Venison Jerky

Made 6lbs of jerky yesterday. A couple of years ago I got a Jerky Shooter and started making my jerky with ground meat.

kitpic.jpg

It is really easy and makes great jerky. I use a dry seasoning called Backwoods Original from LEM.

327_2.jpg

The packet I use is supposed to season 4lbs of meat. I use one packet to 3 lbs to give it a little extra flavor.

Who else here uses ground meat for their Jerky? What recipes do you use?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never used ground meat, but my recipe has always been Dale's, Worcestershire, Cavender's, 57, and a shot of liquid smoke. After all the mad cow and CWD came out, I started lightly browning all my meat before dehydrating it. I was afraid it would ruin it, but it's fine after two days in the fridge. Stew chunks have always worked well for me. I'm anal about cutting out all fat and grissle, though.

Guest jackdm3
I've never used ground meat, but my recipe has always been Dale's, Worcestershire, Cavender's, 57, and a shot of liquid smoke. After all the mad cow and CWD came out, I started lightly browning all my meat before dehydrating it. I was afraid it would ruin it, but it's fine after two days in the fridge. Stew chunks have always worked well for me. I'm anal about cutting out all fat and grissle, though.

I'm totally with you, there. I just want to go straight to munching and no fussing. We're looking for the first kill on my father-in-law's land. There's plenty of deer, but usually no time to dress 'em before we go somewhere.

I'm gonna get wit you about jerky when we kill. I've never tried it.

I use ground meat for jerky and a jerky shooter. I have used the packs of dry mix and I have made my own dry mix with a little salt and some lemon pepper, garlic powder, stake season, Mrs. dash, brown sugar and even used some powder bar-b-q stuff made to season fried potatoes. I tried to use a wet mix but it does not work with the jerky shooter.

Yea I just ordered one of these to try myself. Keep those ideas coming because I plan on coming up with a good mix myself. The closer you guys can get me the less I have to practice.:drunk:

The wife might even think I did something right for a change.:2cents:

Yea right:biglol:

I cut up roast and the use High Moutain seasonings very easy to do and great taste.

Me too. Usually I debone a ham and section out the muscle groups. I put it in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze it. Then I let it thaw just a little. I slice it on a cheap electric meat saw from Harbor Freight. It slices a lot easier when it is about half frozen.

I mix the High Mountain "Hickory" and "Sweet and Spicy" flavors half/half and cook in the oven on Jerky screens. It is awesome! I made 6 pounds off the last deer we cleaned and it didn't last a week.

Guest jackdm3

Ya'll keep talking about Liquid Smoke. What does it do for the meat, create a fake smoked process or flavor? Is it harmless as far as artificial ingredients? Is it natural?

Ya'll keep talking about Liquid Smoke. What does it do for the meat, create a fake smoked process or flavor? Is it harmless as far as artificial ingredients? Is it natural?

Yes it creates a "smokey" flavor...not sure about the "natural" part...

I use it in a lot of recipes, but, a LITTLE goes a LONG way....very very strong stuff.....

I slice up a back leg for jerky. I also use high mountain seasoning. On another note, I usually take one hind quarter and cure it into a "Ham". Backstraps (loins), get cut into chops and one gets cured into "Canadian Bacon". I have never used a "jerky shooter" and ground meat to make jerky before. I just don't care for that type of jerky.

• 11 months later...
Me too. Usually I debone a ham and section out the muscle groups. I put it in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze it. Then I let it thaw just a little. I slice it on a cheap electric meat saw from Harbor Freight. It slices a lot easier when it is about half frozen.

I mix the High Mountain "Hickory" and "Sweet and Spicy" flavors half/half and cook in the oven on Jerky screens. It is awesome! I made 6 pounds off the last deer we cleaned and it didn't last a week.

It's that time of year again...

I made a big batch of Venison Jerky this week from the doe that my daughter took on the youth hunt. After several batches last year, I think I have finally found a recipe that I am really happy with. I made a total of seven pounds of meat into Jerky this week, but I have based my calculation on 4 pounds at a time.

I used the Hi Mountain Jerky Cure, Hickory and Sweet & Spicy mixed 50/50. I followed the directions for whole muscle meat jerky and just mixed the two seasoning packets together before measuring out the seasoning to cure mix. After following the recommended seasoning/cure mixture for 4 pounds of meat, I added 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper, 1/2 tablespoon of Red Pepper Flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper. I coated the meat and cured as recommended. The recommended cook time is not enough in my opinion. Hi Mountain recommends 1 to 1.25 hours at 200 degrees with the oven door cracked. I have found that it takes closer to 2.5 hours for me to get the right texture. It may have to do with me stacking two full jerky screens. I really need to pick up one more screen and space the meat out more. I am hoping my wife is taking my hints for a new smoker for Chirstmas, so I can do some jerky in the smoker.

Another thing I do is pack the jerky in small ziploc bags and freeze the jerky after it cools. That way it keeps forever and I can just pull a bag out when I am ready for some.

Hey whiskey, when we make it around here you don't have time to freeze it. The kids and I eat it so fast, kind of like Lays potato chips. Nobody can eat just one.

I know what you mean. That's why I try to finish mine late at night and get it frozen before everyone gets at it. Seems to last a little longer if they have to wait for it to thaw. :popcorn: