Experience with Compact P220?

Guest jcoyle6

Guest jcoyle6

I have the Sig 220R which I love. But I want something smaller I can really conceal. Being a lefty I am drawn to Sigs due to the lack of manual safety and DA/ SA (still waiting for a double action 1911 compact :D). I'd prefer 45 but am willing to compromise 9mm or 38. Has anyone shot the Sig Compact 220?

:D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest someguy12341

Just saw your post, as I just joined tonight...

The Sig P220 Compact is one of my two daily carry guns, depending on the situation. I love it. The ergonomics of it are really well thought out, which is not a particular surprise with a Sig. I'm 5'10", 200lbs, and my hands are not overly huge - the gun is a perfect fit, but it still conceals well. Basically, they took about 3/4 inch off of both the slide length and the grip. Standard mag is 6 rounds instead of 8 (as the fullsize P220 holds), but any P220 mag will fit the gun, so you could carry fullsize P220 mags as your 'backup / SHTF' mags.

I ordered a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II the day I bought the gun in April of 2007... Got the holster about a month ago. They told me it'd be 20-24 weeks when I ordered it, so no surprise. Plus, I'd carried my USPc 40 in a VMII for several years, so I knew that was what I wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really impressed with my 220 Compact. I previously had a 245 and sold it in a moment of stupidity so the 220 Compact filled the void. I couldn't locate a model specific holster so I've been using a 229R holster that seems to work fine for now. The shorter grip is an advantage for concealment for me. I also have a 220R and I appreciate the ability to use full size mags in the Compact. I personally believe the Compact shoots as well as the fullsize with a pinch more recoil.

I'm a huge SIG fan. But I had a customer order a P220c and I had a chance to eyeball it. I didn't like it. They shortened the grip more than the slide and to me it looks unbalanced. I also don't like the exaggerated beaver tail. Maybe I'm just a purist or something but the gun didnt do anything for me.

It does get great reviews and obviously people who shoot them like them.

If I wanted compact I'd get the P239 in 9mm (I have one) or if I wanted more calibre, the same gun in .40.

The beavertail took some time getting used to. Once I warmed up to it actually feels good to the hand while shooting. The guns does look unbalanced considering the short grip. The 220 Carry has the same barrel length but the standard 220 grip and I think it looks more balanced. For me, the benefit of the 220 Compact is the fact of the shorter grip which allows a skinny guy like me to successfully conceal under a variety of conditons.

• Administrator
If it's anything like the obsolete P245, I wouldn't like the grip... and I doubt the beavertail would help that. But, I've never met a P220 that I didn't marvel at its quality and shootability... especially a particular P220 Carry SAO.

You could buy that one you know. :rofl:

You could buy that one you know. :lol:

I know, I know... I'm just trying to get away from DA/SA pistols, and pistols with manual safeties. Otherwise I'd still be carrying a 1911 or my P239.

For a long time after shooting yours, I contemplated a P220 Match SAO for the range and a P220 Carry SAS for daily use. I might eventually end up there, but I'm pretty content with my fantastic plastic .357sig guns at the moment. I don't want to swap carry guns too much, for fear of getting ribbed like GlocKing...:rofl: