Tree Stand Tragedy or Stupidity

Guest KarlS

I know nobody ever does this but....Looks like these guys evidently weren't paying attention to safety. One paid with his life. It's from NH but a tree stand is the same anywhere. I can't imagine capping off THEN pulling it up while looking down the barrel the whole way up.:hiding: Safety shortcuts always have a habit of catching up to you. Have fun..be safe.

Two Self-inflicted Hunting-related Shooting Incidents in N.H., One Fatal

CONCORD, N.H. –Two hunting-related shooting incidents occurred in New Hampshire on Saturday, October 31, the opening day of the state’s muzzleloader season for deer. One was fatal.

In Rindge, N.H., Timothy Letourneau of Rindge, age 21, was killed when his muzzleloader discharged shortly after he had gotten into his treestand. Letourneau had been hunting with his brother on land off Old Jaffrey Road, where the pair had landowner permission to hunt. The landowner called 911 just before 4 p.m. on Saturday (October 31) to report that a hunter had been shot. New Hampshire Fish and Game Conservation Officers, Rindge Police and Rindge Fire and Rescue responded. Letourneau was transported to Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough, where he was pronounced dead from an accidental gunshot wound, according to N.H. Fish and Game Lt. Craig Morrocco.

Also on Saturday afternoon, a deer hunter was injured in Ossippee. Robert LaPointe of Somersworth, age 66, was pulling his muzzleloader up into his treestand about 1:45 p.m. when the gun got stuck on a branch, which pulled the trigger. The gun was fully loaded (with cap) and pointed upwards. It went off and shot LaPointe in the hand at close range, causing serious injury. LaPointe was transported to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro, then transferred to Maine Medical Center in Portland, according to N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officer Mark Hensel.

"When you bring a firearm up into a treestand, the gun must be unloaded – for muzzleloaders, uncapped – with the safety on. Also, control the direction of the muzzle of your firearm; know exactly where it’s pointing at all times," said Hensel.

Here's the link Two Self-inflicted Hunting-related Shooting Incidents in N.H., One Fatal - N.H. Fish and Game

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say they were dumb hunters. they should know better that that i bet they didn't have a hunters safety class certificate.

If you need some class to tell you not to do the things they did, I don't think it would help much. Warning labels are for these guys.

Guest TnDeerHunter

Accidents will happen but using common sense is still a choice. It's bad when things like this happen and my prayers go out to the family but we all can use this as a reminder to be safe.

Guest hockeygeek1988

I happen to be best friends with the 21 year old kid his name is timmy and his accident was not done out of stupidity! He was in his tree stand for a short period of time and happened to ACCIDENTLY dropped his rifle. When it hit the ground it went off... It happened to be aimed directly at him... all a flute.. so please get your facts correct before you accuse someone of being an idiot!

Sorry about your friend but could you give us the facts then. Was the safety off or on, did the gun malfunction when it hit the ground?

As far as the safety goes I'm not sure. Both were accidents from ML's. One of them was capped off THEN he hoisted it up the tree stand. While doing this he hit a branch and it pulled the hammer back to ready fire and it went off somehow. The other guy that died is still a question. I know most around here use TC's as the factory is close by. Nearly all I know are hammer block or half cock safetys. If he hoisted it up the tree with a charge no cap then how do you shoot yourself in the tree stand? I wonder if he too brought it up fully loaded?? He could have been sitting there with a cocked hammer too and forgot he did it. Cocking the hammer on these can be loud at close range. We may not ever know. BP rifle safety topic for another thread someday?

Accidents unfortunatly happan. It tears me up to hear about them.

When you are in a tree stand, just be aware of what you are doing.

Strap in, be aware of your surroundings, and keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. Don't fall asleep in your stand.

Do not load the gun until you are in the stand and ready to hunt.

Hunting is susposed to be fun.

Please be safe out there.

Accidents unfortunatly happan. It tears me up to hear about them.

When you are in a tree stand, just be aware of what you are doing.

Strap in, be aware of your surroundings, and keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. Don't fall asleep in your stand.

Do not load the gun until you are in the stand and ready to hunt.

Hunting is susposed to be fun.

Please be safe out there.

:up:

Very good comments.

We have all done some stupid things before. I hate that these guys got hurt and dead, but maybe it will serve as a reminder for us to stay alert. I've found I HAVE to have a cup of joe before I go to the stand or I get real sloppy. I almost slid a tree in my climber last weekend cause I wasn't paying attention.

Edited by iyaoyas98
I need coffee before I spell too :)
Guest hockeygeek1988

I am almost 100% possitive that he carried the gun up while it was unloaded and then when he got up there he loaded it and went to lean it aganst something to free his hands and fix something real quick when the gun fell. and when it landed it went off and shot him in the back killing him before he ever made it to the hospital.. This was not something that you can call a DEAD kid stupid OVER! no this was an accident that happened... And as for the assh*le that said NH doesnt have classes... by the way NH does have manditory classes and tim leaving us makes it a total of only 4 deaths in the last 15 years due to an accident!

however I do agree the other guy is a retard!

Guest hockeygeek1988

and I have no idea if the gun was on safety when it fell... all I know is that he had bad luck on Halloween... and when he dropped that gun it was 1 in a million chance for it to hit him!

I am almost 100% possitive that he carried the gun up while it was unloaded and then when he got up there he loaded it and went to lean it aganst something to free his hands and fix something real quick when the gun fell. and when it landed it went off and shot him in the back killing him before he ever made it to the hospital.. This was not something that you can call a DEAD kid stupid OVER! no this was an accident that happened... And as for the assh*le that said NH doesnt have classes... by the way NH does have manditory classes and tim leaving us makes it a total of only 4 deaths in the last 15 years due to an accident!

however I do agree the other guy is a retard!

This is Muzzleloader. Explain to me why would he have cocked the hammer back unless he was ready to shoot? Tragic yes, but if that's your theory then it was improper. I don't think any member here needs to be referred to as an assh*le either. That was not his intent. If you referenced the article Tim was 21 and yes he had to take the course. The other was 66. In NH as long as you've had a hunting license you do not have to take the course. I'm sure at 66 he's had a prior hunting license.

By state law, anyone planning to buy a basic hunting license, archery or trapping license must complete the respective hunter, bowhunter, or trapper education course. Individuals may purchase these licenses by showing a certificate of completion from the appropriate course, or a previously issued license of the same type.

I have hunted for close to 40 years. During that time I have been a member of Alaska Professional Hunters and registered guide with safety drilled in to me for years. When I returned from AK to NH I had no reason I had to take the HSC but have taken it three times along with Bow hunters course. Safety to me does not take a back seat. I'm sorry if you knew Tim. It was a tragety however it happened.

Edited by KarlS
sp

CODE OF CONDUCT

3.Maintain good fellowship.

Members should treat each other as they would like to be treated themselves. Name calling, flame posts, racial slurs, and other insulting remarks meant to cause conflict will not be tolerated. You should always try to maintain good fellowship with the other members of this community and
be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

Debate is welcome and encouraged, but you must always stick to attacking the issues rather than the person or profession. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information.
Keep in mind that in life there is no guarantee that others will agree with your thoughts or comments. You absolutely must try to handle disagreements, criticisms or opposing viewpoints with tact and maturity.

If you have a problem with another member or a vendor, you are instructed to take it off-line. If a problem cannot be resolved satisfactorily in this way, you may contact the TGO Staff and request assistance. If a problem between members manifests publicly, the Staff will intervene in the way most beneficial to the Community.

Edited by memphismason
Guest GunTroll

i would say they were dumb hunters. they should know better that that i bet they didn't have a hunters safety class certificate.

It's a tragedy that could have been prevented if the hunter had not been an idiot.
hockeygeek, I appreciate your insight into this matter, but please refrain from calling names here.

Thanks

The intent of this thread was to show hunters how important safety rules are to follow.

It has turned into a thread that:

1. Has caused a person to sign up to "defend" their friend's honor

2. A name calling session

3. A place to patronize a Mod.

I see no reason in keeping this thread open, as it has fulfilled it's intended purpose and then some.

Hockeygeek, please understand that I believe it was not the intent of any member to say hurtful things about your friend. The members were commenting on a story that didn't give all the facts. Thanks for telling us the whole story, and I hope you stay an active member of our forum.

Edited by memphismason
  • Administrator
You are correct. This person hockeygeek was out of line. Shame on him!

Sorry for disrespecting your internet authority. It won't happen again.

605074-cartman_super.jpg

If I see anything else like this again, you won't be able to read my reply to it. Cut it out.