FTF slide locking back on my SW99 compact

Guest nokomom

Guest nokomom

Hey, We went to the Bullzeye range today and I kept having some sort of funky issue with my gun. The slide kept locking back after a few shots and would not chamber the next round. I would have to pull the slide back to chamber it. Any thoughts on what the heck I am doing wrong today? My husband shot some rounds with my gun and didn't have any issues. I used three different magazines and checked the springs. I'm probably gonna go back to the range tomorrow and try to fix whatever the heck I am doing.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your thumb any where on or near the Slide catch?

I haven't shot an SW99 series, but I do know that some time under recoil

your thumb might press up on the slide release and cause the slide to remain open.

Or, maybe the slide catch spring that keeps the catch down is weak or broken.

And it is flying up under recoil. If your husband is not letting the pistol recoil up as much as you that may cause the problem when you are shooting it.

Other than that, I really don't know. I have no experience with that particular pistol.

Guest nokomom

We checked to make sure my thumb was not coming up and hitting the slide release. I have never had this problem with it before. I didn't think about the slide catch spring. Going back to Bullzeye tomorrow to try and figure it out! (Maybe its just time to buy another gun he he he!)

• Administrator

I had a similar problem with an M&P 9mm Compact. It ended up being a weak spring on the slide release lever that wasn't holding the lever down as it should. S&W serviced it free of charge, including shipping both ways. I'd recommend contacting their customer service department and having your SW99 sent back for a checkup.

I had a traning session at BullzEye this evening! We must have just missed eachother. Please let me know when you will be going to the range tomorrow, maybe I can hop in.

Ben

Guest nokomom

Met Ben at the range today and no problems with slide locking back. Gun didn't FTF once. My grip must have been off Wednesday.

My husband and I really enjoyed doing a little mini training thing with Ben today. If any of you are in the Memphis area, check him out.

Met Ben at the range today and no problems with slide locking back. Gun didn't FTF once. My grip must have been off Wednesday.

My husband and I really enjoyed doing a little mini training thing with Ben today. If any of you are in the Memphis area, check him out.

Glad you enjoyed that little taste of training. Also glad your gun didnt act up.:popcorn: