glock 17

thebabybrahma

I'm a new Glock owner as well, it was sugested to me by a LEO armorer/trainer who is a member of this sight to add a Vickers mag release and some XS big dot sites which I did install and those were very good options I can also recommend. I've also installed a Wolf lighter rod spring but still undecided on it..... COOP

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a new Glock owner as well, it was sugested to me by a LEO armorer/trainer who is a member of this sight to add a Vickers mag release and some XS big dot sites which I did install and those were very good options I can also recommend. I've also installed a Wolf lighter rod spring but still undecided on it..... COOP

I've always wondered, why would you change the spring to a lighter/heavier version? never actually seen a post or discussion anywhere that told me the utility of this. Is there something wrong with the original configuration?

I've always wondered, why would you change the spring to a lighter/heavier version? never actually seen a post or discussion anywhere that told me the utility of this. Is there something wrong with the original configuration?

Ask and you shall receive.

Most people initially start playing with recoil spring weights looking for better sight tracking under recoil, and/or in the interest of customizing the gun's "feel" to fit one's particular shooting style, but there are other reasons for it also.

Many guns come stock out-of-the-box either under or over-sprung, more often usually over-sprung to ensure reliable battery lock-up, as an example, the G17 in 9mm gets the same spring as the G22 in .40s&w and the G31 in .357sig for ease of manufacture, obviously the 9mm recoil isn't nearly as strong as the others so it really doesn't need the same strength spring...

So, the spring a gun comes stock with sometimes has more to do with ease of manufacture more than flat out performance, again as an example, a G17 comes stock with a 17lb spring, but actually will display better shooting characteristics in better sight tracking, less muzzle flip, and less felt recoil with a 13lb spring... even down to as low as an 11lb-er when using low PF "bunny-fart loads" in gun games like IDPA...

Here's something that will be helpful in understanding the pro's and con's of changing springs explained much better:Custom Glock Racing - Spring Wars

Hope this helps.:biglol:

Edited by CK1
Guest Todd@CIS

Most people initially start playing with recoil spring weights looking for better sight tracking under recoil, and/or in the interest of customizing the gun's "feel" to fit one's particular shooting style, but there are other reasons for it also.

Many guns come stock out-of-the-box either under or over-sprung, more often usually over-sprung to ensure reliable battery lock-up, as an example, the G17 in 9mm gets the same spring as the G22 in .40s&w and the G31 in .357sig for ease of manufacture, obviously the 9mm recoil isn't nearly as strong as the others so it really doesn't need the same strength spring...

So, the spring a gun comes stock with sometimes has more to do with ease of manufacture more than flat out performance, again as an example, a G17 comes stock with a 17lb spring, but actually will display better shooting characteristics in better sight tracking, less muzzle flip, and less felt recoil with a 13lb spring... even down to as low as an 11lb-er when using low PF "bunny-fart loads" in gun games like IDPA...

Here's something that will be helpful in understanding the pro's and con's of changing springs explained much better:Custom Glock Racing - Spring Wars

Hope this helps.:biglol:

+1 Good link. I agree with just about everything except I think he goes a little too light on spring weights and I'm not crazy about "clipping coils."

For the G19, I've found that the best overall recoil spring weight is 15lbs (vs stock 18lbs).

Is it necessary? Absolutely not..stock is perfectly fine.

However, if you shoot a stock sprung G19 and a 15lbs sprung G19 side x side, you'll feel a reduction in recoil with the 15lbs one...with no loss of reliability.

TGODavid felt this first-hand at CIS Defensive Pistol.

As to XSSights, IMO they're great combat sights and I used to use them.

I still would except for an eye / vision issue that prevents me. I just recently switched to Heinie "Straight Eights."

That said, sights are a very personal choice and there is no one "best."

For instance, I personally don't like 3-Dot nightsights, but that's just me. Many people love them.

For a defensive-use Glock, the only "needed" upgrades are good nightsights if the gun doesn't already have them.

For me, "nice to have" upgrades that I use?

Vickers mag release (I didn't think so until I tried Larry Vicker's G19).

G17 trigger w/ trigger bar in my G19 (I like a smooth vs serrated trigger).

Whatever "upgrades" you have installed, it is imperative that they don't compromise reliability.

Edited by Todd@CIS
I have 6 GLOCK, so I don't hate them, but I like a carry gun you can COCKED-N-LOCKED for safety reasons, I read that there is a gunsmith that will put a frame-mounted safety on the GLOCK for $125 !!!! You guys think it's worth doing ?????

I carry a glock or a steyr which is also "safe action" and really think the safest thing is just to carry in a kydex holster that ensures nothing can activte that trigger unless you decide to... For me, it adds up to not messing with the guns or having to deal with an extra unneeded safety, yet at the same time total safety. JMHO.

But "What if someone takes your GLOCK from you"???? If they pull the trigger the GLOCK will go BOOM !!! I think a carry guns MUST HAVE a frame-mounted safety !!!!

Well, if I allowed someone to somehow get into my waistband guess I might have a problem... However, highly unlikly.

If you mean after it's out of the holster than it doesn't matter since do to muscle memory I sweep off the safety on 1911's and such as I draw anyways...

Plus, I just don't put much stock in planning on a BG not knowing how to take a pistol off safe and those few seconds being my saving grace... YMMV I guess.

Hope this helps.;)

I really appreciate the enlightenment. I always wondered, kinda like I always wondered how Dick became short for Richard.

I really appreciate the enlightenment. I always wondered, kinda like I always wondered how Dick became short for Richard.

Yeah, where does that Dick/Richard thing come from?