Some affirmation on choice of HD shotgun...

molonlabetn

Here are my options...  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Here are my options...

• Keep the 590, you know it like the back of your hand, and it's dependable.
    • Keep the 590 and get one of those new Mossburg 930 SPX semi-autos
    • Sell/Trade the 590 and get another Benelli M1 Tactical (should never have sold the one I had before)
    • Sell/Trade the 590 and invest in a 14" SBS of some sort
    • Keep the 590 and buy a Saiga S12 to eventually have converted
    • You're nuts! Do this instead: (other)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid

I voted "Other"...

I'd keep the old standby, but buy the replacement of your choice and make sure it is all you want it to be prior to ditching your ol' faithful.

Then if the new gun is good, Sell/Trade it.

Keep the 590 around as a backup to it's replacement. As wise men have told us for generations... there is no such thing as having too many guns. I'd get an 870 SBS to use as it's replacement. Ghost ring sights, a solid stock, and the extended tube to match the bbl length, and you're good.

Do yourself a favor and check out the FN SLP. I keep falling more and more in love with mine. As smooth and fast as a Benelli, but with the soft recoil of my old 1100. Bought mine to shoot 3-gun, but serves as an excellent HD gun as well. Cheaper than the Benelli too. C'mon Eddie, you know you want to start shooting 3-gun anyway... :rolleyes:

DanO

Since an HD shotgun gets fired about once or twice a year I dont see any reason to replace it.

Save the money and go buy a revolver.

This one has seen well over a thousand shells through it. I don't take it out every time, but it sure does get fired.

I'm not replacing it because it's inadequete or because it doesn't work... I just want something else, something with a more refined action. I also want something at least a little bit shorter... that 20" bbl is rather ungainly.

This one has seen well over a thousand shells through it. I don't take it out every time, but it sure does get fired.

I'm not replacing it because it's inadequete or because it doesn't work... I just want something else, something with a more refined action. I also want something at least a little bit shorter... that 20" bbl is rather ungainly.

Then its not really an HD shotgun. Its a hobby gun doing double duty.

If you shoot it that much then obviously having a newer/nicer shotgun would mean a lot to you.

My 870 Marine Magnum probably gets shot 10 times a year. It's perfectly adequate for all the shotgunning that I do (next to none) and for HD. I keep thinking how nice a good OU would be. Then I remind myself "when are you gonna shoot it, genius?" Just not enough to justify getting something else, for me anyway.

Then its not really an HD shotgun. Its a hobby gun doing double duty.

If you shoot it that much then obviously having a newer/nicer shotgun would mean a lot to you.

My 870 Marine Magnum probably gets shot 10 times a year. It's perfectly adequate for all the shotgunning that I do (next to none) and for HD. I keep thinking how nice a good OU would be. Then I remind myself "when are you gonna shoot it, genius?" Just not enough to justify getting something else, for me anyway.

I prefer to see it as a HD shotgun which I practice with regularly... It is used for no other purpose than standing at the ready.

Guest ETS_Inc

I say ditch the 590 and buy an 870, either a 14" SBS (which is an excellent length, and what is next to my bed every night), or an 11 7/8" AOW (I hear there's a local guy who makes a really sexy 870 AOW).

Forget for a moment that I build SBS's and AOW's. I honestly believe that an 18" barreled shotgun with a full length stock is too long for most home defense. If you have to clear the home, the gun can be a bit difficult to wield in hallways and doorways. Going around a corner or into a doorway, your barrel often telegraphs your movement. A shorter gun makes it easier to manuever in tight spaces, which is one reason many people prefer a handgun. Personally, I'd rather have the 6 rounds in my 14" barreld 870 than the 8 rounds in my 1911. Afterall, a handgun is only for fighting your way back to the longgun you never should have left behind.

Another thing, your HD gun should be fired regularly, not left sitting in the closet, fired once or twice a year. You wouldn't dream of firing your carry gun that often, why do it with the gun you'll be using when you're most vulnerable - half asleep, dressed in PJ's (if that much), in the dark, while someone is ransacking your home, with your kids mere feet away? That situation calls for a tool you've come to trust 100%, and one you yield instinctively. Practice, practice, practice.

Since you've joined the discussion, Frank, and you've got the most experience with this kind of thing... I'd like to know how feasible it would be to get a 14" autoloader, such as a Rem 11-87 or 1100?

I agree fully that going from a 20" shotgun to an 18" shotgun wouldn't be nearly as worthwhile as opting for a 14" SBS while I have the inclination. My house is pretty open on the inside, I don't have any narrow hallways or weird angles (it was chosen intentionally that way)... but I would like something that's handier, and would be easier to stow away, or sling to be more mobile if I ever did use it for 3-gun. If the gas-op SBS guns are un-reliable, I might split the difference and start shopping for a used Benelli M1-Entry.

Thoughts?

Guest ETS_Inc

Brother,

I can get you a 14" barrelled 11-87 Police SBS, with rifled sights fairly easily. I'd have to order it from my distributor, and they are currently out of stock. However, it's just a matter of them ordering it from Remington. Given that it is an NFA weapon, that means about 4-6 weeks before I have it in my hands. (2-3 weeks for Form 3 from Rem to dist., another 2-3 weeks for Form 3 from dist. to me.) That means it'd take about 2-3 months to get it in your hands. But, I'll give you a really nice, TGO members only price, if you're interested.

How does $775 sound to you? Then there's sales tax and the $200 tax stamp, bringing your OTD total to $1,046.69.

If you're not dead-set on an auto, I could do an 870 SBS for a heck of a lot less money. Figure about $600 for an 870 Tactical, with 14" bbl and Knoxx Spec Ops stock (folding or standard). That makes your OTD total about $850 or so.

Brother,

I can get you a 14" barrelled 11-87 Police SBS, with rifled sights fairly easily. I'd have to order it from my distributor, and they are currently out of stock. However, it's just a matter of them ordering it from Remington. Given that it is an NFA weapon, that means about 4-6 weeks before I have it in my hands. (2-3 weeks for Form 3 from Rem to dist., another 2-3 weeks for Form 3 from dist. to me.) That means it'd take about 2-3 months to get it in your hands. But, I'll give you a really nice, TGO members only price, if you're interested.

How does $775 sound to you? Then there's sales tax and the $200 tax stamp, bringing your OTD total to $1,046.69.

If you're not dead-set on an auto, I could do an 870 SBS for a heck of a lot less money. Figure about $600 for an 870 Tactical, with 14" bbl and Knoxx Spec Ops stock (folding or standard). That makes your OTD total about $850 or so.

Let me consult with my better half... I'm sure I'll be compelled to sell my 590 to get the go ahead on that one.

Thanks!

I voted for you to keep what you have.

Do shotguns get shot out?

You say it is getting loose? Sounds to me that it is just to the broke in and dependable stage.

I would expect it to take much more than a couple thousand shells to wear out a decent shotgun... but this one is certainly 'broken in'. I'm not complaining... it's never jammed on it's own fault. I have replaced the magazine tube spring twice (I keep it loaded), but not due to any failure... just me being paranoid.

It did alright shooting clays at Oak Ridge a few months ago, if some of you recall...

I recall that 590 being a heck of a nice scatter gun and you shot it well.

How much adjusting would it take to become as proficient with a new one?

Zero if I got another Benelli M1... But I will likely wait and save up so that I can do that and keep the 590.

Guest tjbert47
I say ditch the 590 and buy an 870, either a 14" SBS (which is an excellent length, and what is next to my bed every night), or an 11 7/8" AOW (I hear there's a local guy who makes a really sexy 870 AOW).

Forget for a moment that I build SBS's and AOW's. I honestly believe that an 18" barreled shotgun with a full length stock is too long for most home defense. If you have to clear the home, the gun can be a bit difficult to wield in hallways and doorways. Going around a corner or into a doorway, your barrel often telegraphs your movement. A shorter gun makes it easier to manuever in tight spaces, which is one reason many people prefer a handgun. Personally, I'd rather have the 6 rounds in my 14" barreld 870 than the 8 rounds in my 1911. Afterall, a handgun is only for fighting your way back to the longgun you never should have left behind.

Another thing, your HD gun should be fired regularly, not left sitting in the closet, fired once or twice a year. You wouldn't dream of firing your carry gun that often, why do it with the gun you'll be using when you're most vulnerable - half asleep, dressed in PJ's (if that much), in the dark, while someone is ransacking your home, with your kids mere feet away? That situation calls for a tool you've come to trust 100%, and one you yield instinctively. Practice, practice, practice.

Frank

What is the time line and OTD price on getting one of those 870 AOWs in my hands.

Tom in TN

P.S. PM me if you would rather not post that information.

I went through the same thoughts with $150 870 that I own. Rather than blow a bunch of $$ on something marginally better, I ended up adding a speedfeed IV pistol grip stock. The shotgun feels much better for home defense. If you don't go with a SBS auto, that's my recommendation.

BTW, that SBS 11/87 out the door price is amazing!

Guest ETS_Inc
Frank

What is the time line and OTD price on getting one of those 870 AOWs in my hands.

Tom in TN

P.S. PM me if you would rather not post that information.

OTD price, with gun, sales tax, and tax stamp is $550 with vertical grips, and $600 with the more comfortable Speedfeed grips. Add $70 for a Mesa Tactical Sureshell ($65 + $5 sales tax).

From time of ordering / payment, you should have it in your hands between 5-7 weeks.