PMR-30 Kel-Tec .22 mag

JeffsSig

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw...in the same barrel length 5.7x28 does around 1800fps :lol:

Funny thing was when Dunndw was there when it came in, we couldn't figure out the caliber since it was unmarked and the paperwork Kel-Tec sent with it didn't say either. Only the name and serial #1 (not the actual serial #) was on it. We measured the magazine length with a set of calipers and it measured out almost to spec for a 5.7 round.

I had to contact Oleg to find out what it was supposed to be chambered in since I couldn't get the company to answer their phones. :hyper:

• Admin Team

You know...I bad mouth Kel-Tec all the time. In saying that, though I think my attitude about them is influenced more by a few of the Kel-Tec owners I've known over the years than their products themselves.

I always wanted one of the Gredel p-30's, but know it had A LOT of issues. This is basically the same concept. I may have to pick one up to play with. Maybe it'll get me to come around on my thinking on Kel-Tecs in general.

Guest earthworm

& if it shoots as good as it looks & feels it'll be a winner. I'm not crazy about the sights but I'm old-fashioned & prefer iron.OTOH you AIN'T gonna have trouble seeing these sights!-a nice touch for those of us with "mature" eyes.

Be nice if a .22 Long Rifle conversion was/will be available.

• 2 months later...

This gun is/was displayed at ShotShow(?) last week.

Wonder how Kel-Tec deals with recoil and slide movement. The AutoMag in 22 Mag used "dents" inside the chamber to keep the action locked up until pressure was down. The AutoMag is ammo sensitive...mild recoiling rounds won't work the action, making the gun somewhat of a bolt action.

From what I have been reading, it is a hybrid system. Let me find the quote.

11. How does the Hybrid Blowback/Locked breech system work?

- It may be difficult to explain without pictures, but the principle and mechanism is fairly simple. The barrel is allowed to float forward and backwards a small amount in the frame. There is no mechanical locking system in the gun itself. The locking mechanism actually comes from the cartridge case locking to the barrel during firing. If the pressure in the cartridge is high enough, the friction will cause the case to stick to the chamber of the barrel, and the barrel will recoil with the slide until the pressure drops, just like in a locked breech firearm. If the pressure is low, then the barrel stays still (or barely moves), and the slide recoils just like in a blowback firearm.

This Hybrid system allows for the use of a large range of various power ammo, and does not require chamber friction reducing methods like a fluted or ported chamber seen on other .22magnum autoloaders.