Gen 4 Glocks??? Vendors? Experts?

JReedEsq

I've been seeing rumors online that 4th Generation Glocks are coming out in January. One source in particular says they will have new finishes, new sight options, and interchangable backstraps similiar to the M&P guns. Any vendors or anyone else out there have any inside information on this? I'm considering buying a 26 soon and I'm wondering if there really will be big changes.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
At least you are not addicted to 1911's as well, trust me that really gets expensive :poop:

Yeah, I went from a GI Champion to two Kimbers and a Nighthawk in about 18 months.

Any idea what the price point will be, and how long until they're actually on the shelves?

Dont know about price yet, but I would say they will be released at the SHOT Show and it starts on Jan. 19th. So they will probably ship around a month after that if I was guessing.

I think this release will be a little different that the last few "new" products from Glock. The only new stuff has been the SF models and the RTF. They were not really the most exciting thing in the world. The Glock reps. at SHOT didnt even seem exicted about either one. But the new ones I think everyone is going to want and it is going to take time for Glock to ship enough of them to be seen regularly in gunshops.

Edited by Jasongar8
Guest Todd@CIS
RTF2 grip texture, reversible mag release, interchangeable back straps and standard slide serrations have been confirmed. Have not heard anything about finish options (doubtful) or sight options (doubtful).

+1

RTF, yes.

Interchangeable backstrap, yes.

Standard slide serrations, yes.

Reversible (not ambi) mag release, yes.

If I could make changes to the current Gen 3 guns, these are exactly the changes I would make so I'm pretty interested in Gen 4 at this point.

Glock will be offering a finish other than Tenifer. Currently, all Tenifer is applied outside of the US. Glock wants to start making complete pistols in the US, so they have to use something other than the Tenifer (EPA regs).

*My opinion only...I suspect the new finish will be similar to Melonite (I would be cool with this).

My source is like the #4 guy at Glock US...when I talked to him a couple of months ago.

Edited by Todd@CIS
+1

RTF, yes.

Interchangeable backstrap, yes.

Standard slide serrations, yes.

Reversible (not ambi) mag release, yes.

Glock will be offering a finish other than Tennifer. Currently, all Tennifer is applied outside of the US. Glock wants to start making complete pistols in the US, so they have to use something other than the Tennifer (EPA regs).

*My opinion only...I suspect the new finish will be similar to Melonite.

My source is like the #4 guy at Glock US.

I hope not, tennifer is much more durable. Guess we'll have to see...

I hope Glock doesn't drop the ball with all the changes.

Guest Todd@CIS
Cool, generation 3 used prices should be dropping right about the time I'll be looking to buy. :D

Yep. The market will probably have a ton of used Glocks from those wanting to jump on the Gen 4 bandwagon.

My Gen 3 might be one of them.

Guest Todd@CIS

The Tenifer itself isn't what is slippery. The finish that Glock puts over the top of it is. Gen 1 and some Gen 2 guns didn't have that slippery-ass, pretty finish. I wish they would go back to the less pretty, more grippy finish.

Correct me if I am wrong (simply trying to get my ducks in a row), but isn't the tenifer process the hardening process? Glock does this because they can used softer steel that is easier on machine tools...the tenifer is the patented hardening process that hardens...I always thought the "black" finish on my glock was Maganese phosphate parkerizing.

Also...From what I understood the slides were done outside the US because the nitrification salts were too expensive to dispose of in any quantity here.

FWIW...was talking to the folks at GT's and they also confirmed the features mentioned above.

Guest Todd@CIS
Correct me if I am wrong (simply trying to get my ducks in a row), but isn't the tenifer process the hardening process? Glock does this because they can used softer steel that is easier on machine tools...the tenifer is the patented hardening process that hardens

No. Tenifer itself is very hard, but it doesn't harden the slide steel beneath the finish, AFAIK.

Also...From what I understood the slides were done outside the US because the nitrification salts were too expensive to dispose of in any quantity here.

Cyanide is left over from the Tenifer process...EPA says "no-go" to that.

:D

Im sure any of them would be happy to take your money.

Im sure that Glock will do what it takes to fill the dealer pipleline as efficiently and quickly as possible.

If the guns are available from Glock, they will be available to you.

(in other words, don't expect the cluster %@)(&*# you saw with guns like the P238 and LCP)

• Administrator
I just want to know which vendor will take my pre-payment on a gen 4 9mm before they come out so I can cut down my time waiting to get one?

Why would you want to pay for something you've never even seen before? I want to at least see pictures and read an in-depth review or two before I sink my money into a gun that hasn't been made available yet. I seriously doubt there will be a huge shortage of 4th Gen Glocks since Glock GmbH doesn't normally operate like that.

For what it's worth, however... I have read some reviews by people who have seen pre-production models and they were all very complimentary save for some negative points regarding a dimple in the grip area and how it affects the feel of the gun in your hand when you use the largest backstrap.

I will be granting audiences to all those who wish to sell me a gently pre-owned Generation 3 Model 19. :P

I've got the 19 is hard to fault as is. I'll be keeping mine. If I could find a good used 26 with night sights I'd probably stick with Gen 3 for a subcompact too. The big news to me is the interchangable backstraps and I feel that will make the most difference on the full-size guns. All the 9mms fit my hand well already so it's the new 21 that I can't wait to see.