Standard GI 1911 for carry?

gunsablazin

I have carried 1911's off and on for years, some stock guns and some with all the bells and whistles. My current carry gun is a Springfield Loaded model with adjustable sights, ambi safety, magwell etc. I started carrying it when I sold my Mil-Spec gun to help finance a motorcycle purchase, and I don't consider it an ideal carry gun, it is my pistol of choice for IDPA and does that nicely. I am considering a GI gun for my next CCW because it will have small snag free sights, and none of the do-dads I like on a competition gun. In its most basic form it served our soldiers well on the battlefield for 60 years or so, and would seem to me that it would get the job done nicely for daily carry. Does anyone see any flaws in my choice? If so what would you want instead? (I have carried a Glock and don't want another) Please stick to 1911s.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I don't see a problem with carrying one, but remember if you have to use it at night, you won't have night sights or an accessory rail w/ a light-laser attached to it...

It's all about whatever you feel comfortable with. Some folks don't care about night sights (or even good one's for that matter), some on the other hand want them available in case they need them. I prefer Novaks for their snag-free design and night sight capability.

When carrying a 1911, you also need to be comfortable carrying it cocked and locked.

Same as Jhatmaker, I'd just say better sights couldn't hurt... you may never even need 'em, but the sights on GI's tend to be pretty poor yet still stick up in a way that might snag compared to Novak types...

Guest Matchguy

For what it's worth, I carried a 1911 (MkIV Series 70) as an off duty gun for years in completely stock, unmodified condition. I started out with a Combat Commander for a year or two and replaced it with the full size pistol. There's not a thing in the world wrong with carrying a dirt simple pistol......carry guns are for gunfights and the snob factor doesn't earn you extra points. The more crap you hang on a gun the greater the chance of a failure, so I'm sure your plain-jane .45 will serve you very well. I also carried a full-size Browning Hi Power as an off duty gun for a number of years, also factory stock. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine as long as you know how to use what you're carrying.

MG

PS - A lot of us in law enforcement had to give up our SA autos when our employers outlawed them for off duty use, and I subsequently had to adopt the DA/SA guns for carry. But if I carried another SA auto, it would be (1)full-size, (2)factory stock, and (3) dirt simple. I don't mess around with carry guns.....the stakes are too high.

Edited by Matchguy

I too carried a bone stock series 70 off duty from 80 to 84, had to use it once. Needless to say since I don't have any extra holes in me, it did the job. My everyday carry is a Mil-Spec I put a better extractor, got rid if the ILS and went to the standard spring rates, plus a "little" love on the sear and hammer. Over 3k rds an NO failures. As Ive gotten older I found I just want reliability ,an a good trigger. Good sights are great IF, you got the time an distance.

I enjoyed carrying my Kimber Pro Carry II for the winter months. Unfortunatly, for summer months it wasn't the best thing. Everyone is different for a reason, the only thing you can do is to try it and test it. If ya like it, keep it, if ya don't, go on to the next gun......lord knows there's too many choices these days to not at least try something once....:biglol:

Basic 1911 with different sites seems to be the decent choice to start out with....

I was going to start a new thread about this but since we are already talking about GI 1911's:

I am a complete 1911 newbie. Sure I ooh and aah over all the pictures around here, but I don't know them inside and out a like a lot of people, so please forgive me for an ignorant question.

How hard is it to get a real, plain, all steel, GI, military issue 1911? Just as the OP described. Plain and original.

Also, How much should I expect to pay for such a gun?

(Sorry if I hijacked our thread)

Thanks for any advice

Rebtl

I was going to start a new thread about this but since we are already talking about GI 1911's:

I am a complete 1911 newbie. Sure I ooh and aah over all the pictures around here, but I don't know them inside and out a like a lot of people, so please forgive me for an ignorant question.

How hard is it to get a real, plain, all steel, GI, military issue 1911? Just as the OP described. Plain and original.

Also, How much should I expect to pay for such a gun?

(Sorry if I hijacked our thread)

Thanks for any advice

Rebtl

Try a Springfield GI or a Rock Island Armory 1911. Both basic as basic can be and both are definate workhorses....

Looking at anywhere from $400 used to $600 new.....give or take. :wall:

I alternate between a modified Springfield 1911 and a Smith and Wesson M&P 4" .45, and honestly, I love my 1911 when I do carry it (one of several). It's thin, easily concealed (I'm 6'3"), and the weight doesn't bother me at all.

If you're looking for a great GI-model, the Springfield is an excellent choice, in which you can add reliability modifications later on (or immediately), and still have an afforable firearm that will serve you well. Sorry that I'm late on this thread, but I don't run around the forums too often.

Guest Ghostrider

I bought my mil-spec used from a forum member.

It's not a range gun, it's not a show piece, it's not pretty.

What it is - is a bonafide, dirt simple, completely reliable, 45 cal man stopper. I keep mine loaded with Remington Golden Sabers. While I've never had to use it in a gun fight. I have no doubt it would do the job perfectly.

I know you want to keep this to 1911s, but don't rule out the Springfield XD, it's thicker, a double stack, but fits big hands a bit better and shares most all the other pluses of the 1911. Plus, you don't have the exposed hammer. With which I've embarrassed myself more than once.

Just a thought. I totally love my 1911 for carry - but the XD has put my commander into the nightstand, and my mil-spec on TDY on my desk.

Hmm,So that young thing (the Glock) kicked you to the curb huh?.More like you were afraid she was going to blow up on you.:rolleyes:.My first sugestion in what you are looking for is a Colt 1991A1.You can still find them reasonably priced and they have good sights,a beveled mag well reliabilty work and most importantly to a reloader the lowered and flared ejection port.They also made a Commander and an Officers Model as well.Second choice would be the Springfield Mil-Spec.They have the same features.I don't blame you those plastic pistols just don't have the same feel that an all steel one does.

Hi! ET45,

Its not that the Glock is a bad pistol, far from it! I still have one, but as you say the all steel 1911 has its own feel. I'll always be a 1911 guy at heart. I'm going to get another Mil-Spec or a plain GI gun to carry.Hopefully it will never be used for its intended purpose anyway, so 9 rds. on tap should be plenty. I will admit though, if I were knowingly going into harms way I would carry the Glock to back up my AR.

If anybody knows where there is a nice used 1911 for sale please PM me.

(I'm looking to spend around $400-450))

Edited by gunsablazin
I enjoyed carrying my Kimber Pro Carry II for the winter months. Unfortunatly, for summer months it wasn't the best thing. Everyone is different for a reason, the only thing you can do is to try it and test it. If ya like it, keep it, if ya don't, go on to the next gun......lord knows there's too many choices these days to not at least try something once....:cool:

Basic 1911 with different sites seems to be the decent choice to start out with....

What holster are you using with your pro carry? I just picked up a pro carry and I'm trying to decide on a holster.