Compact/Sub-Compact Options?

Bubbatn

I am in the market for my first gun. I am specifically looking for something in either a Compact or Sub-Compact. I have my eye on a Taurus PT111 imparticular, but am willing to check out others if I could find a good deal on one used. I am wanting to stay under 400 dollars, thus saying "used" on other brands. A couple other guns I might consider would be a Glock 26 or Springfield XDsc. Looking for something in a 9mm preferably, but might consider a .380 or .40 if I found the right deal. I was hoping you guys might lend me a few suggestions on if there are any other options in this size/caliber range I might want to check out? If anyone does, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I'd recommend not going with the Taurus and either get a Glock or Springfield XD. I've owned a PT140 and it was a great gun, never had any issues with it. But I continue to read and hear about poor customer service in dealing with Taurus, particularly the long wait times if you have to ship them your gun.

Since this will be your first gun, you might want to get something that'll be an all around good gun, vs getting the sub-compact G26 right off the bat. I'd get a Glock 19, that way you have a great carry gun that conceals well, and also have the full size grip so it could be used for home defense and general target shooting (not that you can't do either of those things with a sub-compact).

Also look into the Smith & Wesson M&P line, those are great guns and have been getting a lot more of my attention these days.

What specifically are you going to be doing with this gun? Concealed carry, home defense, etc? I recommend going to a few shops and actually handling several different makes and models. You need to make sure you feel comfortable with the gun more than what someone my recommend. What's good for the gander isn't necessarily good for the goose...

Bubba,

In that price range, I'd have to submit the XDsc line as well, if you can find one used. They're great shooters, and there's plenty of TGO members who can provide testimonials to that effect.

Otherwise, Glock, Glock, Glock. At $400, they're the best-pedigreed weapon available, with the best customer service, an army of certified armorers, and relatively affordable accessories i.e. lights, lasers, etc. (MUST have a holster with one, this is not an option or accessory, but a necessity). The "Safe Carry" system only works if you carry safely. See Burress, Plaxico.

Smith M&Ps are loved by their owners, as are the Sig 229 and 239, but they're going to go for more than the $400 ceiling I think? If I'm wrong, look to the following posts that correct me momentarily). I'd suggest that if you're going to entrust your life to a firearm, consider saving a little more and open your options up if you don't like what you can get for $400.

One last point: if this weapon is for home defense or carry, night sights are a must, so budget accordingly.

My >2 cents,

StPatrick

I own several Taurus pistols, SA xd9sc, and a g22( not sub or sc) and don't think any would be a bad or wrong choice. My personal pick would be the xd9sc. Probably the highest cost of your choices. It's a good shoooter, accurate concealable for carry, and fun to shoot as well. No esperience with glock subs, but you know the reputation; and if the g22 is any indication; a compact glock should be great. But don't let a Taurus go by if you feel comfortable with it. I've had three Millinium pistols and several revolvers and haven't regreted any of them. Well, one of them. A 2" barrel 45LC. A real Handfull to shoot.

Anyway, good luck.

Just get the glock. They're not praised universally because everybody is crazy... A 26 or 19 or even 17 will be affordable to shoot and learn a lot with and serve you well and be worth almost what you paid if you change your mind and want to try something else down the road, no other choice for the money can boast that. Honestly, you may never need to get another gun.

Don't kid yourself, you'll end up getting one eventually at some point anyway, wish I'd started out with a glock, would've saved me a lot!

Guest JHatmaker
I have a SW990L sub compact 9mm thats an excellent shooter if your interested...it would be $450 with 2 mags, box, and of course the gun...i bought it new...just pm me.

Easy there Magic, you know better than to try and sell a gun outside of the Trading Post....:screwy:;)

Next time keep it within PMs, mmmkay? Greeeeat....

lumbergh-2.jpg

Forgot to mention... If you think finding the gun is hard to choose, wait until you start your holster search... I recommend dedicating a shoebox now unless you're really careful... :screwy:

Guess if you're gona decide between the Taurus, Glock or XD, you need to hit a local gun shop and hold each one in your hands and check out the ballance fit and feel of each. Nothing wrong with any of them but you need to check them out for yourself....:screwy:

BTW....can't let OhShoot and the XD's have all the fun......

SKS023.jpg

Thanks alot guys!

Do any of you happen to know anywhere that I might get my hands on some of these suggestions? I have looked at the Taurus', but haven't looked at the XD's or Glocks yet. Would really like to find a place that I could try them out. I have been to Coal Creek in knoxville, but they don't carry the PT111, and I think the only other small guns they had in their rental center was maybe a G26(although i'm not sure on that even).

I am actually going to be going back to Coal Creek next tuesday with my mom(she's wanting to shoot her .38). I just looked on their site again and it does say they have a XDc .40 and a glock 26, so i'm gonna see about trying those out as well. Their price is $7.50 for the range(on ladies night since i'll be with my mom), and $15 to rent any gun they got...plus ammo of course.

So I may get to try out those two out anyway.

Easy there Magic, you know better than to try and sell a gun outside of the Trading Post....:squint:;)

Next time keep it within PMs, mmmkay? Greeeeat....

lumbergh-2.jpg

What if I've got a NIB red Swingline stapler with a unopened box of 1000 medium duty 1/4" staples? I guess that's against rules too, correct?

Does anyone know where I might get my hands on a Taurus PT111 to shoot? I know Coal Creek doesn't have one, and I checked with Sevier Indoor Range and they don't have one either.

I just called a local place that can order me a new Millenium Pro PT111 for $375, and I am seriously thinking about looking into it. Although I would really like to be able to shoot one first, as i've never even shot a handgun myself.

What specifically are you going to be doing with this gun? Concealed carry, home defense, etc? I recommend going to a few shops and actually handling several different makes and models. You need to make sure you feel comfortable with the gun more than what someone my recommend. What's good for the gander isn't necessarily good for the goose...

What he said !

Although I would really like to be able to shoot one first, as i've never even shot a handgun myself.

I'd strongly recommend that you check out several different types of handguns (at the very least handle them for fit and ergonomics, but preferably shoot them) rather than settling on one particular gun based on looks or someone else's preference.

Also, for brand new handgunners, I recommend getting yourself some quality, professional handgun instruction before purchasing. Be a more informed buyer. :tinfoil:

Does anyone know where I might get my hands on a Taurus PT111 to shoot?

Sure, there are whole bunch of them at Taurus in the customer service department waiting to be repaired or replaced that were sent in by guys who unfortunately got one of the MANY lemons they put out.:tinfoil:

Skip the Taurus or chances are you'll soon be looking for your second gun...

I'd strongly recommend that you check out several different types of handguns (at the very least handle them for fit and ergonomics, but preferably shoot them) rather than settling on one particular gun based on looks or someone else's preference.

I have looked/felt of several different guns in my price range. I would rather buy a new gun myself rather than used, and would also rather purchase locally if I can get a descent deal.

I have handled these guns(pt111) and I like the feel of them. I have handled a glock(not positive, but i'm pretty sure it was the g26) and I didn't like that thick grip on it(I have small hands). I have looked at the Taurus 709, which I like, but think I prefer the pt111 to it. Also looked at a Kel Tec P11, which was descent, but still prefer the pt111. As well as a few others at my local gunshop.

Problem with firing these guns, is that there isn't anywhere that seems to carry this gun for a rental. I don't really have anyone close to me thats really into guns either that may have anything that i'd like.

Also, If I do get a gun, Definetly the first thing I will do is look into taking a safety course of some kind. I'm not the daring "learn myself" kind of guy when it comes to guns...haha.

I appreciate the input though. :tinfoil:

If you have smaller hands, and a Glock feels too big, an M&p with the small backstrap installed is your best bet...

Do yourself a favor and check around all over the popular gun forums out there for info on Taurus', you'll quickly find that quite a high percentage of Taurus buyers/owners are new to guns and didn't know any better, how way too many have had issues, and also the fact that you almost never find an example of somebody trading a Glock, M&P, or XD for one, and LOTS trying to trade their Taurus' for something better, like a Glock, M&P, or XD...

In general, many including myself will not recommend a Taurus gun with the possible exception of their revolvers or their Beretta clones (which are actually produced on actual old original Beretta equipment).

Edited by CK1