long gun for handgun fan

JReedEsq

2) You may be accurate with your Glock in a range at 3:30pm in the afternoon; but what about at 3:30am when you've just been awoken to an intruder and you have 1000 things going through your head. With a shotgun, point and shoot; you'll hit the intruder as long as you're facing him.

Complete bull *****. At even 7yds a shotgun's pattern isn't much over an 8" spread.

3) A shotgun blast has a lot less of a chance of going through walls, possibly hitting your wife/children. A bullet from a handgun / AR on the other hand could pentrate a wall under some circumstances, hollow-point or not.

So buy the right ammom 45gr JHP varmit bullets.

If you don't have the $$ for an AR, Saiga 223's are cheaper. The major problem with a .223 gun in the house is NOISE.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, everyone needs a rifle of some sort. You may be gaining great skill with the handgun, but it will always be easier to hit under stress with a rifle, and from far away. My house has a long corridor, which means I may have to make about a 25 yard shot if they come in via the garage-to-kitchen door. That would be child's play with a rifle, but I wouldn't be confident making that shot with a pistol.

xreedx, jimdigriz makes a very good point.

I hunt with a 4 or 6in 44mag revolver, sometimes a T/C Contender, I shoot more than most. With my Para P13 (or Springfield XD9 or Springfield 1911) I'm confident I can pick the eyeball to hit from one end of my house to the other. Bubbiesdad watched me take a Bodyguard 38 (2in) and go 5 for 5 on a paper plate at 50yds first shots of the day. I can shoot a pistol a little bit. I have a Saiga 223 and an AK ready at night. If God forbid I ever have to shoot past either my wife or one of my grandkid's head I want one of my rifles and relatively I suck with a rifle. I want a rifle to the point I'd take either my bolt Savage 22lr or my Henry lever 22lr over my 45 for a headshot near one of my loved one's head.

Originally Posted by jimdigriz viewpost.gif

IMHO, everyone needs a rifle of some sort. You may be gaining great skill with the handgun, but it will always be easier to hit under stress with a rifle, and from far away. My house has a long corridor, which means I may have to make about a 25 yard shot if they come in via the garage-to-kitchen door. That would be child's play with a rifle, but I wouldn't be confident making that shot with a pistol.

25 yard shot with a shotgun is not hard to do - and has a better chance of hitting than a rifle or pistol at that range...

JeffSig, the 45 would not "fall short" particularly in the distances HD has... :shake: Kinda funny tho, even if it it based on stereotypes.

XREED:___________

Mossberg 20 ga pump loaded with the biggest size buckshot you can buy. Make shure she knows exactly how it works. Take it to the range and do some practice-- burn lots of powder thru it. The shotgun is a great HD tool, the greatest, I think. Three are two in my house right now, along with handguns.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest Bluemax

In your situation, I woulld take a look at a Taurus Judge. It fires a 410 shotgun shell and I understand that a defense round is now available for it thats even better than 00. It will fit in your safe, you won't have to worry about over penatration, it's a wheelgun, so it's simple to operate. Last but not least, the Judge also will fire 45acp rounds for your backwood hikes. Good luck with your choice

Never heard of "The box-o- truth". Very intreresting stuff.

Need to shoot through a pig carcass and see how much wall penetration there would be.

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread.

Just remember the BoT is nothing more than an excuse to shoot stuff. It is interesting and fun, but, don't make decisions based on what you see there.

In your situation, I woulld take a look at a Taurus Judge. It fires a 410 shotgun shell and I understand that a defense round is now available for it thats even better than 00. It will fit in your safe, you won't have to worry about over penatration, it's a wheelgun, so it's simple to operate. Last but not least, the Judge also will fire 45acp rounds for your backwood hikes. Good luck with your choice

1) it shoots 45 Colt not 45 acp

2) 3-4 pellets isn't much

3) for the price I've been seeing on the Judge he could get a Mossberg 500 and a good bit of buckshot and birdshot (for practice).