Day Trip and Back to Knoxville

I live in the Nashville area and was given 4 tickets and parking pass to take my family to see the University of Tennessee play Vanderbilt. Since this trip is roughly 180 miles each direction I would ideally like to carry as I do everyday in case of car failure or whatever little surprises arise. However since I am driving straight up to knoxville parking on campus and driving back after the game is there anyway for me to carry legally up for the trip leave it my car during the game and drive back with my handgun? The way I read the law there is not since I will be bring on campus. Would love some guidance on this question.

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the Nashville area and was given 4 tickets and parking pass to take my family to see the University of Tennessee play Vanderbilt. Since this trip is roughly 180 miles each direction I would ideally like to carry as I do everyday in case of car failure or whatever little surprises arise. However since I am driving straight up to knoxville parking on campus and driving back after the game is there anyway for me to carry legally up for the trip leave it my car during the game and drive back with my handgun? The way I read the law there is not since I will be bring on campus. Would love some guidance on this question.

Thanks.

There is parking along the "Strip" on Cumberland Ave, gas stations and other businesses park cars. That will not be on school property. These fill pretty quick so be sure to get there a few hours early.

It says he already has a parking pass, I'm assuming for on campus. I'm going up to the game this weekend too and have the same problem. PM inbound.
If you want to be legal then don't use the parking pass.
I have never seen any car searchs done at any prior games. I know what I would do, but you will have to make your own decision.
If you don't give them a reason then you won't have a problem. Is it worth the risk? I've been to games up there for years and never had a reason to need a weapon. I started going regularly in '77 but that was a very different day and time.

Guys, it's perfectly legal for a non-student adult to have a pistol stored in car on school property as long as it is not intent to go armed, meaning unloaded and ammo not readily available. Anybody, HCP holder or not.

So unload the weapon and separate ammo before you get on school property and stash it in car.

39-17-1309

©(1)

It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

This differs from (:dropjaw:(1) which has same wording with addition of "intent to go armed". And there is no exception for possession in car under that part.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I believe OhShoot is right.

This would seem to be even backed up in the AG opinion about carry in parks where school activities were going on. The AG said the HCP holder could store their weapon in their car during such events and he cited 39-17-1309© when he said that.