have multiple carry options based on how you're dressed?

3: If the multiple carry options win, do they pass a cost / benefit analysis?

4: Finally, can owners of both weigh in on the Supertuck / Minotaur battle? Everybody who has one of either loves it; does anyone have both?

5: Supertuck vs. Minotaur vs. XXX? I don't know :confused: about :poop:, so if there's a better IWB rig out there for a Sig P239, please let me know.

Thanks,

StPatrick

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

StPatrick, 1st let me say that a P239 is a great choice and I still miss mine, I noticed you said you dont wear baggy clothes and I dont either and I tried a IWB holster and due to my pants fit the IWB was just to tight with all my pants so now I go OWB. I bought a Don Hume 721 open top for my P228 and I really like it, it also fits the P229R but a little tight and my P226 fits good, I tried my G19 and it fits also so I'm pretty happy all my guns fit the same holster for me!!! COOP

COOP,

Thanks for your response. I should have provided more background information. I wear jeans and dress shirts to work, which is my area of primary concern (Rosa Parks just north of the Capitol builiding, for Nashvillians). I need to be able to conceal until I get there, and pick right up where I left off when I leave, without the need to change clothes, or wear a jacket / vest in summer.

Thanks, though. For my own time away from the job, I'll take a good look at the Don Hume you mentioned.

Patrick, I have my 239 on right now in a comp-tac MTAC and it is very comfortable. I wear mine in the 4-5 position and have the pistol canted with the barrel back just a small bit.

Besides being very comfortable, the MTAC can be fitted with different sleeves so if you decide to get a different pistol all you have to do is order the corresponding sleeve and you don't have to buy a completely different holster. Depending on what you add to the mix you can get the slide version of their sleeve and accommodate different size pistols if they are in the same family (like a glock 26 and 19).

I have sleeves for my 239 and 228/229 both rail and non rail versions.

I also have the Gladiator from comp-tac. It also has the ability to have different sleeves so when I want to wear OWB I can carry my 239, 228/229's or my 226 by just changing the kydex part. It seems to be a fairly economical solution for me.

I live in Franklin and also work pretty close to you. If you want to see how it fits drop me an e-mail and we can set it up.

Mark

Being a newb myself, I can't offer much but I will offer what I can. I have a 239 that I wear daily in either a Bullard Dual carry (IWB mode) and in a Blackhawk clip on (cheapie) I tend to wear the Bullard in the 3:30 - 4 position due to the size of the holster, the Blackhawk I wear at 3.

I actually am looking for a quality holster like the Blackhawk since I have to take off the gun several times a day given certain destinations that preclude carry.

The Bullard is avail online at www.dmbullardleather.com and the Blackhawk can be picked up at most gun shops, Academy, etc...

Roy

Give Custom Carry Concepts a look, Rich is a really great guy and his stuff is easily as good or better than crossbreed, comp-tac, blade-tech, etc. if you may be considering kydex - just A LOT more affordable.

His "Quick Cover" looks like it would be perfect for your needs at $39.00!

Quick Cover IWB - Custom Carry Concepts,LLC - can't beat his prices, and they're great quality, his $20 "Versa Clip" is my favorite holster out of a bunch of WAY more expensive ones...

He also makes an m-tac clone that may be a bit better than the original for $49!

Good luck!

Edited by CK1

I actually am looking for a quality holster like the Blackhawk since I have to take off the gun several times a day given certain destinations that preclude carry.

Roy

Found it. Custom Carry Concepts "Versaclip" is it.

CK1,

I'm leaning towards J-hooks, or velcro (as a last resort) - any kind of "over the belt" clips are a no-go for me.

Again, thanks for the suggestion,

Patrick

Give Custom Carry Concepts a look, Rich is a really great guy and his stuff is easily as good or better than crossbreed, comp-tac, blade-tech, etc. if you may be considering kydex - just A LOT more affordable.

His "Quick Cover" looks like it would be perfect for your needs at $39.00!

Quick Cover IWB - Custom Carry Concepts,LLC - can't beat his prices, and they're great quality, his $20 "Versa Clip" is my favorite holster out of a bunch of WAY more expensive ones...

He also makes an m-tac clone that may be a bit better than the original for $49!

Good luck!

Don Hume holsters are tough to beat for the money. I picked up a bare asset holster from High Noon Holsters. I think I paid around $25 for it. It fits my glock 19 very well and also fits my 229. The clip is on the widest part of the holster, but it is still pretty easy to conceal. It is also easy to remove quickly. Inside The Waistband. I have picked up several holsters from them and they are all high quality, especially the need for speed belt holster. It is one of the best 1911 holsters I have found.

I have always hated the kydex IWB holsters, that is until I got one with a recent trade. It is the Supertuck. My intention was to put it up for sale, but I tried it on first. It really is a comfortable holster. It is a lot of holster to try to cram in your waist line, but seems to disappear pretty quickly. After 5 minutes of wearing it I forgot it was there.

CK1,

I'm leaning towards J-hooks, or velcro (as a last resort) - any kind of "over the belt" clips are a no-go for me.

Again, thanks for the suggestion,

Patrick

CCC offers J-hooks on their holsters... Guess they're not shown, check out the belt clip options pull down menus...