40+ yr old S&W snubbie

ftncityfatboy

today my father who is 80 yrs young, showed me his S&W .38 spl 2" snubbie he purchased 40+ yrs ago when he was with the UT police dept (actually he was in the fire marshall's office but req'd to have firearm). Upon further discussion, he informed me it had never been fired BUT I was welcome to take it and shoot it! I graciously declined not being the owner of the pistol but someday......should I have accepted his offer???:stunned:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should I have accepted his offer???:stunned:

What you should've done is gotten us a picture of it. :lol:

Sounds like a great family heirloom. Maybe see if he wants to shoot it with you? Do you have any kids that might appreciate getting to shoot their grandfather's gun with him?

What you should've done is gotten us a picture of it. :stunned:

Sounds like a great family heirloom. Maybe see if he wants to shoot it with you? Do you have any kids that might appreciate getting to shoot their grandfather's gun with him?

unfortunately dad will never be able to shoot the gun due to declining health unless I were to take him and pull the hammer thus making it a SA pistol. He would not be able to use it as a DA due to loss of hand strength. I have a daughter but she doesn't like pistols larger than a .22 so to answer your question no. Seem like it will become a family heirloom...

Make sure to do everything you can to eventually hand that gun to your grandchildren (or someone special) one day. Write down the story about it too...keep it in the box.

They made a lot of those guns over the years, but through the hands that they have passed - many of them have a great story behind them.

Guest Bluemax
Make sure to do everything you can to eventually hand that gun to your grandchildren (or someone special) one day. Write down the story about it too...keep it in the box.

They made a lot of those guns over the years, but through the hands that they have passed - many of them have a great story behind them.

+1000 I lost my Dad in 04, remember, a gun can be replaced but an heirloom cannot

Other than special “Collectors Editions†there is no such thing as an unfired Smith & Wesson. It was fired at the factory and unless they were cleaned off the powder marks are on the front of the cylinder.

I have a model 36 that is about 40 years old and I shoot it all the time. It is one of my main carry guns.

40 years old is not old for handguns and dates it to when S&W was making revolvers that were better materials and quality than they are today. Shoot it and enjoy it. thumbsup.gif

Guest Muttling

I've got my dad's hunting rifle and shotgun, my brother has his pistols. None are worth a lot of money, but these are the weapons he carried as long as we both can remember and all are very special heirlooms.

My grandfather passed in '93 and left me a Winchester 190 .He told me he wanted me to enjoy it I still shoot that gun almost once a week .Guns are great memorials and should be cherished whether you shoot them or not:)

Guest jcramin

My dad has three brand new guns still in the cardboard boxes and wrapped in the original wax paper never been shot. 2 are .38s one is a detective and one is a police and the other gun is a bulldog .44sp. They will be eventually handed down to me and my son will be the first to shoot his grandfathers guns.

Guest Hammerdown
unfortunately dad will never be able to shoot the gun due to declining health unless I were to take him and pull the hammer thus making it a SA pistol. He would not be able to use it as a DA due to loss of hand strength. I have a daughter but she doesn't like pistols larger than a .22 so to answer your question no. Seem like it will become a family heirloom...

Hello ftncityfatboy

I would suggest you take him to the range and cock it single action for him to fire and enjoy it, while he still Can.;)we as Son's Tend to not spend as much time with our Father's as we should and really need to. I am certain if you were to take him and help him fire his Old Chief, it would provide him a Fond memory he would never forget, and Like wise for you. My Father started me out shooting when I was 8 year's Old with a Daisy Spittin Image lever action B-B Gun. When I was 12 Years old, He then handed me my Great uncles Model 12-A Pump .22 rifle that was carried on The Erie Lackawanna Railroad caboose for better than 35 Years, and when they stopped to take on Water {Steam Engine} he would sometimes Take the head of a Cock Pheasant off for him and the Boy's to enjoy on a hot small coal stove in the Caboose once they were back underway.

It dates 1913 and is about perfect as it was kept in an Oil cloth all those years. I Taught my Daughter to shoot with it, and await my Grand Kids to teach them as well. My Intent in responding here is to share with you that "time Pass's way too quickly and we need to take advantage of it before it is too late". Sadly, Last year my Father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. He has Good Days, and Bad days alike. I had Bought him a model 36 chief shown back after Mom Passed away in 2002 for Home Protection. He is and X-Policeman and wanted me to find him a Period correct Chief that would coincide when he was a Cop Back in the Late 1950's so I had a Hard time finding one in Good shape, but finally located the one shown.

He was active at shooting Trap Twice a week until The doctor diagnosed him with the disease. The hardest thing I had to do was take away his Guns at the Doctors suggestion to be safe, it was one of the worse days of my life, but it had to be done. He got very emotional with me, but understood why I had to do it. I take him with me often to the range and set with him while he fire's his Chief. The time we spend together is very satisfying and provides a fond memory for him and myself. I am an NRA Range safety officer at John Sevier Range and take him on days when the range is closed so we are one on one and alone.

If you and your father feel up to it, I will meet you & Him on my range so he can enjoy his Chief and some quality time with his son. Just PM me here is this is something you would like to do, it will Not Cost you a Dime, I would be Happy to Open the range and help your Father enjoy his S&W while doing it safely. I can't think of a better way of De-Flowering a Gun than with the Man that Bought it and with his Son he will leave it to, after he is Gone. :lol: I will await your response on this, Best regards, Hammerdown

DSCF1389.JPG

DSCF1390.JPG

This thread is killing me! I need an old Chief's Special just like that for my mom. She wants one badly.

My father had one at one point, along with all this other toys, that was either my Grandfather's or he gave to Grandaddy. That thing is somewhere in the family, I hope. Need to do some "research" over the holidays and get some 'cuz to fess up.

[ftncityfatboy] Hammerdown has just made you an offer that a wise man would not be able to turn down. TAKE HIM UP ON IT - Meet him with your father at the range and let your dad shoot this gun. It is going to last a lot onlger than he is. If you do, you will not face the day when you might say..."I wish I could take my Daddy shooting." While you may wish that, you will be comforted by knowing you did what you could when you had the chance.

I own the same Smith & Wesson vintage, as well as the their latest new revolver, which is no where near the fit, finish, or firearm that this gun is! My advice is to take your dad to the range with Hammerdown and if he can shoot it, let him. Then, after his has shot it [and/or if he cannot shoot it] let him shoot one cylinder full with you holding his hand.

Short barrel revolvers do not normally make tight patterns [even at close range] but, with two hands very good results can be realized. What better memory could either of you have of this occasion than knowing a really good shot pattern was realized with a two handed grip - one from each of you?

Best wishes -

P.W. Holdridge, PhD