Compact/Sub-Compact Options?

Bubbatn

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from the taurus. My roommate got one as his first gun. Had so many problems with it literally every time we went to the range. Glock. period. Id just save money a bit longer until you can get one. You wont be sorry.

So its either Glock or nothin' with you guys huh? :P

I've seen so many comments on this site, and several others about "Get what fits you best, and what your comfortable with"....guess that doesn't apply here? :P I've looked at the glocks, and I just don't like them...they don't fit my hand comfortably. The grips are too thick for me. Not saying the guns aren't reliable or anything, but they just don't fit me. Which is why i'm consider the S&W or the Kahr.

So its either Glock or nothin' with you guys huh? :P

I've seen so many comments on this site, and several others about "Get what fits you best, and what your comfortable with"....guess that doesn't apply here? :P I've looked at the glocks, and I just don't like them...they don't fit my hand comfortably. The grips are too thick for me. Not saying the guns aren't reliable or anything, but they just don't fit me. Which is why i'm consider the S&W or the Kahr.

Glocks just don't feel right to me either, never have. I do have a S&W M&P9c that I like a lot though. If you want to try and buy new and you aren't in a really big hurry, S&W has been having special offers on M&Ps pretty regularly for the last couple of years. When I bought mine they were offering a rebate for either two free magazines or $50. That would get the price down a little closer to the range you mentioned. I took the two free mags and it worked out to be a great deal. It did take a while to get my free mags though.

The one thing that is kinda in the back of my head with the Kahr is that there is no actual safety on the gun(aside from the DA trigger). Should this be a concern for me? I know alot of people recommend revolvers to alot of newbies, so I couldn't see this being a big issue. What is your guys thoughts on that?

The one thing that is kinda in the back of my head with the Kahr is that there is no actual safety on the gun(aside from the DA trigger). Should this be a concern for me? I know alot of people recommend revolvers to alot of newbies, so I couldn't see this being a big issue. What is your guys thoughts on that?

Same as Glock, or, as you mention, a revolver. Glock is shorter pull, revolver generally significantly heavier (in double action, anyway).

Won't go off unless trigger is pulled to fruition.

And don't everybody give my that Glock (or XD and others) "safe trigger" crap. There's no reasonable way to pull those triggers withOUT the "trigger safety" being activated - I've always thought this is total hype, not a safety at all, and shouldn't even be there.

- OS

How is the warranty on S&W guns?(ie. M&Pc)

I couldn't find anything regarding warranty on the Kahr website, so I shot them an email. Got a reply back this morning...5yrs for the original owner. That would be fine with me, but I suppose warranty is something I should still consider. What do you guys think?

If I couldn't afford a Glock et al, I'd get a S&W Sigma before I got a Taurus.

+1 on the sigma but that is a full size gun. Not a carry item imho. I have had 3 of the latest taurus mil pro guns and they were all great weapons. under 400 they can't be beat.

Yeah the op could save a little longer and get something better.. but under 400 is under 400. You'll be hard pressed to find anything NIB under 400 as reliable as the mil pro series.

How is the warranty on S&W guns?(ie. M&Pc)

I couldn't find anything regarding warranty on the Kahr website, so I shot them an email. Got a reply back this morning...5yrs for the original owner. That would be fine with me, but I suppose warranty is something I should still consider. What do you guys think?

S&W has lifetime warranty. Kahr is fine weapon too. I personally carry a PM40 but at ~600 they are sorta hard on the wallet.

Thanks guy, I really appreciate the input.

How much does a typical used M&Pc run?(pricewise) If I do get one of these, I would like to find a deal on a used one, since they are quite abit more than the Kahr. Also, Does the S&W warranty transfer to the 2nd owner?

Does anyone know where I might get my hands on a Taurus PT111 to shoot? I know Coal Creek doesn't have one, and I checked with Sevier Indoor Range and they don't have one either.

I just called a local place that can order me a new Millenium Pro PT111 for $375, and I am seriously thinking about looking into it. Although I would really like to be able to shoot one first, as i've never even shot a handgun myself.

ok... this is significant and i know a lot of folks have commented here. all good comments about getting your hands on it, feeling it, and some instruction.

one more thing i'd like to point out. As you are really very new at this gun thing, I would highly recommend you have someone at the gun counter or friend show you how to take apart and reassemble the ones you are considering. While the Tarus may be a piece of cake for the gun crowd here, i doubt it will be for you.

This has nothing to do with you or how smart you are or how good the gun is. It is rather a statement with regard to the utter simplicity of the XD and the Glock. no tiny this or that to lose launch itself across the room. it's easy. even my 11 year old can dissable/assemble the G or the XD. and if you own it, plan to bet your life on it, you better be comfortable with how clean it is after you train with it. easy to disassemble/assemble will be easy to clean.

if money is the problem, wait a bit, the difference will be well worth it to get something that is utterly simple.

me personally, if i was going to give you only one, it would be the XD. i'll bet you would be easily 'minute of badguy' accurate fresh outa the box.

just some thoughts....

wished we lived closer.

we could spend the day at the range.

i'd let you shoot every single thing that's been mentioned here, then you could pick the one that works for you

So its either Glock or nothin' with you guys huh? ;)

I've seen so many comments on this site, and several others about "Get what fits you best, and what your comfortable with"....guess that doesn't apply here? :koolaid: I've looked at the glocks, and I just don't like them...they don't fit my hand comfortably. The grips are too thick for me. Not saying the guns aren't reliable or anything, but they just don't fit me. Which is why i'm consider the S&W or the Kahr.

S&W will serve you very well.

The Kahr will serve you very well.

of the two, go w/ the S&W.

I have both.

along w/ the XD and the glock.

I won't own anything i won't go to war with, and they all work.

Love the Kahr for how truly thin and concealable they are.

you give up capacity. And they can be somewhat finicky w/ hollow point ammo, so be sure you try it out. the feed ramps are very steep, but again, just try it out. I love mine. my every day i'm in a suit carry.

the S$W is great. the tolerance is kinda lose, but who cares! it'll eat about anything you feed it, it's got the adjustable backstrap so you can make it fit your hand just right. S&W is very responsive to repairs. turn around on service for one of mine was 10 days. Plus, you get more rounds on tap.

just my humble opinion, again

Thanks alot Crash!

I have already been watching cleaning vids on youtube of each of these guns, the Kahr seems to be the most tricky as the spring and that rod isn't one piece, so you gotta be careful when removing that. But otherwise, I think I shouldn't have too much of a problem. Don't think i've watched one on the S&W, but I can't imagine it being much different between the others? But like I said, I have already been doing ALOT of research on this site, other forums, online reviews as well as youtube reviews/demo's.

I really do appreciate everyones info, I am going to CCA tomorrow in hopes that they have one of those CW9's(they list it on their site as a rental) and possibly the XDc. I am going to try these out and fire them each to see what I think. Then another member of the site here has been kind enough to meet me over there another day to try out his M&Pc. After that, I think that will pretty well determine my decision upon firing the weapons.

Although it may be after Christmas before I have the cash to actually make my purchase. :hiding:

you are welcome....

best wishes to you in your search.

my point was this:

the spring over the guiderod is not a big deal really...

my experience w/ a few different taurus Pro models is different however, mover little parts that can launch themselves into oblivian...

hands on is the best way to go.

and the simpler, the better.

keep us posted.