Hey dealers, got a question for ya (ar-15 lowers)

Guest coldblackwind

Guest coldblackwind

Ok, with the number of dealers on here dealing with ar-15 lowers, hopefully I can get an answer on this. I have had multiple dealers tell me that there is some kind of new law/regulation on the books that all new ar-15 lowers have to either be registered as a pistol lower, or as an aow. I've heard this from, I believe, 3 dealers, but all were in the state of PA (talked to them when I visited the parents in Ny). The last one I talked too said he believed it was nationwide. Anyone heard anything like this, or is this a PA thing?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Traumaslave

I have never heard of such a thing. Now, there are lowers that are marked "pistol" or "SBR" but as far as I know, and act on, it is declared on the 4473 at the time of sale.

It is funny that I am from NY and I, too, have been bitten by the gun buying bug after knowing I have the freedom to do so down here. I have not heard of what they are saying either. I know that it has to be listed as a pistol if it will be one, but not sure about the other stuff. BTW I'm not a dealer...oops.

To clear things up.

Title 1: New unbuilt/stripped AR lowers without a stock ever being installed is logged in the dealer's bound book and then transferred out as a "receiver" on a 4473. Once it is sold, the buyer may build it as a pistol or a rifle. This is even if the receiver is marked as a pistol or SBR or what have you. Doesn't matter they are just markings. This is as of last Nov 08 when the new 4473 took effect.

If the buyer wishes to SBR/AOW (a pistol AR) it, then they fill out the appropriate form with the ATF.

NFA items: If the lower comes in to the dealer as a SBR/AOW with the appropriate ATF for showing tax paid/exempt, then it is transferred on a 4473 as such upon receipt of the appropriate form showing tax paid to the buyer.

Basically the dealers you are hearing this from are FOS.

Edited by TNRobocop
Guest coldblackwind

Basically the dealers you are hearing this from are FOS.

Well, now I wouldn't necessarily say they are FOS, they were dealers my dad frequents, and if they were FOS, he wouldn't frequent them. PA may very well have told them this was coming up, within PA, and he just assumed it was nationwide. I did a really quick google search, and there was some mention of this, but not a whole lot, the ones mentioning it basically sounded like they thought it was unenforceable. I was just curious if anyone had heard anything around here.

Well, now I wouldn't necessarily say they are FOS, they were dealers my dad frequents, and if they were FOS, he wouldn't frequent them. PA may very well have told them this was coming up, within PA, and he just assumed it was nationwide. I did a really quick google search, and there was some mention of this, but not a whole lot, the ones mentioning it basically sounded like they thought it was unenforceable. I was just curious if anyone had heard anything around here.

Maybe not FOS in a liberal manner, but they are interjecting their interpretation of what the law says or they are ignorant of the latest info.

Sounds more like gun store commando talk.

Guest coldblackwind

Ok, got the skinny on it. My dad got one of them to let him read the letter. They are required to treat them as a pistol, which basically means, you can't buy it under the age of 21 (instead of 18), or if you are from out of state.

Guest Traumaslave
To clear things up.

Title 1: New unbuilt/stripped AR lowers without a stock ever being installed is logged in the dealer's bound book and then transferred out as a "receiver" on a 4473.

Am I wrong that this is true unless, it is marked as a "pistol" or "SBR"? I know you can do anything you want with a SBR lower (make it full size) but, I thought they were produced as such and sold as such. That is the way I have done.

Am I wrong that this is true unless, it is marked as a "pistol" or "SBR"? I know you can do anything you want with a SBR lower (make it full size) but, I thought they were produced as such and sold as such. That is the way I have done.

Well a SBR would not come in as a title 1 weapon since it is a NFA weapon.

According to the ATF, a unbuilt lower is considered a receiver only. There is also a spot on the drop down menu when you do the background check online that says receiver for weapon type.