Handgun Reccomendations?

Guest ecmontgomery

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns are like cars...and trucks..and motorcycles. It boils down to personal preference and proficiency. I prefer 45's from Sig, Colt, Kimber and Glock but have carried/shot almost everything else to arrive at that conclusion.

Buy quality firearms and then practice...then practice....and practice some more.

Sounds like great advice. Can you reccomend a range in East TN? I am north of Chatt.

There's a really good indoor range right next to Bowater. I live in Cleveland BTW. It is called Fugate Firearms. They are really nice and they rent used guns to try out. It is a family owned place and they are very helpfull. Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...
Guest yzfMrLee
My first and only gun is the SW9VE (S&W). Didn't take much to figure the thing out and it's been good and reliable.

Has anyone actually fired the Kel-Tec PF9 yet? How did it handle? I'm drawn to it, but would like an opinion from an owner or someone thats used one before.

I have a PF-9. It's a great gun to carry, but it's got a good bit of felt recoil. It's pretty fun to shoot for about 15 rounds or so. Then your done. I really like my PF-9, and I practice with it enough to be comfortable with it, but my Glock 19 is still my favorite. If you wanna know more details about it let me know. Don't wanna hijack this thread too badly. ;)

Guest yzfMrLee

On a more relevant note. (To the op at least) There's nothing I'd want to replace my G19 with. Like other have said though, it's a bit subjective. I do have to say, for ease of taking down, reliability, aftermarket support, etc. It's tough to beat a Glock. It ain't pretty, but it's a great design.

Guest 10mm4me

Ther best all purpose handgun is and always will be the Glock 19. It can be had for under $500 and less for a nice used one. The mags are some of the cheapest out there and won't deform because they are coated in polymer. The 9mm is a NATO round and available everywhere and cheap. The G19 is lightweight, EXTREMELY reliable, accurate, easy to operate, maintain, and repair (although you will probably never need to). If I could only have one, it would be a G19.

I would agree that you should try several guns out. Also the 9mm is a great choice to start with, cheaper to buy, less recoil and a lot fun at the range. I would add a additional gun selection to look at, the Beretta Px4 Storm. I have two and they shoot great, easy to care for and won't cost you a arm and a leg. I have a 9mm and a 45ACP, both are great guns.