Student Suspended After Advocating Concealed Carry for Students

School Orders Psychological Evaluation

ST. PAUL, Minn., October 10, 2007—Hamline University has suspended a student after he sent an e-mail suggesting that the Virginia Tech massacre might have been stopped if students had been allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus. Student Troy Scheffler is now required to undergo a mandatory “mental health evaluation†before being allowed to return to school. Scheffler, who was suspended without due process just two days after sending the e-mail, has turned to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) for help.

Read the rest here...

http://thefire.org/index.php/article/8475.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, the school is wrong for doing this, but the student could have helped his cause by leaving out racists comments. His emails actually hurt his cause with those statements rather then helping it.

I could see where the school might would want him evaluated as being a racists might could lead to detrimental acts against other students.

Guest bkelm18

Yeah, it's a well known fact that self preservation stems from mental instability. Seriously... I just don't have much hope for this country anymore...

Guest EasilyObsessed

After reading the letters...I am under the impression that the reason for his suspension was not his opinions concerning concealed carry on campus.

After reading the letters...I am under the impression that the reason for his suspension was not his opinions concerning concealed carry on campus.

I missed the links to his actual emails. I'd say you were right about them suspending him for his racial overtones. The emails seemed to ramble a bit and not stay on topic.

I missed the links to his actual emails. I'd say you were right about them suspending him for his racial overtones. The emails seemed to ramble a bit and not stay on topic.

Nothing I read in the students emails warranted him being suspended nor requiring a psych evaluation. The college is using this to punish someone for openly expressing their opinion.

Guest EasilyObsessed
Nothing I read in the students emails warranted him being suspended nor requiring a psych evaluation. The college is using this to punish someone for openly expressing their opinion.
...there may be people on the edge ready to snap. I cant say I blame them, I myself am tired of having to pay my own extremely overpriced tuition to make up for minorities not paying theirs.

Saying something like that right after the Virginia Tech incident probably wasnt in the kids best interest.

After reading the emails, my initial knee-jerk reaction of "Wow! That's some seriously f***** up s***" calmed down somewhat. The university over-reacted, but the student's emails were disturbing and racist to say the least. And given the post-VA Tech atmosphere, the over-reaction is not surprising. The University was probably doing some major "CYA" activity on the advise of counsel in case the student turned out to be violent in the future. The emails did not help a noble cause, nor do they say much about the abilities of the Hamline English faculty...

The only thing I saw wrong with the e-mails was a lack of political correctness... If this young man's comments are racist, then so is every advocate for minorities priviledges on college campuses (or anywhere, for that matter). He made no threats to perpetrate 'hate crimes', he was merely describing the sentiment driving them, which is the reason student's should be allowed to defend themselves in the face of the school's ineptitude at maintaining security in such a hostile environment.

So, he's now being 'mentally evaluated' because he was less than tactful? It's a sad day when one's tone when delivering an opinion prompts accusation of mental instability. The content of his statements was indeed valid, some people simply don't want to hear it, or accept that some people have a controversial opinion on controversial issues.

I agree that he would have been more effective if he had been polite... but the school admin clearly went off the deep end in their reaction. It is indeed their prerogative to accept or reject enrollment in their institution... but if they choose to dismiss people who simply voice a negative opinion about how the school is run, or accuse them of preferential treatment of certain groups; that indicates to me that the school, not the student, is the 'racist' in this situation.

It would seem to me that the best option for avoiding confrontation would have been to simply pack up and go to a school he agreed with...

<snip>

It would seem to me that the best option for avoiding confrontation would have been to simply pack up and go to a school he agreed with...

We often bemoan that people don't stand up for what is right. This student did so and the solution is that he should have tucked tail and ran?

I agree that he would have been more effective if he had been polite

:)

Reality has to come into play at some point. If you approach people as he did, you are going to lose. You need to sit back for a minute and formulate the best way to actually achieve your goal. In your face tactics are stupid because they don't work unless you are in a position of overwhelming authority. Lots of us pro-gun people need to learn that lesson. Sitting back and saying nothing is also stupid, as well as wimpy. You need to figure out a way that does work and go with it. I like to say that God gave us a brain so we can use it.

Tim, I agree that the guy didn't need to tuck tail. He did need to not act like an idiot. He destroyed any chance of having his request honored by his actions. He became the story rather than the need to carry for protection on his satellite campus. I have a feeling being the center of attention is very important to him.

I'm a supporter of achieving goals rather than just spout off my opinions. I try to put myself in a position to get my way by having the authority to make the decisions. But if you don't have that authority, in my experience, finesse generally works a lot better in getting your way than being a loudmouth.

We often bemoan that people don't stand up for what is right. This student did so and the solution is that he should have tucked tail and ran?

The best solution to avoid butting heads with those with their heads up their butts, yes.

I applaud him for what he tried to do (perhaps I didn't make that clear), but in response to the criticism for 'stirring the pot' which he seems to be receiving, that would have been the only way to avoid it. My statement was to illustrate the fact that doing the safest, most PC thing would obviously have simply been to avoid the problem. Very similar to the OC vs. CC issue.

I'm not one to be PC or shy from criticism, hence the veiled sarcasm in making that observation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grizzly Johnson

Well I think he should be able to speak his mind, his wording may have been a little off but sometimes the truth hurts. It's a shame people have to be run over by higher powers. It's time the people of this country stand up, push the chair back, and reclaim our freedom. We have to take a stand somewhere and show these political reps that they suck at their job, elect people that really have "our interests in mind", and put the truth out on the table. Something has to be done in this country. We have guns, we should just break off and start a new revolution and tell the government to stick it where the sun don't shine!!!

Of course he should be allowed to speak his mind, and he did so. But sometimes there are repercussions for speaking your mind. Freedom of speech just means you can say stuff - not that you get a free pass for doing so. He has no right to attend that school and they have every right to set pretty much whatever standards and requirements they choose.

I think he's right that students should be able to carry a gun to, and in, class. I also think he's an idiot and immature in a lot of other ways that would make me question whether he should have a permit to carry.

If you act like a fool, a lot of people will decide you are one.