Opinions need: Taurus .410 Judge-

Guest russman37801

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Knox489

I love mine. They're great for self defense in close quarters. Which is the only distance you can justify a self defense shooting anyway. The only downside is they're not +P rated so you miss out on all the HOT +P .45 colt loads like Buffalo Bore. So it doesn't make a good "woods gun".But with the new four pellet OOO buckshot rounds available it's an excellent choice for two legged predators.

I considered a Judge, but went with a Bond Arms Snake Slayer instead, partially because it will be easier to conceal, but mostly just because I thought it was so cool. I was surprised at how easy it was to shoot - both .410 and .45. I like the idea of carrying a double barrelled shotgun in my pocket.

I'm putting a Judge back on my 'wish-list' for a 'nightstand' gun.

I considered the Judge also but like JPS, went with the Bond Arms Snake Slayer. It is very portable and quite accurate with the .45 lc. I also like the fact that I can put my .45acp barrel on it and it becomes a mid-range man stopper. Plus it just looks cool as balls! One down side to the Judge is you can only shoot 2.5" shotshells.

Guest JustMyLuck

I have a Judge, and I like it. I mainly use it for a snake gun around my property and carry it while walking in the woods. While I would use it for self defense if it came down to it, it wouldn't be my 1st choice.

JML

Guest JustMyLuck

While I agree with some of the comments on the video, I think the guy is more of an Armchair Expert ..... How are you going to review a gun that you haven't even shot ??

JML

Guest Crunchman

Bought a Judge two years ago. It's become my wife's desk and car gun. Due to breaking her right upper arm in 3 places with the resulting plates, pins, and screws, she has limited movement in that she can't raise her arm far enough to use the sights. At room distances, she can tear the center out of a man size target with her Judge, using the 2 1/2 inch 000 buck shells with the gun held about chest high. Recoil is light enough that it doesn't hurt her hands or shoulder.

Guest HVAC Worker

Thanks for the review,he had several good points and thoughts.While I am not in the market for one,I like the idea of it being a snake gun for deadly snakes.

I have 7 3" judge and 1 21/2". I would not second guess the 3" for self defense for 1 second with 000 buck at 3 or 4 yards it does serious damage.you don't have to worry about over penetration and striking a friendly in the next room.

Guest BJEC1248

I shot my brother's just yesterday. his has a 6" barrel, so it's not for concealed carry, he bought it just for kicks. I shot it w/.45 LC & it shot those very well. he says that out to about 7 yards the buckshot patterns very well, but beyond that it gets pretty wild. I sure would not want to stop 5 45LCs with my tender body, they make a lot of noise & a big hole.

Guest Micromancer

If you get a long enough barrel you can use it as a walking stick.

longjudge.jpg

To my knowledge, there are no redeeming self defense properties for this gun. It's a bad idea that breeds patently dangerous habits. Please, please research this gun if you intend to carry it as your sole CCW piece.

I haven't posted in a while so I will include this as well.

What I "know" I pick up from reading forums. I have no direct experience with a Judge. I do however have direct contact with people that know their self defense. This is why I encourage you to research it first. I am not saying there is anything wrong with you for considering it - it DOES LOOK like it would be a great idea.

I am also a bit of an extremist when it comes to protecting myself. I started out thinking it was OK to pocket carry a Phoenix Arms .25 as my only gun. It was good enough. You don't want good enough. You want absolute overkill. Zero failure tolerance. Enough capacity to readily stop a threat. Ability to easily and quickly be reloaded because you can't hit things under duress.

While a Judge may go bang every time, I just can not think that an underpowered .410 round is going to be effective at stopping a threat. Shooting .45LC defeats the purpose of it even being a shotgun. If you intend on carrying with .45LC, get an easier to wield and reload .357 snubnose.

Read up - preferably before you buy. And certainly before your life depends on it.

Guest FiddleDog

Federal has a shot shell that was designed with this firearm in mind. it's a 2 3/4 000buck (4 pellet). I understand that the pellets are copper plate, and resist deformation. I've heard that the shot pattern is around a foot at 20 feet. They also have #4, but I'm not sure I would even consider that for SD.

If you get a long enough barrel you can use it as a walking stick.

longjudge.jpg

To my knowledge, there are no redeeming self defense properties for this gun. It's a bad idea that breeds patently dangerous habits. Please, please research this gun if you intend to carry it as your sole CCW piece.

I haven't posted in a while so I will include this as well.

What I "know" I pick up from reading forums. I have no direct experience with a Judge. I do however have direct contact with people that know their self defense. This is why I encourage you to research it first. I am not saying there is anything wrong with you for considering it - it DOES LOOK like it would be a great idea.

I am also a bit of an extremist when it comes to protecting myself. I started out thinking it was OK to pocket carry a Phoenix Arms .25 as my only gun. It was good enough. You don't want good enough. You want absolute overkill. Zero failure tolerance. Enough capacity to readily stop a threat. Ability to easily and quickly be reloaded because you can't hit things under duress.

While a Judge may go bang every time, I just can not think that an underpowered .410 round is going to be effective at stopping a threat. Shooting .45LC defeats the purpose of it even being a shotgun. If you intend on carrying with .45LC, get an easier to wield and reload .357 snubnose.

Read up - preferably before you buy. And certainly before your life depends on it.

Zero failure tolerance. A well maintained .38 Spl or .357 Magnum revolver. No gimmicks, just rock solid dependability.

This guy is a Jackass!!

"I WOULD RATHER MAKE A HEAD SHOT AT 25 YARDS"

I think anything over 25 FEET is going to be hard to sell as self defense.

This gun at 7 or 8 yards is deadly!!

If a person enters my front door and I am in fear for the life of myself or a family member I think I could cut a man in half with 5 rounds of 3" 000 buck.With out wondering who or what I hit accross the street.

Tomorrow I will see what this round will do to a 2x12.