"Monarch" ammo? Any Good?

Academy Sports is carring some ammo called "Monarch". I'm unfamilar with it. Pretty cheap prices, and they had it for a little of eveything... rifles and pistols.

Has anyone has ever used any of it? Is it any good?

I'm thinking of getting some .223 FMJ to run through my AR. Just wondering if anyone had any problems with this stuff.

The .223 stuff was pretty cheap... about 5 bucks for a box of 20.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with the 2 boxes of it I used in an AR... it was dirty though, even more so than Wolf.

Good to hear you didn't have any problems. The price is real tempting.

Hate to hear that's dirty, but I guess you get what you pay for.

:D Sounds like I need to buy a box and run a test mag through it.

My guess is that it would take more than just a few mags worth to see any problems... most likely any issues are caused by fouling (because it is very dirty).

It's a pretty good rule of thumb that the cheaper the ammo you shoot, the more often you should clean the gun. ARs especially are suceptible to dirty ammo due to their gas system being vented directly into the bolt and breech. I'd buy it again... but I'd sure clean the gun twice as much.

Also, dirty mags cause problems as well... and AR mags get blasted with gas every shot. Clean them too.

My guess is that it would take more than just a few mags worth to see any problems... most likely any issues are caused by fouling (because it is very dirty).

It's a pretty good rule of thumb that the cheaper the ammo you shoot, the more often you should clean the gun. ARs especially are suceptible to dirty ammo due to their gas system being vented directly into the bolt and breech. I'd buy it again... but I'd sure clean the gun twice as much.

Also, dirty mags cause problems as well... and AR mags get blasted with gas every shot. Clean them too.

I bought some Norinco ammo ages ago, and mine didn't like it too well.

After about 100 rds it started hanging up. Did a quick clean and went right back to shooting. But i was amazed at how dirty the thing was. Up untill that point I was shooting mainly my own reloads and commerical stuff.

Never thought about giving the mags a once over while cleaning though.

Guest Todd@CIS

My only experience with Monarch is in 7.62x39mm.

It's made by the Barnaul plant in Russia...which puts out some of the best 7.62x39mm ammo Russia makes. I'll take it over Wolf (made at the TULA plant) any day.

It simply would not feed properly in my AR. I also had major problems with Wolf. My gun is too freakin' picky, and will not run right with anything but good brass cases. Even the Monarch brass stuff caused problems.

My friend's AR shoots all that stuff just fine, and our guns are nearly identical. (We both built our out of DoubleStar kits.)

Guest Mugster

Down at the walmart off highway 96 in murfreesboro you can buy a 200 pack of federal power shok in .223 for $58 bucks + tax and ammo fee. The bullet is a 50gr fbhp, it is quite accurate, nice and hot (chrono's out to 3200ish fps in a 20" barrel) and the bullet wouldn't be an end of the world choice for hunting small game like groundhogs or even home defense. It is also cannelured and crimped, giving you a bit more of a safety factor for an autoloader. I've shot it into a phonebook stack and the bullet expands and then literally detonates...it ain't just a plinking round. It feels pretty close recoil wise to true M193 when you're shooting it, so you'd get the full effect of your ar whacking your nose pretty good with the charging handle and a nice loud report. :D

You'd be alot better off shooting that in your AR than something made in russia. I know its more expensive, but its your best bet by far for good safe ammo to shoot.

Guest Mugster

No, no, can't do that. Only super walmarts with a decent manager know to stock this stuff. The one off of highway 96 is the only one in middle tennesse that i know of that has it. They have everything in plinking ammo pretty much, as far as that goes.

You'll have to make a road trip i think.

I've got to go there this weekend anyway for food. I'll check to make sure they have it and report back. Or you could call.

I'll try the super wal-mart in Dickson. I have to travel

down there this weekend, or next. Come to think of it...

they "should" have it there. More rual, and I am guessing more shooters.

The lady at Wal-mart knows me as the .357 sig guy. LOL!!!

I think I'm the only one buying it there. ;P

Down at the walmart off highway 96 in murfreesboro you can buy a 200 pack of federal power shok in .223 for $58 bucks + tax and ammo fee. The bullet is a 50gr fbhp, it is quite accurate, nice and hot (chrono's out to 3200ish fps in a 20" barrel) and the bullet wouldn't be an end of the world choice for hunting small game like groundhogs or even home defense. It is also cannelured and crimped, giving you a bit more of a safety factor for an autoloader. I've shot it into a phonebook stack and the bullet expands and then literally detonates...it ain't just a plinking round. It feels pretty close recoil wise to true M193 when you're shooting it, so you'd get the full effect of your ar whacking your nose pretty good with the charging handle and a nice loud report. :D

You'd be alot better off shooting that in your AR than something made in russia. I know its more expensive, but its your best bet by far for good safe ammo to shoot.

I used to keep a handful of mags loaded with that very stuff, for the M4gery I had at one time... Not much penetration, but not quite a varmint load either. They do fragment reliably.

Use it all the time in my AR and not had a problem yet. I also use it in my AK with no problems (of course!) As said before the blue box is Barnaul (Cheaper, good stuff) the Green Box is Yugoslavian stuff and a little more expensive. In my experience it is not anymore dirtier than WWB.

The Wal-mart in Waverly had it 2 weeks ago, just down hwy.70 from Dickson

Guest Mugster

They def. have it at the walmart off of 96 and I-40. Box was covering up the price though. 4 packs on the floor and a pallet of the stuff in the back according to the counter guy. They have plenty of everything.

250 round umc packs:

9mm $40.74

.40 $56.84

.45 $65.76

blaser brass 50 pack:

.40 $9.97

.45 $11.97

They have wwb in most all calibers too couldn't see the prices, only priced this:

.45 acp 230gr personal protection, 50 pack, $23.58

umc 20 pack 55gr .223 $6.47

15 shots of 00 buck, 3" mag remington: $9.34

Guest Mugster
Yup! Went by there Saturday myself. They had a lot more ammo options

than the Franklin Wal-Mart. (Should have known that, huh!)

How much was it creeky?

Didn't see the price, but I saw the box. Had to lean over the counter a bit to see it. Didn't see anyone around. They have that island of a circle of counters and the ammo was on both sides. I missed it at first but as I circled around I spotted the box.

I also went by "The Sportsman Store" on the way out of Dickson. They didn't have any large packs, but did have some white boxes witha generic "Civilian marksman" type logo on it. 20 rd. boxes for about 6 bucks. No real .357 sig plinking rounds though.

What has spurred this is our congregation is having a shoot in a couple of weeks. One of our members (a police chief) hosts it and we set up a skeet area and have two places for pistols. (Targets, and pins.) I act as one of the range safety guys, so I end up not shooting much until most people leave. (We have a lot of people that don't shoot very often, or not at all.) After everyone leaves I can break out my AR and play a bit, so I don't need a bunch of ammo for it (right now anyway) so I may only grab a couple of 20 rd boxes of .223 and the rest all .357 sig.

I desperately need to start reloading .223 again. My kids are older now, and I am starting to get a little more time that I can invest in reloading again.

Thanks for the link "Molonlabetn". Winchester is a bit of a drive for me. But I do drive by there once or twice a year. I'll have to stop by there and take a look around at his shop.

I have been toying with the the idea of getting a 40 cal barrel to drop in to help out a little on the ammo costs of playing.

Thanks for the link "Molonlabetn". Winchester is a bit of a drive for me. But I do drive by there once or twice a year. I'll have to stop by there and take a look around at his shop.

I have been toying with the the idea of getting a 40 cal barrel to drop in to help out a little on the ammo costs of playing.

You might be able to get a 9mm barrel, as well... some barrel makers offer them to convert from .40/.357 to 9mm. That would be an even more effective way to cut costs. That, or a .22lr conversion if such a thing is available for your gun.

I'd snap up a .22 conversion for my XD in a heartbeat if someone made one.

For my HK Compact, I think I can only get a .40 cal Barrel.

(I could be wrong though.) I know it is all my inexperience and

that I just need to shoot more... but I have a hard time with good

double taps. I kind of hope that .40 cal would make it a bit easier

on the follow up shot. Been bouncing the idea around more and more

lately. (But I really can't do anything money wise till after Christmas

it seems. ;) )