Modern Warfare 2 (xbox360)

Guest cowboy20th

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that scene to be both disturbing and fascinating. Disturbing for its violence; fascinating, because of what it tells us about our willingness to fantasize. The reason it is disturbing is no doubt for its realism. Yet, realism in war video games is always a contradictory thing. Reviewers often praise how real graphics, weapons, history, characters can make the game's portrayal of war, yet all those things are not realism, but verisimilitude–they make the portrayal believable. War games can never be a realistic portrayal of war, because the most important elements are always left out–the consequences. That the most compelling and frightening thing about war is missing means that these games are not about creating a recreation of war, but a fantasy of war. The question is, what are we willing to accept as fantasy, and how much of a role are we willing to play in that fantasy.

Arguably, it is not the scene itself that is controversial (at least not by contemporary Hollywood standards), but that we are holding the controller. Is there a difference between taking pleasure from watching gratuitous violence in a film, and holding a controller in a video game? Americans have long fantasized about America's destruction in films, eaten popcorn while witnessing large scale violence and destruction at the hands of our enemies, and made Hollywood rich for giving it to us. America has always had an appetite for disaster films, whether natural or man made. The pre-9/11 1980's and 1990's, two decades devoid of any large scale global conflict were the pinnacle of this kind of Hollywood fantasy "entertainment." Now, the trend has shifted to video games, but does a controller in our hands suddenly make our complicitness in these fantasies more visible? I suspect many will play the scene out anyway, but I suspect most will realize what we have rationalized away in the past.

The problem is not the cliche charge that these video games and movies promote violence, but rather, that they promote a misunderstanding of violence. Virtual violence is not violence, and that is the problem; it lacks consequence and it lacks sacrifice. I have seen plenty of criticism about this scene, yet none about what I believe the real offense–that the game is being released to great fanfare on veteran's day, a day we are supposed to recognize the true sacrifice of those who have fought for our freedom. Instead, we celebrate a game that responds to death with a ten-second moment of silence before a respawn.

I wouldn't argue that any rational individual doesn't have the capacity to separate fantasy from reality, but fantasies are like colors in the wash; they tend to spread. When most Americans see so few images of war, and fewer still experience it first hand, our understanding is certainly influenced by the portrayals or fantasies we do see. As difficult and painful as it is to look at them, the recent publication of photographs of Lance Cpl. Joshua M. Bernard show us the true sacrifice that our soldiers make. They are the antidote to our entertainment fantasies of war. The problem with video games is that their sole function is to entertain. The best war movies and literature are not entertaining, they are gut-wrenching, and they are heartbreaking. Violent films, even if they don't usually, at least have the capacity to show us consequences. Video games don't.

america_is_not_at_war.jpg

Edited by 9teeneleven
I find that scene to be both disturbing and fascinating. Disturbing for its violence; fascinating, because of what it tells us about our willingness to fantasize. The reason it is disturbing is no doubt for its realism. Yet, realism in war video games is always a contradictory thing. Reviewers often praise how real graphics, weapons, history, characters can make the game's portrayal of war, yet all those things are not realism, but verisimilitude–they make the portrayal believable. War games can never be a realistic portrayal of war, because the most important elements are always left out–the consequences. That the most compelling and frightening thing about war is missing means that these games are not about creating a recreation of war, but a fantasy of war. The question is, what are we willing to accept as fantasy, and how much of a role are we willing to play in that fantasy.

Arguably, it is not the scene itself that is controversial (at least not by contemporary Hollywood standards), but that we are holding the controller. Is there a difference between taking pleasure from watching gratuitous violence in a film, and holding a controller in a video game? Americans have long fantasized about America's destruction in films, eaten popcorn while witnessing large scale violence and destruction at the hands of our enemies, and made Hollywood rich for giving it to us. America has always had an appetite for disaster films, whether natural or man made. The pre-9/11 1980's and 1990's, two decades devoid of any large scale global conflict were the pinnacle of this kind of Hollywood fantasy "entertainment." Now, the trend has shifted to video games, but does a controller in our hands suddenly make our complicitness in these fantasies more visible? I suspect many will play the scene out anyway, but I suspect most will realize what we have rationalized away in the past.

The problem is not the cliche charge that these video games and movies promote violence, but rather, that they promote a misunderstanding of violence. Virtual violence is not violence, and that is the problem; it lacks consequence and it lacks sacrifice. I have seen plenty of criticism about this scene, yet none about what I believe the real offense–that the game is being released to great fanfare on veteran's day, a day we are supposed to recognize the true sacrifice of those who have fought for our freedom. Instead, we celebrate a game that responds to death with a ten-second moment of silence before a respawn.

I wouldn't argue that any rational individual doesn't have the capacity to separate fantasy from reality, but fantasies are like colors in the wash; they tend to spread. When most Americans see so few images of war, and fewer still experience it first hand, our understanding is certainly influenced by the portrayals or fantasies we do see. As difficult and painful as it is to look at them, the recent publication of photographs of Lance Cpl. Joshua M. Bernard show us the true sacrifice that our soldiers make. They are the antidote to our entertainment fantasies of war. The problem with video games is that their sole function is to entertain. The best war movies and literature are not entertaining, they are gut-wrenching, and they are heartbreaking. Violent films, even if they don't usually, at least have the capacity to show us consequences. Video games don't.

america_is_not_at_war.jpg

Great post.

PC Recommended:

CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better

RAM: 1G for XP; 2G for Vista

Hard Drive: 8GB of free space

Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800ir?t=blogulate-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000ATK54C or better or ATI Radeon X1800ir?t=blogulate-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000CPIVD6 or better

SWEET! I got this except for the CPU (I come close though). May have to run it on low settings, but I think I'll pick this up. Loved every other COD game, I think this one will be no exception. I'm in.

I refuse to feel guilty for liking movies or video games where I get to shoot virtual people and blow **** up.

It is just entertainment. The video game is not supposed to be about anything more or less profound than that.

The problem with video games is that their sole function is to entertain.
Their SOLE function is to entertain.

End. Of. Story.

I refuse to feel guilty for liking movies or video games where I get to shoot virtual people and blow **** up.

It is just entertainment. The video game is not supposed to be about anything more or less profound than that.

Their SOLE function is to entertain.

End. Of. Story.

I didn't say that anyone should feel guilty about playing them. I will be picking my copy up tonight. Call of Duty World at War is probably my favorite video game of all time. However, I will feel a little strange playing that scene. I am certainly not advocating any kind of restriction on these games. Just looking at the nature of them. I do, however, think it is distasteful to release the game on Veterans' day replete with military-esque fanfare, especially during wartime, and especially considering how detached from that war most Americans are.

Guest Gun Geek
I'll probably get it on 360 just for the multiplayer possibilities.

I wish my internet didnt suck I would do more multiplayer.

i dont know if gamestop is open at mid-night. anyone know the answer???

my gamer tag for xbox 360: suthrner2009

Yeah most likely they will be tonight. If all else fails you know wally world is open at midnight.

Guest clsutton21
I wish my internet didnt suck I would do more multiplayer.

Yeah most likely they will be tonight. If all else fails you know wally world is open at midnight.

True about wal-mart, but rarely ever will they put the game out at midnight. Most of the time they won't even sell it to you because it hasn't been logged in yet.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
True about wal-mart, but rarely ever will they put the game out at midnight. Most of the time they won't even sell it to you because it hasn't been logged in yet.

I've been in 2 Walmarts in the south Nashville/Antioch area that sold me new games just after midnight. The Nolensville/OHB Walmart sold me H3ODST @ midnight when it was released. The electronics associate was happy to go and retrieve the game from the back for me.