Springfield,Rock Island or Taurus?

Guest JonB

i've been looking at some 1911's lately trying to decide what would be a good choice for my first 1911. i have shot a springfield and liked it, so thats what i'm leaning toward right now. my main question was the comparison between value and performance of the Rock Island and the Taurus 1911's. price wise there is not much difference so performance would be the main factor. anybody with experience with both of these your input would be appreciated. thanks in advance

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lean towards the Springfields myself. I have owned several of them and my current IDPA pistol is a SS Loaded model. I'm not knocking Taurus or RIA guns, but I have not shot them, but with Springfields reputation for great customer service and the fact that they build a solid pistol makes it a good choice. The folks on the 1911 forums seem to generally rate the RIA guns as a good entry level pistol if you don't find the answers you need here check that forum out.

I have a SA Operator and find it to be a great little shooter. With the commander size, it's light and comfortable, also very accurate. I find the 185 grain winchester seems to be the best range load for it. I don't have any experience with the RIA 1911 but it has a very good reputation for reliability and accuracy. As for the Taurus 1911, it also appears to be a good first .45. The price and features make it extremely attractive. Of the three, I believe any would be a good choice. If price isn't critical, I'd say Springfield, Taurus, then RIA. If it is, I personally would take the Taurus first. But that's my preference.

What's the purpose?

The Taurus was built as a "value race gun" with a couple features for that. It's priced well. I like how they shoot. You may hate the Heinie Straight-Eights, it's individual. You'll probably want to replace the ambi safety with a single-side-only, and replace the hammer with a standard, non-taurus-safety hammer.

The RIA and Springfield are more about the basics. They take the original idea and don't muck with it too much.

Springfield>RIA>Taurus would be my order of preference. RIA's are great for the money, but the fit and finish of the SA's are a bit better.

Never handled the SA,but have owned both the others.

Out of the RIA,and Taurus,I'd go RIA.

The Taurus is a very nice weapon for the money now,but there's just something about the RIA that Taurus doesn't have.

My recommendation would be buy the RIA,and build her up to mend your just desires :D

This is what was done to mine by the previous owner:

-Thin combat Alumagrips ( These grips are effin awesome BTW! )

-Pearce finger grooves

-Fusion 3-dot sights

-Fusion adjustable trigger

-Wolff spring

-Ed Brown hardcore slide stop

00.jpg

I would post a better pic of it,but I'm afraid it has a little more 'character' now that I've been carrying it so much :popcorn:

To further confuse the selection process, I'd say check out the Para Ordnance GI Expert.

In the last 25 yrs. I owned or shot all most all brands of 1911's the Para GI is the best 1911 you can buy FOR the money. It's made in there new plant in NC. It has everything you need, nothing you don't and the one I shot was "sweet".Really ,it's a better buy than the SA Mil-Spec, and that's saying a lot.:popcorn: JMO

In the last 25 yrs. I owned or shot all most all brands of 1911's the Para GI is the best 1911 you can buy FOR the money. It's made in there new plant in NC. It has everything you need, nothing you don't and the one I shot was "sweet".Really ,it's a better buy than the SA Mil-Spec, and that's saying a lot.;) JMO

I will second this: I recently convinced a friend to purchase one (was also looking at the Taurus 1911), and it's a wonderful little shooter. Reliable, decently accurate, and bears several resemblances to my more expensice Limited SSP. It has a tight fit, doesn't "rattle" (unlike the Taurus), and some nice things that make it a fun shooter in general.

thanks for all the comments and suggestions. i have seen the para's but might have to take a closer look.

c.a.s.

it's going to be a general purpose shooter and possibly an occasional carry weapon when i get my permit.

strickj

that is a sweet lookin RIA:up:

thanks for all the comments and suggestions. i have seen the para's but might have to take a closer look.

c.a.s.

it's going to be a general purpose shooter and possibly an occasional carry weapon when i get my permit.

strickj

that is a sweet lookin RIA:up:

You should probably go for the RIA then. Or the Springfield.