Taurus 24/7 9mm Opinions

Guest Drewsett

Guest Drewsett

I was in Guns for America today (decided to stop in as they are the closest gun store to my home) and I was handling different guns just trying to decide what I want to get as a carry gun. I was originally thinking I wanted a small 38 special, but after handling the Taurus 24/7 I was immediately drawn to it. It just fits my big meaty paws so well...I also handled a Keltec PF9 while I was there, and even with the pinkie mag extension I couldn't get my pinkie on the gun.

Has anyone shot one of these? The owner let me field strip it and that was simple enough, so I am not concerned about maintenance difficulty, and it was only about 25 oz unloaded, so I'm not concerned about the weight of it either, I am however more concerned about FTF's and the like (the reason I wanted a wheelgun 38 to begin with).

Any insight would be helpful...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest theoldguy

I have a 24/7 OSS full size in .40 and I love it. Put about 800 rds thru it and have not had a ftf yet. Just make sure you clean it very good and lube it before you fire it..if not some people have had ftf's but they went away after a very good cleaning.

Guest FiddleDog

That is one of the most comfortable guns that I have ever shot. Great price on them as well. I'm a big fan of the 24/7C in 9mm. They really need a good cleaning before shooting, or FTFs will happen. If you hit it liberally with some breakfree, you'll have zero worries.

I don't have a 24/7, but still have 2 Millinium Pro pistols in 40 and 45. Both are good quality, inexpensive handguns. I used both for carry and had no problems or complaints. My understanding is that the OSS version is more of an upscale piece, and based on my Taurus experiences, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it suits you.

Guest m4coyote

I purchased a new 9mm 24/7, and really loved the ergonomics and the trigger. The problem with mine was that it did not shoot to the point of aim. Using various ammunition, and shooting from a rest, it always printed groups about a foot low at 25 yards.

It was otherwise very nice, and I hated to see it go. I replaced it with a Glock 17.

Guest Drewsett
Go with the Ruger SR9. Much better.

I appreciate your opinion. I am aware that Ruger is a superior manufacturer than Taurus. I know Springfield, Glock, Sig, etc. are all superior. I also know that I will pay considerably more for one of those guns...much more than I can afford.

I would love a Ruger SR9 probably (I haven't handled one yet), but alas, I can't afford it.

Guest Drewsett
I appreciate your opinion. I am aware that Ruger is a superior manufacturer than Taurus. I know Springfield, Glock, Sig, etc. are all superior. I also know that I will pay considerably more for one of those guns...much more than I can afford.

I would love a Ruger SR9 probably (I haven't handled one yet), but alas, I can't afford it.

They're around $375 used, give or take... how much is the 24/7 running?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148987361

That's new...

I must remember that I in actuality apparently know very little. Thanks for the tip, I'll be checking one of those out...assuming I can find one used. I have not had the best of luck finding quality used handguns in a local shop...I really would like to keep my money local.

And no, I haven't been to Hero-Gear or Guns and Leather yet. :screwy:

I had a 24/7 pro 40 cal. It was reasonable and I never had a FTF. It was reliable and comfortable, however, I also had problems hitting the target. I'm not a great shot by any measure, but mine shot low, very low.

I traded it for a Taurus Tracker and it is the most accurate in the world. In both cases the Taurus is still very comfortable to carry, one I can shoot and one I can't. I just stay with my abilities.

I applaud you for keeping shopping local.

Guest Drewsett
mine shot low, very low

Now I may be letting my ignorance of handguns show again, but on a rifle, typically you can adjust the sights to fix this sort of thing...is that not possible on the Taurus or other handguns in general?

I just picked up a Taurus 24/7 in .40,going to the range this morning,when I get done I will let you know how it shoots.I bought it at a local dealer for $419.00 out the door including tax and background check.Heres a pic.

IMG_0892.jpg

Well after hitting the range with my new piece I can say its a keeper,50 rounds of Federal 180gr FMJ and 20 rounds of Winchester PDXI 180 JHP and not a failure in the bunch,although after shooting 1911,s the trigger pull is gonna take a little getting used to:D:D:D

Edited by krunchnik
range report