In case of emergency-remove bra...

strickj

50343554.jpg

Dr. Elena Bodnar, left, winner of the Ig Nobel Public Health Prize straps a portion of a bra she designed that converts into a pair of gas masks to the face of Wolfgang Ketterle, 2001 winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics, at the Ig Nobel prize awards ceremony on the campus of Harvard University, in Cambridge, Mass. (Steven Senne, Associated Press / October 1, 2009)

To you, that cute pink bra with black lace trim might conjure up thoughts of sexy lingerie. To Dr. Elena Bodnar, it represents a possible lifesaver.

Behold the bra-mask -- a bra that in an emergency can be turned into a pair of protective face masks.

Bodnar's invention the Ig Nobel Prize, given by the Annals of Improbable Research magazine for achievements that "first make people laugh and then make them think."

"The brilliance of my idea is that it's very simple," said Bodnar, of Chicago, who is the director of the nonprofit Trauma Risk Management Research Institute.

To use the bra mask, the wearer unsnaps the brassiere from under her shirt, which breaks it in two. Because each cup has hooks on its side, the strap is wrapped around the head and hooked to the cup, which goes over the mouth. Bodnar said an experienced user can don the mask in mere seconds.

The bra mask could be used during such disasters as fires, terrorist attacks, dust storms or a swine flu outbreak, Bodnar said. Indeed, she first thought up the idea while treating victims of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster as a medical university graduate in her native Ukraine.

Bodnar is now pursuing commercialization of her bra mask. She hopes all women will eventually have one.

What about the men?

As Bodnar noted in her Oct.1 acceptance speech at Harvard University, "Isn't it wonderful that women have two breasts, not just one? We can save not only our own lives, but also a man of our choice next to us."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/fashion/bal-fash-bra1106,0,3756313.story

Is that gas I smell? :D

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave
Men dont wear bras (well some dont). Will they make a pair of boxers men could wear on there heads?

:screwy:...you obviously don't know about the MAN-zier and the BRO....;)

Men dont wear bras (well some dont). Will they make a pair of boxers men could wear on there heads?

Even though I'm quite hygienic, I'm still a man, and I think putting my boxers over my face could potentially be worse than any looming NBC threat.

Guys, seems yall are unaware of this,but women have two boobs which require two cups per bra.

Thus giving her one mask,and you one mask....

In further news, I'm heading out in a few minutes to do some "practice drills" (AKA-wet' run) incase of another terrorist attack.

Will report back! :tinfoil:

Edited by strickj
Guest mustangdave
Guys, seems yall are unaware of this,but women have two boobs which require two cups per bra.

Thus giving her one mask,and you one mask....

In further news, I'm heading out in a few minutes to do some "practice drills" (AKA-wet' run) incase of another terrorist attack :tinfoil:

You SIR are my HERO...practice DRILLS:D;)