Can I carry on Tennessee river/blueway?

Guest FortyFive2Life

Guest FortyFive2Life

Hey guys,

Taking a float trip into the the Tennessee River Gorge this weekend, and I'm wanting to take my carry piece along. I have a Tennessee carry permit. Does anyone know if there are any reasons I cannot carry while on the Tennessee River?

I don't know why I would not be able to, but since it's a waterway I thought there might be something I was not aware of. Any info you could provide would be helpful. I tried searching the topic but could not turn up anything.

Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest H0TSH0T

yes you can carry on a boat, remember 3 shots is a distress sig, lol

it is viewed the same as a fire arm in your home, castle law. in fact i don't think you even need a permit to carry in your home or boat.

it is viewed the same as a fire arm in your home, castle law. in fact i don't think you even need a permit to carry in your home or boat.

Extremely Bad Advice.

Your boat is no more a "castle" than your car.

One might justify possession in a motor home or houseboat/yacht type craft (your "castle away from the castle") but certainly not in your average recreational craft.

Only time firearm possession without permit would be justified there would be the "incident to hunting, hiking, camping, etc" statute; and that might be pretty sticky.

- OS

Guest FortyFive2Life

By float trip, I mean touring kayaks :crazy:

As far as the castle law goes, it only applies to homes. RV's are considered homes if they are parked and hooked up to water/electricity. Otherwise they fall under the same category as regular vehicles.

I still am not clear on the law. I put in at a ramp that had a no alcohol/no drugs sign, but no sign prohibiting firearms. I took out at a pull off downstream that had no signs posted at all. Either way, I had my firearm and carry permit with me.

In 30+ years I've never done anything that warranted a LEO to give me even a second look, so I figure the risk is pretty low anyway. It's just silly that there are very strict laws about these things, but no clear and easily accessible answers to those laws.

Guest H0TSH0T
Extremely Bad Advice.

Your boat is no more a "castle" than your car.

One might justify possession in a motor home or houseboat/yacht type craft (your "castle away from the castle") but certainly not in your average recreational craft.

Only time firearm possession without permit would be justified there would be the "incident to hunting, hiking, camping, etc" statute; and that might be pretty sticky.

- OS

under ""U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION UNITED STATES COAST GUARD, NAVIGATION RULES, INTERNATIONAL--INLAND COMDTINST M16672,2B"" RULE 37 DISTRESS SIGNALS when a vessel is in distress and requires assistance she shall use or exhibit the signals described in annex IV to these regulations. posted copy.

CCI00008-1.jpg

ANNEX IV UNDER SECTION 87.1 DISTRESS SIGNALS. PG 161, I WILL POST PIC OF PAGE AND YOU CAN READ IT.

CCI00009-2.jpg

their are different rights to a captian of a ship that differ from a operator of a car , 2 unless you are on private waterways, the laws on the water are federal laws, some states and city's, may enforce these laws, and some waterways may have city ordinances and state ordinances that the fed government will enforce in addition to the fed laws. but the above is the federal requirements.

read the first post, he/she has permit, thank you.:crazy:

I have come to understand that you have a short attention span, but I'll remind you that I said that as a further response to YOUR contention that

"In fact i don't think you even need a permit to carry in your home or boat."

- OS

In TN possession of a firearm in your car or boat is NOT like possession in your house.

You do not have to have a permit to posses a firearm in your house, you do have to have a permit to have one in your car or on your boat. (Unless either is acting as your residence at the time, I don't thing kayaks, bass boat or the like would ever qualify as your residence)

Regardless of what any signals for distress may be.....that doesn't mean it is lawful to posses the firearm. Just that if someone has one (legally, preferably) those are signals they can use.

I really hate the term "Castle Doctrine/Law" It is really just a general term for the collection of firearm and self-defense laws. It means different things in different states and sometimes even in different situations within the same state.

Just because you say TN has the "castle law"...doesn't mean every law in TN is the same as every other state that has the "castle law"

Now one way you car or boat is like your house is that if someone forcibly and unlawfully enters either, the law would presume you are in fear of your life or serious bodily harm.

I think from what I learned from the previous threads here that the TN river is fine for carry.

Along the Blueway though I am not sure about the stopover/camping points. The island in downtown Chattanooga (Maclellan Island) is managed by the Audubon Society. Williams Island further down is managed by the Tennessee River Gorge Trust as I think that Pot Point further down is as well (or it could be part of Prentice Cooper?).

I think Hamilton Country Sheriffs Office polices Maclellan, and that some other entity keeps an eye on Williams Island. I made the trip a few years ago on Easter weekend (early in the kayaking season) and saw no one at any of the campsites. I know you have to have camping permits from each of these places if you are planning on camping, but not sure how that would relate to legal carry. I made my arrangements too late for them to mail out permits, and they all gave me verbal permission and their names/numbers if I had any problems.

Along the Blueway though I am not sure about the stopover/camping points. ...

As long as none are federal property, what law would prevent you from possessing/carrying in any of those locations, short of compliant posting from a private owner?

(especially concealed , of course) :koolaid:

- OS

As long as none are federal property, what law would prevent you from possessing/carrying in any of those locations, short of compliant posting from a private owner?

(especially concealed , of course) :cool:

- OS

You do have a point there OhShoot. I would assume that at least my first two examples would be the same as private entities that they would have to post. Not sure about Prentice Cooper....I think that might be ok now too with it being a state forest right? Think that is my understanding.

By the way, I would recommend this trip to anyone. Definitely a different way to see Chattanooga. A friend and myself did it by canoe back then. I have been wanting to go back and do it by kayak sometime soon though.

• 2 weeks later...