Whats the best way to remove rust from a muzzle loaders bore?

Guest VolDaddy

Guest VolDaddy

I had a 50 cal given to me. Only problem it was never cleaned and would not shoot. Its a bolt action without the break down wrench. I removed the bolt and cut down a socket to remove the nipple holder (not sure of the correct term). It was still loaded! Cleaded the small hole but the sabbot is still stuck in the rusty barrel. I have it soaking in brake cleaner overnight. Any suggestions.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

Had a similar thing , what i did was got a dial that is just a hair smaller than bore. after removing nipple and breech plug drive it out. then just clean the rust with some break free.

This may be a lost cause. You can take the stock off and soak all the metal in diesel fuel for a couple hours. Then clean it up good with a solvent like gun scrubber. You will need to get a light in there and see how pitted the bore is.

You can probably buy a replacement breech plug. If you have a bunch of rust and crud in the flash hole then you risk not getting good ignition.

I would clean it up good and shoot it. It may shoot fine, it may shoot like hell from the rust pitting the barrel.

Put the nipple back in (to stop it from leaking)

Then pour the barrel full of cleaner (your choice) I use kroil, or a good penetrating oil.

Next thing to do is get a bullet puller. Most muzzle loader cleaning kit have them. The Thompson Center ones do.

Then you have to put ALOT of manual work into trying to remove all the rust.

You'll need to get the barrel as smooth and free from rust as you can.

Depending on the severity of the rust, it might have pitted the barrel pretty bad.

And I say you will likely have SOME pitting, but as long as it is not too severe you can still get decent accuracy.

It all comes down to how much time you are willing to put in to it.

If you see the bore is pitted very bad. I'd try to find a good use one that has been taken care of properly.

Guest VolDaddy

The breach plug is fine it cleaned up good. Cleaned the small hole with a pipe cleaner. I believe The sabbot will come out its one of the newer ones with the plastic that seats it well. After soaking over night im going to take wooden dowell rod and try to tap it out.

Like has already been said ... you might have a piece of garbage there instead of a rifle. :)

However: I have seen rusty bores that still shot fairly well. The pits in the bore will cause an abundance of build-up ... either lead, plastic, or copper depending upon what is traveling through it. This "might" not be a problem with a muzzle-loader because you are not firing several rounds in succession.

I would definitely put in some work (not money) and see what you end up with.

Best wishes and good luck!