Background check ?

Guest rebelyell

Guest rebelyell

My brother was in a private rehab back in 2000.He was not court ordered nor law enforcement was not involved in any way.Will this show up on his background check when he applies for a permit?Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he wants to make sure...tell him to wait until after Jan 1.

From what I can tell Public Chapter 578 will change the law so that only those "adjudicate" or "judicially committed" are prohibited from getting a HCP. Not those that have sought voluntary treatment. See Sections 8, 10, 11 & 12

I have e-mailed the bill's sponsor for clarification on this, but have not heard back from yet.

But to answer the original question, I don't think it would show up on a check.

But until Jan 1 it would still be disqualifer for a HCP. See AG Opinion 09-99. Also giving false information to get a HCP (denying being committed or hospitalized) is ground for revocation later. See 39-17-1352(a)(2)

Edited by Fallguy
  • 1 month later...

There is a difference between something involving the courts and something involving mental health.

There is a database to check a criminal history and it is public record. However there is no central database to check mental health records and usually they are not open to the public.

However one thing the above bill does too is create a database that can be checked to see if anyone has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.

Yeah but the thing is when you went to those public records and pulled up my name it showed nothing. However, it still showed with TBI, that is where the screw up happened.

I understand that the TBI may pull up something that doesn't show up elsewhere. I just meant that pulling up a juvenile arrest and a voluntairy admission to a private hospital are two different things...

But as I said in my post I too advised waiting till the law changed to be on the safe side....

However there is no central database to check mental health records and usually they are not open to the public.

Veterans be aware that the VA has such a database and they do records-share with other agencies. I think it was created about five years ago, but I have no idea how much prior to that the records actually go.