Problem with primer insertion

Guest m&pc9

I have a lee pro 1000 that I bought off another member. It is working very good now I have all the kinks out of it. One problem I am having is that it will insert the primer in sideways about 5% of the time.

It works better when I clean the primer chute out but it always starts back within 100 rounds.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lee pro 1000 that I bought off another member. It is working very good now I have all the kinks out of it. One problem I am having is that it will insert the primer in sideways about 5% of the time.

It works better when I clean the primer chute out but it always starts back within 100 rounds.

Any suggestions?

Keep an eye on the chute and make sure it is full and keeping pressure on the primer that is on the plunger. If not sometimes the primer will not be centered on the plunger and therefore crush the primer in the pocket of flip it sideways.

I hope this helps. I had a 1000 many years ago and my memory may be whacked.:tinfoil:

Keep an eye on the chute and make sure it is full and keeping pressure on the primer that is on the plunger. If not sometimes the primer will not be centered on the plunger and therefore crush the primer in the pocket of flip it sideways.

I hope this helps. I had a 1000 many years ago and my memory may be whacked.:tough:

It is defiantly not centered, Because most of the time when I put pressure on the handle. The turret will advance a little about the time I feel the primer being pushed in.

Any suggestions?

m&pc:________

Dont feel bad; ive got a dillon 650 xl that will do the same thing some times. The problem with the dillon seems to be a combination of keeping the primer magazine full and having a little bit of weight on the primers (like the dillon primer alarm plunger).

The best way to fix this problem and have peace of mind is to hand prime your brass with a hand primer like a lee auto prime. Here is a picture: Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool - MidwayUSA

They cost about $20 or so (Make sure you get the shell holder set)and work like a charm. The downside is that you have to deprime the cases in a single stage press. I just use a universal decapping die. When you go back to your lee progressive; just take the decapping pin out of the resizing die, use the primed brass; and you dont have to fool with the priming system on the lee pro. This is a safe and sure way to prime brass with a progressive; but it takes a bit more time. If time is important to you; you may want to use this method only on rifle brass.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

The best way to fix this problem and have peace of mind is to hand prime your brass with a hand primer like a lee auto prime. Here is a picture: Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool - MidwayUSA

They cost about $20 or so (Make sure you get the shell holder set)and work like a charm.

+1 I just use the hand primer so I know there isn't any troubles. It does add an extra step but I just sit and watch TV while I prime my brass. :tough:

m&pc:________

Dont feel bad; ive got a dillon 650 xl that will do the same thing some times. The problem with the dillon seems to be a combination of keeping the primer magazine full and having a little bit of weight on the primers (like the dillon primer alarm plunger).

They cost about $20 or so (Make sure you get the shell holder set)and work like a charm. The downside is that you have to deprime the cases in a single stage press. I just use a universal decapping die. When you go back to your lee progressive; just take the decapping pin out of the resizing die, use the primed brass; and you dont have to fool with the priming system on the lee pro. This is a safe and sure way to prime brass with a progressive; but it takes a bit more time. If time is important to you; you may want to use this method only on rifle brass.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Leroy,

If your 650 is doing that, you really should not accept that kind of performance from it. I have a 650 as does 5 or 6 of my buddies and none of us has had that problem. I have loaded over 100k with mine and the only time I had a primer seating issue is when the indexing plate was wore out and had a groove wore in it. Dillon sent me a new one (for free of course...gotta love Dillon) and for the last 25k or so it has been bullet proof (pun intended:p)

Tim

What size primer are you loading? If it's large you may need to swap the primer punch out. At first didn't realize I had to do that on mine and once I swapped it all was fine.

Small pistol

Last night I took all the primers out and blew the press out with an air compressor. It loaded 100 rounds with out any going in sideways but I had a few with no primers.

Leroy,

If your 650 is doing that, you really should not accept that kind of performance from it. I have a 650 as does 5 or 6 of my buddies and none of us has had that problem. I have loaded over 100k with mine and the only time I had a primer seating issue is when the indexing plate was wore out and had a groove wore in it. Dillon sent me a new one (for free of course...gotta love Dillon) and for the last 25k or so it has been bullet proof (pun intended:p)

Tim

Tim:_________

Thanks for the note. My dillon was "new to me"; and it caused me to learn several things; one of which i think you have put your finger on. That is the issue of the indexing plate being adjusted EXACTLY right. I SUSPECT that i initially had the plate adjusted a little bit too loose. I believe that this adjustment, along with not keeping the primer magazine at least 1/3 full of primers contributed to allowing the plate and the light load on the primers to allow an occasional primer to jump a bit as the machine indexed and would cause the primer to seat sideways. I always take care to adjust the index plate exactly per the dillon instructions. That has helped the primer problem significantly; say one or two per hundred. We usually load pistol calibers with large primers. I haven't tried to load any calibers with small primers.

Thanks for giving me the "head's up".

Kind regrds,

LEROY

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mudduck

i have a lee pro 1000 and i always hand prime,i bought the lee auto prime,it works great,i will prime around 500 or so and have them ready when i do my reloading,it is the best way to go no problems that way

I found that I had to slow down and be smooth with the press. On the down stroke when the shell passes the lever to let a primer out. I just tap the auto primer and it work just fine. It slowed me down a little but I can reload about 200 rounds an hour. I am satisfied with the lee.