Compact/Sub-Compact Options?

Bubbatn

If you have smaller hands, and a Glock feels too big, an M&p with the small backstrap installed is your best bet...

Do yourself a favor and check around all over the popular gun forums out there for info on Taurus', you'll quickly find that quite a high percentage of Taurus buyers/owners are new to guns and didn't know any better, how way too many have had issues, and also the fact that you almost never find an example of somebody trading a Glock, M&P, or XD for one, and LOTS trying to trade their Taurus' for something better, like a Glock, M&P, or XD...

In general, many including myself will not recommend a Taurus gun with the possible exception of their revolvers or their Beretta clones (which are actually produced on actual old original Beretta equipment).

I have read the reviews on the Taurus'...on several different forums, but most(I realize not all) are based on the older millennium pro guns. I see there are still issues with some of the newer guns, but seems to me not near like there was with older models. I also see alot of people talk about how happy they are with there Taurus guns as well. I just simply can't afford to spend 5-600 dollars on a gun. And I don't have enough knowledge of what i'm looking at to trust myself on buying a used gun.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read the reviews on the Taurus'...on several different forums, but most(I realize not all) are based on the older millennium pro guns. I see there are still issues with some of the newer guns, but seems to me not near like there was with older models. I also see alot of people talk about how happy they are with there Taurus guns as well. I just simply can't afford to spend 5-600 dollars on a gun. And I don't have enough knowledge of what i'm looking at to trust myself on buying a used gun.

Look, I'm just trying to save you some grief by pointing out that with the Taurus guns NOT having any issues is the exception to the rule, with the others, especially Glocks, ANY issues at all is the exception...

You can easily find used Glocks, M&P's, and XD's for less than $500 and even without much knowledge you can rest assured you'll still be ok as all those manufacturers will warranty their guns and refurbish them if you need to send them in, just look out for rare cases where the old owners may have modified them, stock guns will be fine.

Another less well known option, and my personal favorite, is the Glock 19-sized Steyr M9-A1, it's got a much smaller/better grip than a Glock and works very well for guys with smaller hands, but I doubt you'll be able to find one to rent... They're not importing them again until next year so currently the only place you can get them right now is here:Dunn's sporting goods - you'd have to call and arrange an FFL transfer to your local shop.

This is a very high quality $650-700 piece being sold for $400, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, I've got one with 5000+ rounds through it without a hiccup and their customer service is probably the best in the country if you ever need it.

Good luck, and remember a $400 Taurus will be worth $250 if you decide to trade it in, while the others mentioned will hold most of their value if you save and maybe spend a little more.

I've own TAURUS semi-auto & revolvers, I haven't had any issues with them, they have LIFETIME WARRANTY !!! ...

Generally means you'll need it in the LIFETIME of the gun, and it might take a LIFETIME to get it repaired.

(couldn't resist),

- OS

I just can't get enough guns like them all, hell I even owned a RAVEN 25, and believe it or not it didn't jam !!!

Oh, I'm far from a gun snob.

I have two, count 'em TWO, Hi-Point guns.

I EXPECT them to need repair, and one already has.

Diff is, a phone call to Ohio, and free parts were in my hand 3 days later. Didn't even ask for the serial #.

I've also never heard of anyone who needed to send one in having to wait over a couple weeks or so, and they're always returned with an extra free mag or two. And never a refusal to fix them, even if gun was obviously abused, like run over by a truck or something.

- OS

Generally means you'll need it in the LIFETIME of the gun, and it might take a LIFETIME to get it repaired.

(couldn't resist),

- OS

+1000

OhShoot, you nailed it perfectly!

I am curious if you had the web of your hand as high as it would go, and the bottom meaty part of your thumb/hand directly behind the Glock when you handled it. I have small hands, especially compared to some of you gorillas, and a proper grip makes a HUGE difference. Especially once you start actually shooting. Most new shooters want, me included, to grip a glock like a hammer focusing on the bottom of the grip. But your focus needs to be on keeping a high grip. I'm obviously no instructor, just want you to have a Glock 19 like the rest of us :tinfoil:

+1000

OhShoot, you nailed it perfectly!

Got to agree with OhShoot & CK1 here. I don't know how many threads have been started by folks new to guns coming up with Taurus as their first choice. I swear the local shop owners must have one helluv an incentive to sell them, and they latch onto newbies (no disrespect here btw, we are all newbies in some regard).

I'm sorry, but I've heard more bad Taurus stories than good. I'd save up a few more bucks and get a Glock, XD or M&P. I've got two of those 3 and can't say enuff good about them. Even better....save up even a little more money and get a decent 1911. In retrospect, that's where I wished I'd started. 1911's rule....:)

Guest HexHead

I'm sorry, but I've heard more bad Taurus stories than good. I'd save up a few more bucks and get a Glock, XD or M&P.

If I couldn't afford a Glock et al, I'd get a S&W Sigma before I got a Taurus.

Hey OS...who's the holster maker here? Not a DMB, right?

Right, this is by Tim Thurner. TT Gunleather.

Hated to be unfaithful to David Bullard, but always wanted a model with leather belt loops integral to the design.

Been wearing it daily for 3 months or so now...nothing but praise.

- OS

Right, this is by Tim Thurner. TT Gunleather.

Hated to be unfaithful to David Bullard, but always wanted a model with leather belt loops integral to the design.

Been wearing it daily for 3 months or so now...nothing but praise.

- OS

Thanks OS. Looks good. Yeah, I'm not big on the DMB belt loops anymore. Use the metal clips or the Kydex. Got another DMB on the way. They're good, but the loops sit kind of funny. Also starting the 6 month (ha ha) wait on a Milt Sparks VM2. We'll see how those loops do.

Didn't mean to divert this thread, sorry.

Thanks alot guys!

Do any of you happen to know anywhere that I might get my hands on some of these suggestions? I have looked at the Taurus', but haven't looked at the XD's or Glocks yet. Would really like to find a place that I could try them out. I have been to Coal Creek in knoxville, but they don't carry the PT111, and I think the only other small guns they had in their rental center was maybe a G26(although i'm not sure on that even).

If this is your first handgun give hard consideration to buying a 4" gun (XDservice or Glock 19) in 9mm if you won't consider a 22lr. Cheap ammo, minimal recoil, and a 4" gun will do about anything the 4" or 3" will do. Everyone needs a 4" gun. Later supplement it with a compact (J frame in my case) and a full size (usually a big honkin' 1911 or N frame in my case) as you find specific needs the 4" just can't cover.

If you get up this way again, come through Oak Ridge and stop at Phantom's shop. Fair prices and usually Glocks, XD's, and Sigs abound.

I'll PM you if you are still looking next time I head that way to see my daughter and/or grandmother. You can shoot my XD or XDm depending on what I have at the time.

I just simply can't afford to spend 5-600 dollars on a gun. And I don't have enough knowledge of what i'm looking at to trust myself on buying a used gun.

1) you ain't likely to find a shot out modern pistol. People just don't shoot them that much. Most are "worn" from carry/sitting in the sock drawer and look a little rough on the outside.

2) don't buy a revolver and the check list is easier.

3) buy from a reputable shop and they will look over any used guns before they put them on the shelf (I've helped more than once give the once over and/or fix 'them).

4) stay with a known quantity (Glock, Springfield, S&W M&P, Walther PPS) over a not so known quantity (Taurus autos, revolvers they have figured out now).

5) small hands don't mean you have to have a tiny gun. A lady came into Phantom's shop looked at the PPS, came to his tech support day, shot the PPS, shot someone's XD, and someone's XDsc. She bought the XDsc - it felt okay, but, she shot the lights out with it vs just shooting the PPS well. Wasn't too shabby with the XD, but, the XDsc just conceals better on her tiny frame.

+1 for the XD. It was my first serious handgun purchase, and that was a year ago. I'm glad I tried one out, I did well enough that I HAD to get the XD. If I had gotten something else, it'd be like settling for something, and wondering "what if" I had gotten the XD.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the input. I'm still not sold on "all Taurus' are junk", but if I do look into a S&W M&Pc or a XDc, they will have to be used. I guess it will just come down to what I can find in my price range, and feel comfortable with. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.

Still wish I could find one of each to try out before I buy, Hoping maybe Coal Creek has one of these when I go back there. Thanks again.

So I stopped by the local gunshop(again) today. I checked out the M&P(they didn't have the compact version, but he told me the compact was very similar in the grips feel)....I like it. I also checked out the XDc...I liked it, but felt abit too bulky, mainly the grip I guess(again...I have small hands). So between those two, I would say the M&P won out, although I would really like to check out the compact version.

I also found another gun I would like to throw in the mix....Kahr CW9. Grip felt nice for my hands, I could get a good grip on it, size is perfect, not too thick. Out of these three, this one is probably my favorite as far as feel, and the price tag was getting down there close to my range. He had it priced 459-469(i think), but he said he could wiggle a little bit on that as well. So if I could get it down closer to $400-425, that may very well be the one I end up with. What do you guys know about this gun?

like most have said go to a few shops and handle the guns to see what feels good, then draw from that

cant go wrong with a glock or xd but I am a glock man and the g19 is a great gun

So I stopped by the local gunshop(again) today. I checked out the M&P(they didn't have the compact version, but he told me the compact was very similar in the grips feel)....I like it. I also checked out the XDc...I liked it, but felt abit too bulky, mainly the grip I guess(again...I have small hands). So between those two, I would say the M&P won out, although I would really like to check out the compact version.

I also found another gun I would like to throw in the mix....Kahr CW9. Grip felt nice for my hands, I could get a good grip on it, size is perfect, not too thick. Out of these three, this one is probably my favorite as far as feel, and the price tag was getting down there close to my range. He had it priced 459-469(i think), but he said he could wiggle a little bit on that as well. So if I could get it down closer to $400-425, that may very well be the one I end up with. What do you guys know about this gun?

If you want I will meet you at CCA and let you check out my M&P compact. I have a 9 and a 40. Or we could meet in seymour at a buddys house and shoot them there.

We've put about 1200 rounds through my dad's CW9 with 1 FTF directly attributable to a failure to listen on his part - don't ride the slide! It is his little gun for the rare situation his XD just won't make it (walking in sweats). The long DA trigger is very similar to a good revolver.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Also look at a CZ RAMI 2075. I know its out of your intended price range, but buying a quality gun will save you headaches later.

Edited by StreetWK05
Guest tennred

I got the XD9mm sub compact,it is accurate,dependable, and fun to shoot.Recommend it with no problems, except get a good holster.The plastic one that comes with it, I didnt, like for carrying.