Carrying in Illinois

Guest jth_3s

Im going to be traveling into Enemy Territory this coming weekend to go on a deer hunt. Does anyone know how I can legally carry my handgun into Illinois?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you better look real hard to find out if you can take a gun into Illinois period.

I believe there is a lot of doubt about having a firearm there without a FOID card. And I believe you have to be a resident there to have one.

I know there is no way you can legally carry a firearm there.

if you intend to hunt with it you would need to get the appropriate license for that. IL allows deer hunting with handguns and you should be able to get that license. No one in IL can sell you ammo without that hunting license.

For just taking it into the state, it is allowed provided the handgun is unloaded and in the trunk, and you are traveling to or from your intended destination or headed to a range.

from http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm:

If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?

Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

1. Unloaded, and
  2. Enclosed in a case, and
  3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

I thought as long as it was unloaded that there was a federal law that allowed me to transport a gun through any state.

Edited by jth_3s
Guest ArmyVeteran37214
Put your shells in the trunk, the clip under the seat and your weapon under the hood! You should be just fine....

ROFL1.gif That would work, but is a little extreme.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Make sure to have all the ammo you need with you. Take twice as much as you think you need. God forbid you run out and you cannot buy more.

Illinois sucks! If you are planning on carrying, be extra careful! (I'm not saying go ahead and carry.) Illinois is one of the most unfriendly states when it comes to firearms. The consequences would be great if you got caught.

Last time I traveled into enemy territory, I had my firearm with the magazine out of the handgun, in the glove box (locked of course). When I arrived at my destination, I took the handgun out of the glove box and brought it in the house.

One more thing, if you are hunting central IL for example. Travel as far north in friendly territory as possible( I.E. Indiana and Kentucky). Then travel across the state line. As long as you play it cool and smart, your trip will just fine.

Edited by StreetWK05

Illinois sucks but it is allowable to travel with a gun.

Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

1. Unloaded, and
  2. Enclosed in a case, and
  3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case.I have a friend/relative who has a "conceal and carry" permit issued in the state in which they reside. Is the permit recognized in Illinois?No. Non-residents are subject to Illinois law, restrictions, and penalties, and should be familiar with them if the non-resident plans to bring a firearm into the state of Illinois.

Nice PDF of a QA from the Illinois state police.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

In a nutshell.. Unloaded, enclosed in a case and not immediately accessible.

Illinois sucks! If you are planning on carrying, be extra careful! (I'm not aying go ahead and carry.) Illinois is one of the most unfriendly states when it comes to firearms. The consequences would be great if you got caught.

I wouldn't carry while in Illinois. If your made.. You will be arrested. God forbid you have to use it.. you still go to jail. Granted it's better then being dead.. but Illinois will burry you in legal crap and you'll most likely be convicted of a felony and loose all carry privilages in the future for any state..

I forgot one thing. Stay away from Chicagoland (North of I-80).

Thankfully I dont have to even stay in IL. I'll be staying in Paducah KY and driving to my hunting spot in IL the morning. Im going to talk to some of the locals and see what they think about their states gun laws.

Where are you hunting? Is it around Shawnee National Forest? My buddy has a cabin up that way and over the last 5 years it has really become a popular hunting destination.

I used to carry when we were up that way, but now I unload and lock it away when we hit Paducah, Ky. It sucks royally but it is better than dealing with the legal repercussions.

I thought as long as it was unloaded that there was a federal law that allowed me to transport a gun through any state.

You are going to IL, then you are not traveling through it.

The law you speak of says if you are transporting it from a place you can legally posess it to a place you can legally posees it you can transport it through any state. However you said you are to IL

US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

I grew up in Northern IL and hunted Southern IL for many many deer seasons. I've traveled, hunted and visited there many times since moving here over 15 years ago. I always take my handgun. I just unload it, put it in a case in the trunk and put the ammo in the glove box. I always thought it was legal as long as it's done that way. I would call the IL State Police and ask them about it if I were you. Don't take anyone's word here....find out for yourself straight from the ones that will be arresting you if you're doing it wrong. :shrug:

Have fun hunting in IL! Pm me if you're hunting in Williamson co. I can tell you of a wonderful public hunting area there that borders Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge. They issue a good amount of special Refuge Only permits and when all the hunters move in there, the deer move out....and I know one of the less hunted places where they cross the fence to get out of the refuge. ;) I actually lived in Williamson co. for several years after leaving Northern IL and before moving here.

Where are you hunting? Is it around Shawnee National Forest? My buddy has a cabin up that way and over the last 5 years it has really become a popular hunting destination.

I used to carry when we were up that way, but now I unload and lock it away when we hit Paducah, Ky. It sucks royally but it is better than dealing with the legal repercussions.

Im going with a guy I know who has a 1700 acre lease. I think it is in Pope county but Im not 100% sure.

I live in Tennessee and my grandchildren are in St. Louis. It would take me a day out of my way to avoid Illinois. I downloaded the ISP .pdf folder and laminated it. It rests in my glove compartment. The gun gets unloaded at the border and placed into a COM safe in the trunk (locked in safe/locked in trunk) On arriving at my son's house in MO, I resume carry. Do same thing coming back, resuming carry at KY border. If there are any questions by Illinois LEOs, I would present ISP pamphlet and explain that I have endeavored to comply with law. This doesn't work within ten miles in any direction of Chicago city limits. As stated earlier in posts , avoid Chicago like the plague!

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I grew up in IL and lived there for 21 years, until I joined the military. Thank god there are states in this country that are more gun friendly!